Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments

/ Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments #1  

ChrisWood

This is my first post on this forum.

I have been looking at sub-compact tractors for 2.5 tiered and sloped acres in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

I read that a few people complained about the cramped leg room on the cc 2455, so I went to check that out. Excellent... my 4' 11" wife fits it like a glove. I'm not tall either, so it works well for me, also.

My wife is a gardening nut (she hand mows our [very small, manicured] lawn up to 3 times per week) and she will undoubtedly be the primary user of the tractor.

I have some questions that I hope you can answer...

1) I am interested in a box scraper or grading blade (rear preferred) to cut simple LEVEL pathways on the property (the soil is soft, not clay). I don't see one made specifically for the 2544. Does somebody make one that will fit the sleeve hitch of the 2544?

2) Also, some sort of attachment that would allow bricks/stones/etc to be piled in/on it (to be hauled to another area) would be nice. In this case, NOT a cart… but something like a loader bucket. But… if it was a bucket, it would need to be able to be removed and reattached in just a few minutes.

3) There are very few Cub Cadet dealers in the region. The nearest is about 30 miles away. Do you see this as a problem?

4) Does anyone know for sure that the sleeve hitch available for the cc is compatible with the sleeve hitch available for the craftsman gt5000? (i.e. can "towed" craftsman accessories be used on the cc?)

5) Frequently I get a few yards of top soil delivered. There is usually 50 to 200 feet between where the soil gets dumped and where it is needed. Would a JBjr really be capable of eliminating the need to do the usual wheel barrowing that I do now?

If the Craftsman GT5000 (or 6000) was not such a stretch for my wife to reach the peddles, I would probably go that way. But it also has the motion control on the fender... so maybe not.

Thanks in advance.

/ Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments #2  
I have two dealers near me, one is 3 miles the other 40 miles. I go to the 40 mile dealer because of the comfort level I have with him. The other I wouldnt let them touch the air in my tires....

As for Box blade and the sleeve hitch capabilities, it might be beyond the design capabilities with the electric hitch.
I have seen a 3235 series machine with a 48" box blade from a compact machine. it works very well, but you must have the differential lock feature in the new 3200 or the older 3235 series. The hitch is hydrolic as well and can handle the heavy Box blade...

/ Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments #3  
Chris;
Here's what I have;
1) I have the the Box scraper and sleeve hitch and it will pull it just fine its a 42" model and works well. Cub cadet sleeve hitch and Sears 42" Garden Tractor Box Scraper.
2) The sleeve hitch will lift 400 lbs or more.
3) Wish I had a JB jr I'd have a way to move soil
4) dump cart is next purchase
I like the GT2544 and it's attachment capability.
Todd

/ Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments #4  
Sears has a front end loader attachment available for their garden tractors. I just saw it at Sears last week all hooked up on a GT5000 I believe. It looked like it would be good for scooping up mulch, gravel and loose topsoil. The bucket is not huge but it would be better than a wheelbarrow. I don't know the specs on it but that info may be available on the Sears website.

/ Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Chris;
I have the the Box scraper and sleeve hitch and it will pull it just fine its a 42" model and works well. Cub cadet sleeve hitch and Sears 42" Garden Tractor Box Scraper.
Todd )</font>

I would like to confirm what you said. It sure sounds like you are saying that attachments designed for the craftsman sleeve hitch can be hooked to (are compatible with) the cub cadet's sleeve hitch.

That is a well kept secret... I spent hours searching this forum for "attachment compatibility" info.

Given that, I should pounce on the 2544 while it's still $2,999.

The soil here is loam like... not clay and not compacted... so I'm not asking for any serious ground breaking capability.

Thanks

/ Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments #7  
I was think more along these lines when I mentioned a Box scraper and the 3235 series ...(.its not mine, its another Cub owner cant take the credit)...you will need the differential lock feature on the 3235 series (or 3200)

Cub3000 with Box Scraper

Attachments

• 655663-TractorAndScraper.jpg
    655663-TractorAndScraper.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 322
   / Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments #8  
I do not know if these would fit the Cub Cadets, but you could always try contacting the seller. Not even really sure what their differences are. But at $350.00 plus $25.00 for shipping it may be worth a look.

3pt electric sleeve hitch

Electric sleeve hitch

And no, I have nothing to do with these.
Mike

/ Considering GT2544 - but few dealers, attachments #9  
Yup;
Thats the one $182.00 and it attaches to a normal sleeve hitch .
These are not to be confused with a three point
The electric Cub sleeve hitch will lift the box blade with 2, 3 ft long railroad logs on it. I figure the combo at 400 lbs.
And the tractor pulls it well and the combo moves loose topsoil well.
Todd

Thanks for the info... I just ordered the sleeve hitch from ebay.

Today I bought the GT2544 (to be delivered tomorrow).

I paid $2,999, plus $60 to deliver [40 miles] to my house tomorrow.

I saw this unit Tuesday when I went to a dealer (via address provided by CubCadet.Com). He said it was $2,999. In the mean time, the "official" price went to $3,299.

I called them today, to buy it, using the phone number that CubCadet.Com showed (right below the address I went to the day before). They said it was $3,199. I said what happened to the $2,999 price. They said they always charge $200 extra for shipping to the west coast. NOW I'M THINKING IT'S GOING TO BE $3,499 WHEN THE NEW OFFICIAL PRICE KICKS IN.

They said they didn't have one in stock. I said I just looked at it. They said that I must have been at the San Martin store. Yep, I was. The CubCadet.Com address was San Martin... BUT the CubCadet.Com phone number was for a store in a different city!

I did a google search on the address to find the phone number that matched the address. I called them and nailed it down for $2,999.

I almost ordered the $900 electric sleeve hitch, but decided to wait. I'm glad I waited (2 hours).

Thanks to all for your help!!!

ChrisWood