Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #1  

MFWD

Silver Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC35D with cab, a 2007 New Holland Skid Steer and a 1970's 154 Cub Lo-Boy, 2016 John Deere XUV 550 Gator
Hello,
I know this question might not be in the right section , but I thought more people would read it here !! I want to get a snow plow for my skid steer but I'm not sure what width to buy. I'm not sure how much you should angle the plow and that will determine how wide of a plow I should buy. I know that the plow (while angled) needs to be as wide or wider than the width of your machine so as to keep your wheels out of the deep snow. So is a 15, 20, 25 or 30 degree angle the right one ????? So somebody help me out with your experience !!!! Thanks

MFWD

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #2  
Unless you are building your own;you aren't going to have a lot of control what the angle is.I would guess 30 degrees to be optimum but it depends on snow conditions and traction.
Mine is hydraulic angle but not that finite.As long as it's wider when fully angled you should be alright.
Mine is a 8ft.converted truck plow mounted to my FEL,so if it worked on a truck it should and does work on my tractor.

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #3  
I have a 6 foot plow on my bobcat. I originally thought that I would need at least a 7 foot plow to get beyond the width of the skid. But as it turns out, the 6 foot has worked really, really well for me. It was for a truck and a friend gave it to me. I converted it for the skid and I have hydraulic angling. I would recommend getting one that you can angle because I find I use that feature a lot. It sounds like you may be looking at one with a fixed angle? I wouldn't like that.

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #4  
Most plows angle 30. The HLA blades angle 35.

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #5  
I got a 6' plow with my Bobcat 743, when I replaced the machine with a 773 I extended the plow to 8' and am super happy with that. The extra two feet reduces the number of passes I have to make on the 2 miles of road that I plow with it from 3 to 2. I can choose between 3 fixed angles in each direction and find that works well. I rarely change it from the 30deg setting and rather than flip it to the other side I just plow in the opposite direction.

Every year I am tempted to add hydraulic angling but I just don't think it is worth the effort.

If you are on mostly flat ground then you may not need them, but I find that chains on my rear wheels is necessary for me to handle the steep hills on our road. Before the chains I put the Bobcat into the ditch more than once. Spend the $700+ on good tire chains and you will be very happy to have them.

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #6  
Before the chains I put the Bobcat into the ditch more than once. Spend the $700+ on good tire chains and you will be very happy to have them.
I'll second that opinion.

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #7  
Plow angle really depends on snow conditions because I've had 8 inches of heavy wet snow push my pick up around while trying to windrow even at the slightest angle. I plan on doing the same thing with my Deere 2305 tractor with a 6ft plow from a truck I'm going to order HD Diamond tire chains front and back as well as fill the tires with windshield washer fluid.

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #8  
Hello,
I know this question might not be in the right section , but I thought more people would read it here !! I want to get a snow plow for my skid steer but I'm not sure what width to buy. I'm not sure how much you should angle the plow and that will determine how wide of a plow I should buy. I know that the plow (while angled) needs to be as wide or wider than the width of your machine so as to keep your wheels out of the deep snow. So is a 15, 20, 25 or 30 degree angle the right one ????? So somebody help me out with your experience !!!! Thanks

MFWD

What is your tread width, and what is the max angle of the plow you are looking at? That's how you would figure what blade width is the minimum to cover your tracks.

As a general rule of thumb, go 1' larger. 6' machine width = 7' plow.

Are you buying a fixed angle plow? Most are adjustable, either hydraulically or manually... I wouldn't buy one stuck at one angle.

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #9  
7 1/2' work great at 30 degress,rolls snow foot away from back tires.

/ Correct angle of snow plow for proper plowing #10  
Path width (cleared) = Plow width x cosine (y); where y is the angle of the blade. (e,g. 8' plow at 30 degrees: 8' x cos(30)= 8' x .866 =6.9ft wide path cleared).

Gee, I'm a tree !! :acorn: :palmtree: