Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?)

/ Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?) #1  

Ehanson

Silver Member
Tractor
S373-D
Has anyone converted a mower deck to cut brush? I was talking to a friend who has trails at his Yukon Fishing/Guiding Camp, and
we were wondering if you could take an old KRM48 and attach flail cutters to the arbors? That way it would stand half a chance of
living while cleaning up the existing trails.
Does anyone have a picture of a flail type cutter? I have an idea how I would make them, thinking the cutting flails should be about 3/8" material.
Thoughts?

/ Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?) #2  
A KRM48 is a Kubota rotary mower, google says. I use a flail mower on occasion and it is a totally different device than a rotary cutter. Plus a rotary cutter does well as a brush cutter, in my experience. Flail blades are much smaller than rotary mower blades, far more numerous and not compatible in any manner with a rotary mower. I have also modified flail hammer blades not designed for my flail to work on it- but they were flail blades for a flail mower.

So I guess I do not understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

DSC00318.JPGDSC00383.JPG

/ Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?) #3  
Yeah, me neither, yet. More explanation maybe?

/ Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?) #4  
Has anyone converted a mower deck to cut brush? I was talking to a friend who has trails at his Yukon Fishing/Guiding Camp, and
we were wondering if you could take an old KRM48 and attach flail cutters to the arbors? That way it would stand half a chance of
living while cleaning up the existing trails.
Does anyone have a picture of a flail type cutter? I have an idea how I would make them, thinking the cutting flails should be about 3/8" material.
Thoughts?

That mower is a rotary mower. The blades spin parallel to the ground.

167637d1275789210-bought-kingkutter-6ft-finish-mower-underside-jpg

A flail mower has many small hammers that spin perpendicular to the ground.

491827d1481934860-convert-mower-blades-brush-cutters-fl-150-underside-jpg

They are two different animals.

Attachments

• FL-150-Underside.jpg
    FL-150-Underside.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 9,721
   / Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?) #5  
I read it as swinging blades, as found on a rotary brush cutter.

OP it is possible but I don't think you would be happy with the results, the spindles just aren't up to the task of heavy use and the shock loads associated with brush cutting, the shorter blades would also lack a lot of weight/momentum and most likely have a hard time cutting anything heavier the very light material.

/ Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?)
I read it as swinging blades, as found on a rotary brush cutter.

OP it is possible but I don't think you would be happy with the results, the spindles just aren't up to the task of heavy use and the shock loads associated with brush cutting, the shorter blades would also lack a lot of weight/momentum and most likely have a hard time cutting anything heavier the very light material.
Redirect Notice
Yes TMGT, Swinging blades. I suspect you are very correct, the spindles may not stand up to the torture?

/ Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?) #7  
The added weight and impacts associated with swinging blades and mowing brush puts a lot of strain on the blade mount, most factory rotary brush cutters run straight off the heavy gearbox with large bearings for this reason, they also use large single blade sets on that size, the weight and length of the blades helps take some of the impact and help power through heavier material.

I would look for a good used cutter, would most likely be safer, more reliable and effective then modifying what you have, unless your just cutting heavier weeds.

If you still want to do somthing with swinging blades do a search for mega-mo, should give you some ideas, but still wouldn't really be a brush mower.

/ Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?) #8  
depending on brand some flails such as a Mott or alamo you can put heavier or thicker blades check with Flailmaster.com to see if this is an option good luck

/ Convert from mower blades to brush cutters, (flail type?) #10  
So we're taking "flail" out of the equation and just talking about converting a finish mower with fixed blades into a brush mower with swinging blades?