Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #11  
So is debt to income ratio and that is what I am getting at. It’s one thing too make $100k a year and have $100k do equipment debt to pay off. It is entirely another to make $100k a year and have $2 million in debt to pay off. I guess if the land the farmer owns is worth more than that debt they can sell at anytime….thats piece of mind If things dont go well.
Obviously your numbers don't work. Farms that gross $100K aren't buying much, if any new equipment without substantial off farm income supplements. I operated a small operation with a partner in the early 1990's and he and I grossed far more than that from low value crops and custom farming for others.

Last edited:
   / Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #12  
Obviously your numbers don't work. Farms that gross $100K aren't buying much, if any new equipment. I operated a small operation with a partner in the early 1990's and he and I grossed more than double that from low value crops and custom farming for others.
Hey I have no idea how much crop farmers are making….hence the entire premise of the question. Just seems as this “technology” drives up the cost of equipment considerably….there has to be enough incentive to keep it going.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #13  
The incentive is a favorable cash flow analysis on the equipment purchase followed by the skill and luck to follow through.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #14  
Debt is a tool used by the vast majority of successful businesses. Why would anyone think being debt free would be a requirement for owning equipment of any kind?
Hoping you could explain a bit in more detail. I understand that a publicly-traded company keeps debt to offset cash on hand to keep others from buying out the shares and then taking the money and killing off the company. How does debt help a private company or small farm?

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #15  
JD is becoming the poster child for right to repair advocates. While it isn't fair to pick on them alone, it doesn't make them the good guys by pointing out that others to it too.
If articles I have read are correct, there are boat owners half way around the world with a JD engine who cannot get a part of have it repaired on site and must have it towed to god knows where to have it repaired. If that is true for tractors, boats or whatever, then it is wrong to leave your customer stranded or banned from information to put them back to work. It should not matter what the brand is, we should all be in agreement on this regardless of the color.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #16  
Hoping you could explain a bit in more detail. I understand that a publicly-traded company keeps debt to offset cash on hand to keep others from buying out the shares and then taking the money and killing off the company. How does debt help a private company or small farm?
Because (especially as a business) having debt and cash is better than having no debt. Let's say I need to make an equipment purchase and I could either spend cash or get a 2% loan (simplifying). However, using that cash in other places (marketing, supply purchases, investments) would make 5-6% then I am making more money than I would save by not having the loan.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #17  
So is debt to income ratio and that is what I am getting at. It’s one thing too make $100k a year and have $100k do equipment debt to pay off. It is entirely another to make $100k a year and have $2 million in debt to pay off. I guess if the land the farmer owns is worth more than that debt they can sell at anytime….thats piece of mind If things dont go well.
If your net worth is several million dollars and you're making payments on a $50k truck, for example, you're technically in debt, because you owe somebody something.

If your assets are making 8% interest and your truck is financed at 2%, you're using your assets to make 6%.

Stuff like that, but on a grander scale.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #18  
If your net worth is several million dollars and you're making payments on a $50k truck, for example, you're technically in debt, because you owe somebody something.

If your assets are making 8% interest and your truck is financed at 2%, you're using your assets to make 6%.

Stuff like that, but on a grander scale.
Yes I understand the finances. I am asking where lots of large scale farmers sit.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #19  
Have you ever financed a car, truck, home or vacation property? If so you used someone else's money to buy an item that you wanted or needed but either did not have the cash to purchase or did not want to allocate resources you did have to make the purchase. Same deal here except we are discussing business assets that enhance productivity in some form or fashion.