Cordless Tools vs. Other Options

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #71  
I'm totally spoiled by my Dewalt 20v tools. Still can't believe what I can do with a circular saw, jig saw, pole saw and so on with a battery powered tool.

I bought a Dewalt grease gun (because I'm lazy maybe) and then added others as time moved on over a couple years, and as a result I have probably 5 batteries between two locations (house and lake), and usually another in the trunk of my truck, and with that amount there's literally always one or two ready to go - much easier than managing just one or two batteries.

Thus IMO when you get 3+ tools and 4+ batteries you tend to have a ready one within reach. And if you have a charger or two on your workbench (etc.) in the locations you frequent it's easy just to pop it on there.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #72  
Absolutely! When using one of my work lights, it's full light until it shuts off. The worst is being on a roof and the battery dies. That's another reason I like the new batteries - they have a gauge I can check before I go to one of those really inconvenient situations.
I have had a cordless shaver quit on me while shaving, leaving some whiskers pinched in the cutterhead. Ouch!

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #73  
I have had lithium ion batteries still work after being idel for a year. They may slowly discharge, but it is very slowly.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #74  
We exclusively use the Dewalt 20v line and have roughly 25 drills, impacts, saws, routers, sanders and many other miscellaneous tools. Been very happy with just about all the tools.
The drills all came with batteries that are 1.5ah or 2ah which last long enough for drills. The bigger tools we use 4ah or 5ah which last considerably longer. I guess it depends what kind of work youre doing and for how long.

Batteries also don't last forever and you should always keep them fully charged or else they won't last as long whether they're Lion or Nicad. Our 20v batteries have had great life on average though. I just chucked one the other day that was dated 2011.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #75  
I have Dewalt NiCads that are over 10 years old and still work like the day I bought them. Key to NiCads is to run them to dead before recharging. You will avoid the memory effect of NiCads. I also like my Lithium batts in my other cordless tools. Like others say though when they run out they are gone. No slow down. My Milwaukee cordess wrench has a battery charge indicator on it which really saves me. It is my go to tool for working on mechanical things. Best wrench I ever bought.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #76  
I've never had an issue with my robot 40v and Milwaukee 12 and 18 volt. Store them correctly and make sure you give them a full charge before your project. All are lithiums...

My drone lipo batteries will drain 75% after a few days so I always remember to either keep one charged or charge them before I plan to fly.

Plan ahead.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #77  
So I have a Dewalt 18V drill and like the flexibility. I don't like however that most of the time I use it both batteries are dead and need a re-charge. I do not do this work for a living and many times find myself just reaching for the corded and grabbing an extension cord. I am wondering if the newer stuff is any different in terms of holding charge or if you are still just always charging stuff all the time like a second job.

I hate the idea of being tied into battery make and therefore tool brand. Has anyone gone a different route and just bought a Jackery (or other) battery generator and still just used your tools? It seems like the batteries on those last a long time from experience. It could also be a dumb
idea. You can get one for the price of a few smaller batteries let alone the 60/80v stuff. Any you can take it camping on the weekend so it isnt' just for tools or use it to keep things going if the power goes out. Seems like it would be more versatile.

Most of the time I work, I'm near a plug so all of this is irrelevant.
Cordless is awesome for most applications....however, when I have used bits like an auger bit to drill through cross ties the batteries runs down fast. When I drill something that "bogs" the bit down the battery seems to go quickly. The amount of torque does not seem to have the same effect as I have torqued the heads of lag bolt without seeing a significant loss of battery. I am welcome to any thoughts.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #78  
So I have a Dewalt 18V drill and like the flexibility. I don't like however that most of the time I use it both batteries are dead and need a re-charge. I do not do this work for a living and many times find myself just reaching for the corded and grabbing an extension cord. I am wondering if the newer stuff is any different in terms of holding charge or if you are still just always charging stuff all the time like a second job.

I hate the idea of being tied into battery make and therefore tool brand. Has anyone gone a different route and just bought a Jackery (or other) battery generator and still just used your tools? It seems like the batteries on those last a long time from experience. It could also be a dumb
idea. You can get one for the price of a few smaller batteries let alone the 60/80v stuff. Any you can take it camping on the weekend so it isnt' just for tools or use it to keep things going if the power goes out. Seems like it would be more versatile.

Most of the time I work, I'm near a plug so all of this is irrelevant.
18 volt drills will work with 12 or 24 volts!. I 'wired' a dead 18v battery with 6 feet of 14ga extension wire. Female clips on the other end. I have a 30 cal ammo can which holds 2 - 12v small lead batteries. The 12v charger fits in the can. I carry the can and almost all jobs can be handled with the 6 foot cord. Charge the lead batteries at night and they will last all day long. There is enough space in the can for extra bits and so on.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #79  
We exclusively use the Dewalt 20v line and have roughly 25 drills, impacts, saws, routers, sanders and many other miscellaneous tools. Been very happy with just about all the tools.
The drills all came with batteries that are 1.5ah or 2ah which last long enough for drills. The bigger tools we use 4ah or 5ah which last considerably longer. I guess it depends what kind of work youre doing and for how long.

Batteries also don't last forever and you should always keep them fully charged or else they won't last as long whether they're Lion or Nicad. Our 20v batteries have had great life on average though. I just chucked one the other day that was dated 2011.
Unless they are constantly in use, do not keep lithium ion batteries at full chat.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #80  
I bought a drill and driver set of dewalt 20v in 2014. They have been great and I just burned the drill out last week. I have built a house with that drill including drilling all the post and beam joinery with a two foot auger bit. In 2015 I bought a similar set of Makita tools so I could have redundancy in some tools and also liked some of their tool line. I have 5 Makita tools including an angle grinder and reciprocating saw. I have 6 Dewalt tools also. I cant imagine going back to corded drills. Being able to take the grinder and reciprocating saw out on the farm if needed and not have to drag a generator is awesome.
The batteries are stupid expensive.