Considering a high hours 4720... Thoughts?

/ Considering a high hours 4720... Thoughts? #1  

SnowX

Tractor
John Deere 2320
I'm considering a 2012 4720 with 3500 hrs. I know it's hard to tell the condition without knowing how the previous owner maintained the machine, but anything I should know about an older 4 series with this amount of hours? How do the turbos hold up?

I've had a 2320 for the last 5 years and only put on 200 hours since purchasing it used (currently at 2800hrs) so my use is fairly light.

Last edited:
   / Considering a high hours 4720... Thoughts? #2  
I have a 4520 cab tractor with 3800 hours - runs awsome -no leaks or issues have seen these with 7000 plus hours

/ Considering a high hours 4720... Thoughts? #3  
My only complaint is the antifreeze/oil leak coming from the timing cover housing at just around 1000 hours. I'll live with it until something needs replacing on the front of the engine.

/ Considering a high hours 4720... Thoughts? #4  
Pre 4 or post 4? Hours mean little. Emissions component failure means more. That and maintenance. Think I'd have a competent tech look it over first.

/ Considering a high hours 4720... Thoughts?
Pre 4 or post 4? Hours mean little. Emissions component failure means more. That and maintenance. Think I'd have a competent tech look it over first.
I believe all 4720s are pre-emissions, I think that's why they changed the model numbers when they went to tier 4 compliance to 40XX to differentiate between the two.

Regardless, this one is pre-emissions. I'm buying it from a Deere dealer, so I'm assuming they've been through it.

/ Considering a high hours 4720... Thoughts? #6  
I believe all 4720s are pre-emissions, I think that's why they changed the model numbers when they went to tier 4 compliance to 40XX to differentiate between the two.

Regardless, this one is pre-emissions. I'm buying it from a Deere dealer, so I'm assuming they've been through it.
Don't count on it from a Deere dealer. Anything other than green is strictly off limits to them. Bought my last M from a Deere dealer as well and candidly, he didn't have a clue what he had so I whittled him down on price. I knew exactly what he had. Gave him 18 for it and had them deliver it to my Kubota dealer who promptly offered me 30 for it. I still have it btw. Had my dealer go 100% through it. Cost me 5 grand in labor and parts. Worth every penny. Great tractor. They even put it on the dyno and it made 92 pto horsepower at 2200 rpm.

I went and looked at it on a Sunday when they were closed and I took my key with me (all M9's use the same key). Started it and drove it around the lot and went over it very carefully. I knew exactly what I needed and what it was worth to me and I got it for under what I was willing to pay. Not like I don't know my M9's in as much as I've had one (bought new in 2004). Only thing this one don't have is the 12 x 12 or the 2 speed PTO, which my other one has. This one is an 8 x 8, single speed pto, not that I use the 1000 rpm 21 spline pto much, other than running a grain leg.

Good luck with yours but I'd not have high hopes on any Deere dealer checking out an orange tractor at all.

Last edited:
   / Considering a high hours 4720... Thoughts? #7  
I'm confused. The 4720 is a John Deere 4720, isn't it? There is a tendency for folks to OMIT the brand and just throw out a model number here. But in this case, I thought that 4720 was referring to a JD4720. The Deere dealer should be the expert on it.