concrete for grinding / polishing

/ concrete for grinding / polishing #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I poured the floor in the new garage this weekend, and overall it ain't bad. But a number of things didn't go as planned.

The rain showed up about 2 hours early. Concrete was placed and set just ready to be troweled, and it rained. If rain held off as forecast it would have been done and covered.

Second thing I think was a combination of rookie driver and bad batch. I ordered 5 slump and this stuff was dry gravel with a little sand stuck to it. Well he watered it too much and we has soup. And the guy just wanted to sit in the truck where he could see us giving directions when to unlock chute, wheel to lock, when to stop, etc.

But all that aside, what's done is done. I am actually kinda happy with the finish. Look and feels like a floor that has been painted with that sandy paint. But not sure I will like that for a garage. On one hand, I want smooth for cleanup, but don't want to bust my Azz when wet. There are also a few high spots, bit not bad.

So...I am considering renting a grinder. They did some grinding/polishing in the break room at work and I really like it, but know nothing about it. Anyone care to shed some light? Best method or machine? Single head or double? Is there one wheel I can use for removing high spots that will also leave a good finish? Or am I gonna have to use half a dozen different grits getting finer each pass?

/ concrete for grinding / polishing #2  
Congrats on the new garage.

How about an epoxy coat? Will stick very well to fresh rough concrete.

I would be concerned about the very wet mix of the concrete. Will large machinery be sitting on it?
Might not be bad insurance to notify the concrete company about the wet mix.

/ concrete for grinding / polishing #3  
It sounds like you were shorted on the cement content.

You can rent a single head floor sander and use sanding screens to straighten things up and then abrasive pads to add a little polish. If memory serves me, the white pad is the finest. We used to use a floor sander for acid stain prep. I'd let the concrete set up for at least three weeks before sanding. Be sure to use a good penetrating sealer. Forget the big box sealers. Make a visit to a decorative concrete store and get some good roll-on sealer.

/ concrete for grinding / polishing
I don't want to spend a ton on sealer or epoxy. Its just a garage floor. I am not fond of epoxy as my experience, it don't like heat. Like the abuses from torching and welding. Then it peels. And the result sucks. I like just natural concrete. Oil stained concrete looks good too. Again, working garage, not a museum. Just needs to be functional.

I do like the looks of the exposed aggregate after bringing. With that, and the few high spots I'd like to knock down, just wondering how well a grinder would do. Or if I am gonna make more of a mess trying to shave a few high spots and and up with lots of ridges?

And it seems there are a ton of options for heads. Different grit, diamond, etc. Would be nice if I only need 1 that will do a nice job of removal, yet still leave a food finish.

Not sure what the concrete company can do. Gonna be a "he said she said" thing and I am sure the driver will say I told him to keep adding.

And even if I have issues down the road with heavy equip, there is no way to prove that was the issue. But I don't for see any issues. 4" a 4000psi +wire, 4" stone, and solid clay under that. Heaviest I have is my BH @18k but big tires. Next to that is a drw pickup

/ concrete for grinding / polishing #5  
LD1 good to see it coming along, I would keep it wet for next week or two even so it hydrates in this heat/cold well. I closed up my barn and flooded it for weeks and it is very hard! I used box store stain and it would not even penetrate even after using double strength acid etching & mops on it. the Rustolium Stain was - is GARBAGE get something better for sure. If you have not yet sealed it might as well wait as it is already late. Sealing it now is not going to help, using sealer after if hydrates & drys & prior to moving everything in.

M

IMG_20150517_184648744.jpgIMG_20150517_184641299.jpgIMG_20150517_184615308.jpg

Here are pics of 30-40 year old concrete that has been living under vinyl tile tile just last month. All I know is they went to 800 grit and then sealed. Have no idea beyond that. I really like the look, though I don't want it quite that slick.

/ concrete for grinding / polishing #7  
With a wet load and rain during the set, you could be in for constant dusting of the floor if you do not seal it

When I say a wet load I may be exaggerating. It was wetter than I would have liked. But have poured and seen poured even wetter. This was maybe a 6-7 slump. And the concrete was pretty well set when the rain hit. Then it was off and on. I am no expert, but I dont think I hurt the floor any, just the finish. Which is why I am inquiring about grinding. I did some calling this morning. But am only left with more questions.

How long before I can grind? If more than 5 days, I may wait and proceed with building first.

Not sure what grinder I need, and what wheel. What grit? Flapper or diamond? Dual or single head? This is 40x40. I want something that wont take forever to remove the few high spots, but also leave a good finish. But will get different grits if need be. And would like to get this done in a day. And with never doing this, I dont want something that is gonna leave ridges where I remove high spots and try to taper back out to the rest of the floor. So what would be easier to NOT leave ridges, a single head or double?

/ concrete for grinding / polishing #9  
LD you are obviously a handy person , enjoy your post's . As John said you got a bad batch , cement wise . As they say the cream comes to the top . Not so in your case . I would let normal traffic , wear / tear polish it up . You start grinding you may rip the top clean off of that floor . Just a thought from a dummy .

/ concrete for grinding / polishing #10  
Go to your local rental yard and see what they have. I've rented the ones with 3 stones that you put in with wood wedges. You have to buy the stones and they come in different grits like sandpaper. One type for removing a bunch of material, another for smoothing and another for making it shiny smooth. You just stand there and hole the machine while it spins and grinds down the concrete. It's real simple to use, but you do have to make sure you keep moving along so you don't wear down one spot more then another. With a fairly fresh pour, the concrete is still pretty soft and the sooner you get on it, the easier it's going to be.

Eddie