Compressor Question

/ Compressor Question #1  

bill18163

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710,BX1860,LA3940
I am going to install a new compressor in my pole barn. The one I have now is air cooled and 30 gal. The new one is not air cooled. It has an oil bath gear case. On the old one I have a ball cock in a drain line to drain the accumulated water out of the bottom of the tank. I want to do the same to the new one when I set it up. I have the drain piping with the ball cock pointed down at my concrete floor with a street ell. Over time the draining has not made much of a mess except for some rust stains on the floor. Since I want to put the same type of drain on the new compressor I have some concern about the mess it might make on the floor over time. I suspect some oil will come out of the bottom of the tank along with any accumulation of water. I don't know how much to expect though. So has anyone had this experience? What should I expect? If it will make a mess, does anyone have any ideas on how to contain the air drain outflow so I won't have a lot of oil on the floor?

/ Compressor Question #2  
I mounted mine on a rubber horse mat. I drilled into the mat then into the concrete floor. keeps the vibrations down too.

/ Compressor Question #3  
I am going to install a new compressor in my pole barn. The one I have now is air cooled and 30 gal. The new one is not air cooled. It has an oil bath gear case. On the old one I have a ball cock in a drain line to drain the accumulated water out of the bottom of the tank. I want to do the same to the new one when I set it up. I have the drain piping with the ball cock pointed down at my concrete floor with a street ell. Over time the draining has not made much of a mess except for some rust stains on the floor. Since I want to put the same type of drain on the new compressor I have some concern about the mess it might make on the floor over time. I suspect some oil will come out of the bottom of the tank along with any accumulation of water. I don't know how much to expect though. So has anyone had this experience? What should I expect? If it will make a mess, does anyone have any ideas on how to contain the air drain outflow so I won't have a lot of oil on the floor?
Could also just slip a pan underneath or add a hose to the pipe and run it outside. I do like mounting to something like a horse mat. Very dense and tough and can usually find them used pretty cheaply.

/ Compressor Question #4  
I have 3 vessels. A valve on each and plumbed to a common line thru the wall If I am running the snot out of it kick them a crack when I real a compressor thread somewhere.
comp drain.JPG
air comps rev.JPG
air comps rev.JPG

/ Compressor Question #5  
The factory water drains are designed for use in cold weather. There is no sump for water to accumulate to bust. In the end shell or tank bottom water can simply sit till it warms up enough to drain. Most modifications are designed for a heated garage. The green one under the cardboard is a 3 hp and the master and the big blue a 5 and breaker off with tank part of the system. I gotta really work or sandblast to outrun the 3 with that much storage.
They sit on wood skids designed so can be moved with pallet jack. The blue is a demand and a backup. All valve isolated. Air on 24/7 to hi pressure main with service valves and point of use regulation on most of it. No hose moving in this scheme, all fixxed to the hydrants and the QC at the tool.
air reggy.JPG

Last edited:
   / Compressor Question #6  
Friend of mine has auto drain mechanism on his tank and its piped to the outside... Just something to think about...

/ Compressor Question #7  
My coming air compressor will be located on a mezzanine so a remote ball valve for draining and even a switch will be located below in the work area. I'm just going to run the drain line thru the wall. This arrangement will also provide a "tube" to hold the condensation in a pipe that will prevent any water in the tank. Cheaper to replace the pipe. LOL

/ Compressor Question #8  
I have a 5 hp Quincy with an automatic timer to blow the condensate 4 times a day for the last few years. There is no "spot" on the floor.

I also have an old compressor in the tin shed that I blow the condensate manually. I clamped an 8' long, 1/4" hi pressure hose to the tank drain and a manual shut-off valve to the other end of the hose.

I coil the hose under the tank so that the condensate will drip into the hose. I pick up the hose and blow it out the door when ever I think about it.