Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high)

/ Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high) #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Been planning this for awhile but started on it yesterday, and stripped off all the electrics. Got some good stuff for the toybox. I got it pretty far along today but have not yet figured out the top link attachment yet

I'm wanted to get it so I could at least "move it around" but am done playing with it for a little while get it the heck out of the way and plan the next step.

Haven't hooked up the hydraulics. It's gravity-down, not sure how I'm gonna accommodate that (other than wait for J_J to come across this thread :D )

Also I think I'm going to make/find some lighter-weight forks for it, these must weigh 125 lbs each.

421565d1429477850-convert-walkie-forklift-3-point-20mt_1_onb2710-jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20MT_1_onB2710.JPG
    20MT_1_onB2710.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 5,730
  • 20MT_2_3-pt_attch.jpg
    20MT_2_3-pt_attch.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,742
  • 20MT_3_offtractor.jpg
    20MT_3_offtractor.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 2,404
Last edited:
   / Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high) #2  
Looks cool , I would be afraid of things falling on your head when fully extended

/ Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high) #3  
We have a 3ph forklift made from a walk behind model as well. For the hydraulics they are pretty simple. You only have to hook up one hose.

/ Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high)
Thanks - I guess that makes sense it just spools to return. Do you have a pic (or thread) of your lift? Did you do the fabrication?

/ Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high) #5  
Thanks - I guess that makes sense it just spools to return. Do you have a pic (or thread) of your lift? Did you do the fabrication?

We didn't do the fab ourselves, but it was done for us. I might be able to get a pic next weekend.

The lift we have doesn't have the outside wheels on it. They would probably get in the way when picking up stuff wider than a pallet. The downside of not having the outisde pieces is that it's more likely to fall over to the side when not attached to the tractor which has happened. If you had a rack to park it in that would be the best.

A word to the wise: You'll want your ROPS up when using the forklift because you might accidentally give yourself a headache if you aren't paying attention when lifting the 3ph. Fortunately the first tractor we used this on had a metal sunshade and frame. The tractor its on now has a fixed ROPS and also blocks the lift from hitting the operator in the head.

/ Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high) #6  
You plan on pinning the top link or using with that light gauge chain? I have never been one to flash the safety police badge, but I will say I wouldn't use it as presently installed.

That mast looks very stout! Any idea what it weighs?

/ Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high) #7  
What's the weight of the forklift versus your 3pt lift capacity?

I suspect it weighs 900 lbs, and the 3-pt capacity is 1665. The amount of weight it can "carry around" is minimal on this little tractor. My FEL can lift 900 lbs in the bucket but on forks it can't lift 475 lbs to full height. I envision using the tractor to position the lift, then scoot it in and out (on its own wheels) to put stuff up on my loft. And to put snowmobiles on a shelf for example.

Almost the main reason I built it is because the walkie needed a $400 part, and $600 of new batteries, for a total value of about $1200-1500. Barely worth the effort, and and risky as it might need another $500 part next. The scrappers were staring me down for it, they wanted to "get rid of it for me" as a favor (probably just for the steel). I saw several of these in scrapyards, I bet you could get one for $200.

Yep Dep have to figure out how to attach the top link, it won't lift very high with that chain wrapped around the mast. :laughing:

Last edited:
The lift we have doesn't have the outside wheels on it. They would probably get in the way when picking up stuff wider than a pallet. The downside of not having the outisde pieces is that it's more likely to fall over to the side when not attached to the tractor which has happened. If you had a rack to park it in that would be the best.

I would probably cut the legs off mine if my tractor was larger, but for now I want to let it sit on it's own feet while lifting. Basically just use the tractor to move it around unladen. But I'll learn it's capacity, there are plenty things less than 500 lbs that I need to lift. Rather than a rack you could add some 'foldable" legs onto your mast so it could set on its own anywhere.

A word to the wise: You'll want your ROPS up when using the forklift because you might accidentally give yourself a headache if you aren't paying attention when lifting the 3ph. Fortunately the first tractor we used this on had a metal sunshade and frame. The tractor its on now has a fixed ROPS and also blocks the lift from hitting the operator in the head.

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you have no top link? (or chain top link?)

/ Convert "Walkie forklift" to 3-point attachment (Lifts 11 feet high) #10  
I would probably cut the legs off mine if my tractor was larger, but for now I want to let it sit on it's own feet while lifting. Basically just use the tractor to move it around unladen. But I'll learn it's capacity, there are plenty things less than 500 lbs that I need to lift. Rather than a rack you could add some 'foldable" legs onto your mast so it could set on its own anywhere.

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you have no top link? (or chain top link?)

When the 3pt is raised the implement moves in an arc. We use a standard top link. It essentially makes the tractor an offroad forklift without the ability to tilt the forks separate from adjusting the 3ph.

A chain top link sounds like a bad idea since there isn't anything keeping the implement from falling towards the operator if the lift is raised past its balance point.

When I get some pictures snapped it will make more sense.