'coon hunters be envious

/ 'coon hunters be envious #1  

rotr

Bronze Member
Tractor
none yet
\'coon hunters be envious

Just wanted to let you 'coon hunters know that I just aquired a new three week old puppy today. The father is Red Bone Hound and the mother was (died after birthing 16 puppies) Rhodisian Ridgeback. Now you talk about a "huntin mix". I think this pup is going to be it!

Ron

/ 'coon hunters be envious #2  
Re: \'coon hunters be envious

We have a similar Ridgeback/Redbone/Yellow Lab mixed breed dog. He is absolutely the best natured animal I have had the pleasure to know....very loyal, smart and generally obedient. Although he answers to Buddy or about anything else, his less official indian name is "full o beans" - he is all personality.

Enjoy your pup!

/ 'coon hunters be envious #3  

I had a yellow cur /leopard cur mix one time....talk about a good dog,tree squirrels like u would not believe,stop a snake from getting close to the house,watch dog/companion dog.

/ 'coon hunters be envious #4  

My son bred a red wolf with a white wolf, and got a combination that eats any animal that shows up in the neighborhood.

/ 'coon hunters be envious #5  

I will be sure to call before I come over.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 'coon hunters be envious #6  

Wow, 16 puppies! That must have been a handful to raise (the ones that lived) without a *****. I hope he had lots of help raising them all.
Do you know what the person who crossed these two breeds was trying to accomplish? I don't see how a Rhodesian could add any hunting skills that would be useful to coon hunting. Maybe speed or endurance. They were bred to hunt by sight and are generally not barkers. Hopefully the pups inherited their sire's instincts for hunting. Only about half the RRs being bred today even have any of their old hunting instincts left. Sad, but they certainly don't lack personality. Good luck with your pup! Here's a pic of my boy, Dart when he was about a year old.

Fred

Attachments

• 8-165131-DSC00035.JPG
    8-165131-DSC00035.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 83
   / 'coon hunters be envious #7  

rotr, Sorry his momma died. Hopefully she lived long enough to give the puppies a good shot of colostrum. A lack of a sufficient supply of good colostrum can have a serious health impact on the puppy for quite a while.

Best to you,

Patrick

/ 'coon hunters be envious

She is healthy as and eats like a horse. Right now, at 3 1/2 weeks old, she is larger than our mini dachshund. She is learning to play and growls and waddles after the dachshund.

Today I gave her a sponge bath and then toweled her off. Well, she didn't like the fluff treatment I was giving with the towel and let me know by growling and gumming my arm for a bite.

I really think she is going to be a bruiser, but a lover also.