Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #1  

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
So I went in to rural king after xmas to purchase a dewalt battery powered grease gun. They had an 18v and a 20v. All my stuff (only 2 items - 1 drill 1 impact) is 18v...do you make the investment in your older nicad 18v system or do you buy and move forward with the lithium 20v which has more offerings and seems to use newer technology. You then have mixed batteries and more stuff out on your shelf. I have been wrestling with this and it may not be a big deal and it's just commonplace for everyone to have mixed battery setups and what not.....

Next questions - What are some battery powered power tools you cannot live without. I only have a drill, 1/4 impact, and now a grease gun. Looking at purchasing a sawzall....any suggestions? Anything I need that I cannot live without and I just don't know it? Stuff you use all the time for various projects that is helpful for us out here in the country.

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #2  
How did I ever get by without my Ryobi 18v air broom? I use it more often than any other battery powered tool.

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #3  
I'm a contractor, so I use my cordless tools all the time, every day. My impact driver is the most used by a huge margin. I rarely use my drill. My cordless circular saw gets a lot of use. I have framing blades and finish blades for it, masonry and metal cutting blades for it and Hardie blades. If it's a small job, like trimming out a bathroom, I'll use the circular saw over hauling in my compound miter saw. Unless it's crown, then I have to use my compound miter saw and coping saw. My sawzall also gets a lot of use on the job when doing demo work. But it's also my wife's favorite tool for trimming branches. I have half a dozen tree pruning blades for it that make it fast and safe for her to do her thing around our place. Usually one or two batteries is enough for her, but I always have at least four batteries. I think I have five right now, and will be ordering two more fairly soon. Lastly, I have a radio that runs off of the same batteries that I use every day. It's nice not to have to find an outlet, especially when remodeling and there are no outlets in the room. I'll have a row of battery chargers going somewhere else in the house, but I like the radio close to me so I can shut the door and my client not have to hear it.

Next on my list will probably be an 4 1/2 inch grinder. I use my cordless one when I need it, but I don't carry it in my truck, so when I need it, I have to load it up for the day. I'm also thinking about a cordless oscillating saw. I keep a corded one in my truck, but hate having to search for an outlet when on different jobs. Lastly, I might get a battery powered miter saw. I'm still unsure if it's worth the price, or a waste of money.

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #4  
If you buy the DeWalt 20V tools, check the battery that comes with the unit. They have large capacity batteries, and smaller capacity. Those two have dramatically different run times. (I just got two large capacity batteries for Christmas!)

My can't-do-without battery tool is the drill which I often use as a screwdriver. The one that saves the most effort has to be the battery grease gun!

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #5  
I have a huge assortment of cordless power toold due to my business. I still have some 12 volt tools lying around even.

I traded in a set of milwaukee 18 volt for a complete set of dewalt 20 volt ultra lithium a few years ago. These tools last alot longer than any 18 volt tool i own.the problem is, there is a variety of different 20 volt tools. Get the highest amp hour battery you can find. Home depot always has sales on cordless tools, but usually have low amp hour batteries.

I also have a set of 28 volt milwaukee tools. These are mega power tools, by a replacemant battery is a killer. There about $150 for a non generac battery replacement.

As far as what i use most often....the impact driver is top of the list. I even have a full set if impact drills that run on it. Second would be a hammer drill, then the sawzall and lastly the circullar saw.

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #6  
I love my Dewalt 20v screwgun for light duty tasks, but aside from that I hate cordless tools. I have never been happy with battery life, having them charged and ready when I need them (yes, my fault not the tools) or just plain not enough power.

I am sure I am in the small minority on this one, but I'll take a corded or air tool over cordless without blinking.

Last edited:
   / Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #7  
After some false starts with other brands, I standardized on Makita 18v. Far and away the tool I use the most is the impact driver. And it is not just for light duty or odd jobs. I built our new deck using about 3000 stainless steel screws. Swapping two batteries back and forth I can go all day. I also have the sawzall, 7 1/4" circular saw, 3 5/8" metal cutting circular saw, 1/2" drill, 4 1/2" angle grinder, 1/2" impact wrench, and 36v leaf blower (uses two 18v batteries). They are all in regular, almost daily use for one thing or the other. I seldom use corded tools anymore, mainly the Bosch oscillating cutter and the heavy duty Milwaukee 1/2" drill. Probably my next cordless tool will be the bandsaw. Or maybe the 36v chainsaw.

I also have an older Bosch set of 12v tools, an impact driver and a 3/8" drill. I keep that in the house for small jobs. Those tools work fine too, they are the only holdover from when I was experimenting with different brands.

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #8  
Ridgid 18-Volt GEN5X Cordless Lithium-Ion Combo Kit (5-Tool) with (2) 4.0Ah HYPER Lithium-Ion Batteries, Charger and Bag from HD plus i used HF 20% of coupon ,I tried to get a set for my daughter they would not take the coupon , My farther went to a different HD and they took it 20% off, Free batteries and service for life with registration

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #9  
I used to have nicad cordless drills. I'd buy a new one every couple of years because the batteries would crap out. Then my wife bought me a Milwaukee 18 V lithium ion drill/driver set. I am in heaven. I have had that set for years. The batteries are still strong, it has much more power, and the tool design is great. I recently added a circular saw, angle grinder and hackzall to the line up (in that order).

If you still have nicad tools give them away to someone (while they still work) and buy good lithium ion replacements. You will be happier, more efficient and save money in the long run.

/ Cordless Operated Power Tools - Your Favorite #10  
...do you make the investment in your older nicad 18v system or do you buy and move forward with the lithium 20v which has more offerings and seems to use newer technology. You then have mixed batteries and more stuff out on your shelf. I have been wrestling with this and it may not be a big deal and it's just commonplace for everyone to have mixed battery setups and what not......

I too am wrestling with this one, but I believe I've found the solution - as my 18V current NiCad tools are strong, but the batteries are dying. There are De-Walt adapters that will allow you to run current 18V tools w/ the 20V LION packs, so I'm moving to new tools purchased being new 20V LION, and a couple adapters for the 18V legacy tools to scrape all the life I can from them, the tools themselves are gutless, they just don't die despite being dropped on concrete numerous times!

This way, I can move forward in technology without scrapping my old tools.