cool truck

/ cool truck #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
An acquaintance stopped by a bit ago; helping on some RV repair I am doing. I had not seen his truck before.

He has a Chevy 30 series crew cab 4x4, looked like an 80's something. He put a 12 valve Cummins in it a few years ago. It fit right in there. Had to do some front body support work for the radiator and intercooler. It pretty much looked like it just always belonged there. He definitely did a clean installation.

I had to think for minute when he pulled up; I thought that is an odd sounding 350 or 454... Then I saw the "C" emblem on it.

I have not been around many 12 valves; they have definite different sound from the 24 valve motors.

/ cool truck #2  
An acquaintance stopped by a bit ago; helping on some RV repair I am doing. I had not seen his truck before.

He has a Chevy 30 series crew cab 4x4, looked like an 80's something. He put a 12 valve Cummins in it a few years ago. It fit right in there. Had to do some front body support work for the radiator and intercooler. It pretty much looked like it just always belonged there. He definitely did a clean installation.

I had to think for minute when he pulled up; I thought that is an odd sounding 350 or 454... Then I saw the "C" emblem on it.

I have not been around many 12 valves; they have definite different sound from the 24 valve motors.
And far easier to install. Mechanical fuel injection instead of the wire controlled later ones.

/ cool truck #4  
There is a guy around here that has a 60's GM truck running a 2004 Dmax. Weird pulling up to the stop light behind him and hear that thing idling.

Chris

/ cool truck #5  
I've thought about that or a late 90's Powerstroke into an older Class C Motorhome. You can pick them up for a few grand with very low miles on them. They are way underpowered and not very nicely finished off on the inside, but if it was cheap enough and you had a quality diesel engine in it that was able to get 15 mpg, it might be a worty project.

Eddie

/ cool truck #6  
   / cool truck #7  
It is probably ultimate fighter Matt Hughes. He has one with a Dmax. I think he has a picture up on his site: Matt Hughes - 9-Time UFC Welterweight Champion

I go to Scheid's deal every year and they are the people I had a lot of the work on the '96 Dodge I had. I was there a week or so ago when Matt was there. I didn't see him because he had quite a crowd waiting to see him. I didn't run my truck this time (I ran it about a month ago drag racing) because I only had a short period of time before I had to leave for CA on a business trip.

I did see Matt's truck though. It's pretty sweet. I heard all sorts of rumors being batted around about him not having to spend hardly any of his own money for the upgrade. I suppose if he didn't it's a hard earned fringe benefit from being a 9 time UFC champion.

/ cool truck
   / cool truck #9  
I think it would be really cool to swap a Cummins in to a '40's Powerwagon. Update the axles, and springs; not those old 12 leaf packs...

Something like this, but with a standard bed.

YouTube - 1958 Dodge Power Wagon with Cummins Turbo Diesel

If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw that video a couple of years ago and was very impressed with the vehicle. The ability and imagination of some guys is simply amazing. I'm sure you can easily figure all of the fabrication of unique parts required for some of these creations. I didn't see any of the work done, but a guy who has done some work for me just finished putting a 572ci big block in a '67 Camaro for a guy and even included a slick installation of A/C using Vintage Air components along with hand made components. The car is not finished yet, but I have a feeling that it will have a bit more power than 302/290hp engine that originally came in the car. And, in case you wondered, the original engine was not in the car when he bought it. He tried to find a decent one to put in but couldn't find anything that satisfied him, thus the 572 transplant.

/ cool truck
A friend of mine did similar to a later '71 or 72 SS Camaro. It was not numbers matching; he put a 502 factory crate injected motor in it. It was pretty cool, even for a Mopar guy like me.

Only problem, he left the body stock; unless you tub them, you can not get a big enough tire inside the fenderwell, to get any traction :eek:

I have a feeling that it will have a bit more power than 302/290hp engine that originally came in the car. And, in case you wondered, the original engine was not in the car when he bought it. He tried to find a decent one to put in but couldn't find anything that satisfied him, thus the 572 transplant.