confused

/ confused #1  

hdb

Tractor
International 240
I have twelve acres , 10 of it pasture. Would like input on what hp I need. Would like to stay with a 5' or 6' bushhog. Will need a box blade, and frontend loader for lite dirt work. Dealers in my area are telling me I need at least 40 hp. Currently looking at a Kubota 4310 and a Mahnidra 4505 DI (also looked at Long and New Holland). Also looking at about $3,800.00 diff. in price. Is the Kubota that much better or would I just be paying more for the orange paint job? The more I look the mudder the water gets, HELP!! HELP !!

/ confused #2  
At LEAST 40???!!!!! Whoa, I have 20 acres and I have a 35 Hp tractor. I have an L35 which can handle a 5-6' bush hog and it works wonderfully around the farm. The hydraullics on this machine are immense with a pump that is 17 gpm..Hp isnt everything!! I dont know much about New Holland pricing but I cant tell you that you can get a used L35 in the upper 20's to middle 20's. I think a tractor in the 25-40 Hp range would be plenty big enough for your operations.

Good LUck and happy hunting

/ confused #3  
hdb, The bigger the tractor and implements, the faster you'll get the job done, but smaller tractors can certainly do the work; just takes a little longer. My Kubota B2710 (27 engine hp and 20 PTO hp) handles my 5' brush hog, finish mower, and box blade just fine. I have 10 acres of my own to maintain, and I do a little tractor work for other people. As far as the price difference you mention, I'd pay that much difference in a minute for a Kubota (or John Deere or New Holland) over a Mahindra. I haven't looked at a Mahindra in a couple of years, but I don't remember them having a hydrostatic transmission available (though I don't know for sure). I believe the HST transmission and power steering will save you more time and let you work safer than more horsepower. Good luck with your shopping.

Bird

/ confused #4  
hdb,

Just for entertainment and to see what others have, you might do a search for "hp/acre". I have 8 acres and only 18.5 hp, but I bought it mainly to mow and move snow and it works for me. If you want a 5'-6' rotary, then you will probably need 25 hp or more. I plan to purchase a rotary mower yet this summer and mine can only handle a 4', but I only plan to cut my field of about 4-5 acres down a few times a year...obviously it will take me longer than with a larger tractor with a larger rotary. I do pull a 3 pt. 5' rear finish mower by Woods which does a great job on my lawn of 2-3 acres. I also considered weight since I was mowing, mine is 1438 lbs. but some that post here are happy mowing with 2500 lb. tractors. You will also need to decide what kind of tires to get, I have turf tires that work great on the lawn and moving snow, 4x4 and hydro trans. help too!

The three major brands, New Holland, Kubota and John Deere are all pretty good, personally I found the New Holland TC18 that I bought to be more tractor for the money but that seems to vary by area. I think you should look at ALL brands that are in your area and give a great deal of consideration to the dealer, pricing, availability, etc.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ confused #5  
There's a L35 w/80 hours on ebay right now. I don't know the guy and have never even spoken to him. Don't know what his "reserve" price is, TLB is in Washington state. It's up to $20K and hasn't reached his "reserve" price yet, auction ends in a day. You can go to www.ebay.com and search under Kubota L35. I'd say more but I can see through my TEARS! Where was this guy 60 months ago?

del

/ confused #6  
hdb,

I would check out Carver Equiptments jack rabbit pages on their web site. I found it to be quite helpful for comparing price/hp ratios, plus there are prices for several diffrent implements. As far as size I would think any L series would do the job, and every person I have talked to told me to pass on Mahindra.

/ confused #7  
Get this- I bought my L35 for 17,500 with 250 hrs on it. Looked brand new!!

/ confused #8  
kubota-monkey

If you find another for that price I will take two!!!

/ confused #9  
kubota-monkey

What caliber of pistol where you holding????/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Or was it incriminating photos??/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ confused #10  
HAHAHAHA I know huh WHAT A DEAL... I bought it from a heavy equip dealer... I dont think he knew the tractors worth