Connecting That PTO Equipment

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #1  

djradz

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I am continuing to have a great deal of trouble connecting my Woods RM-306 mower drive shaft to the PTO of my new TC 40D. The splines are always just a few degrees off. Neither part has much movement. The tractor PTO is virtually impossible to turn by hand and turning the mower drive shaft is not much easier. I rebuilt the mower back in the spring so it is pretty tight, but by turning the flywheel, I can get it to turn. Trouble is, often, when I let go of the flywheel, the shaft returns to it's misaligned position. (I need a nother set of hands I guess). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is everyone's NH PTO nearly impossible to turn by hand? I'm thinking of looking into adding an overrunning clutch just so I have something I can turn. Can you turn such a device, at least one way, by hand? When I had my 1720, all I had to do was turn the PTO just a little to get it aligned. Apparently the PTO drive setup was different in that. Help!

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #2  
It sounds to me like the PTO brake on the newer tractor is the culprit. You could look into disabling it, but that raises a safety issue. There is such a thing as a "Sprag clutch" that allows movement in one direction only - I guess that's a possibility. Surely there are some other ideas out there.

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #3  
That would be a pain. The pto on my Kubota spins easily. You dont have your pto lever engaged, do you.

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #4  
My TC33D also spins freely in both directions and is very easy to align with the coupler. I am not sure if the 33 models have a PTO brake - because it takes forever sometimes for the shaft to stop spinning - I wish it did have a brake for these situations!

Eric

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #5  
The pto on my TC18 spins freely. My complaint is that my new Woods rotary mower shaft has the collar like release on it and it is much more of a pain to attach than my Woods finish mower with the pin release.

JimBinMI

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #6  
An overrunning clutch is very easy to turn with one hand. I have one on my old Ferguson, and I always turn it so its aligned with the driveshaft of my finish mower whenever I hook it up. It makes connecting the mower real easy!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I think that would be a real simple solution to the trouble you're having!!!

Rich

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #7  
Jim,

I have a Woods rotary and also find the collar to be difficult. You have to try to pull the collar back while at the same time pushing the shaft forward. Especially with my Freedom Hitch in the way, there is very little room and leverage to accomplish this push-me/pull-you feat.

I'm not familiar with pin release or how that works. I wonder if it can be substituted onto the rotary cutter.

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #8  
Duane, overrun is built-in to your PTO. If you can't turn the PTO, something is wrong. Is the tractor running? PTO engaged? There is no "lock" on the PTO that I know of. Maybe it is just stiff because it is new. Grab it with some pliers and see if you can turn it with a little more grip. Maybe after using it a little while it will loosen up. At any rate, the overrun clutch would be redundant and not needed if everything is working right.

JimI

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #9  
Djradz
My 45Dis the same way. I accepted it as a safety feature since the service manual does talk about a brake. Nothing really goes into great detail as far as its actual function though. There is a note that mentions you won't be able to turn it by hand with the engine off & the lever in the disengaged position. I think the only reason they don't mention it also won't turn when disengaged with the engine running is because your not supposed to try to hook it up while running. I usually just jog it on & off a few times untill everything properly aligned. It does seem to be a pain though I will grant that; however, it is a nice safety feature to be able to get PTO driven implements to stop faster when disengaged. (they just kept going & going with my last tractor) This is the first tractor I have used that was this way. All the others were able to turn freely by hand. I guess its better to be safe than sorry /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Troy

/ Connecting That PTO Equipment #10  
Glennmac,

I believe that the pin release is the older style. There is a spring loaded pin that runs perpendicular to the end of the driveshaft, you just push in the pin, push the driveshaft over the spline and as you slide it on the pin will click into position.

You may have to purchase a new driveshaft with this style release. Don't know.

Good luck, JimBinMI