Cost of Propane

/ Cost of Propane #1  

rozett

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7360SS & Craftsman GT3000 23 HP w/50
The CFO called the propane supplier yesterday in preparation of refilling the house tank. She was flabbergasted when they told her that it was $3.11 a gallon. This seems unreal. What are others paying for propane?

Also, we have three tanks on the property. The 1000 gallon tank on the generator is about 3/4 full. Given the current price, we would like to move 100 gallons from the generator tank to the house tank. Obviously, the propane supplier says they can't do this (cause they just want to sell more). We have some calls into gas repair/service outfits, but have not had any calls returned. Are there any laws against this transfer? Anyone have any suggestions on how to facilitate the transfer between tanks?

/ Cost of Propane #2  
We recently paid $1.75 here in Morgantown, WV.

/ Cost of Propane #3  
In the eastern panhandle of WV (about 3 to 4 hours south of Morgantown, WV) I had propane delivered and they charged me almost $4 a gallon. I went and bought my own 100 pound tank and had it filled for $39. I think a 100 pound tank holds about 40 gallon (I think the formula was around 2.5 pounds per gallon). Needless to say, I will be calling Amerigas to come pick up their tank.

/ Cost of Propane #4  
Seems like I remember that propane weighs 4.25 pounds per gallon. Since you can't fill a propane tank to 100%, a 100 pound tank will hold something like 19 to 21 gallons.

/ Cost of Propane #5  
Here in central NC I paid 1.75 delivered also, about a month ago.
Cord of firewood has gone from $55 to $80 also...

gary

/ Cost of Propane #6  
Thanks for the clarification, the old brain isn't what it used to be. Just got the tank filled a couple of weeks ago and asked the guy then and have all ready forgotten.

/ Cost of Propane #7  
<font color="blue"> "we would like to move 100 gallons from the generator tank to the house tank. Obviously, the propane supplier says they can't do this (cause they just want to sell more). We have some calls into gas repair/service outfits, but have not had any calls returned. Are there any laws against this transfer? Anyone have any suggestions on how to facilitate the transfer between tanks?" </font>

The nature of liquid propane is such that it has to be pumped under high pressure. The only way I can think of that they could transfer propane from one tank to another would be to send an empty bobtail truck, set up a pump on your existing tank, pump it into the truck, then pump it off the truck into the other tank. I think a reasonable charge for something like this might be $500, or $5 per gallon in your case. That's probably why you aren't getting any return calls.

Who owns the tanks? If you own them and have proof of ownership (like a bill of sale or invoice), then you can call any gas company to get the best price and have them filled. If the gas company owns the tanks, you're stuck -- you have to get the gas from them. If the gas company owns the tanks and you find you can get a better price from another supplier, and your bill is completely paid at your current supplier, you can switch suppliers. They will do one of two things -- empty and remove the existing tanks and bring new ones in, or the new supplier will arrange to buy the existing tanks from the old supplier.

/ Cost of Propane #8  
"...the propane supplier says they can't do this..."
2 reasons they "can't" do it - There's no money in it for them, and if for some reason you have contamination in your tank you would be contaminating their tank.

"Are there any laws against this transfer?" No.

Happy Holidays!

/ Cost of Propane
Thank you, Don. I suspected that the transfer would have to be done with an intermediary truck, but wasn't sure. Ownership of the tanks is a big question. The previous owner's father did the renovations that resulted in the installation of propane. There is a suspicion that the old man bought the tanks (it was his style), but his son can't (or won't) find any paperwork. Since I have only paid cash for deliveries, looks like we will be looking for a new supplier and removing the house tank.

/ Cost of Propane #10  
I can't believe what you all are paying for propane. I bought a few thousand gallons about a month ago for $1.20 and thought that was high. Yesterday, I spoke with one of the local suppliers and he said that as of yesterday it had went down to $1.09.