Compression?

/ Compression? #1  

wep0520

Tractor
1947 John Deere B
I broke down and bought a compression tester for my s370 w ke70 diesel. I. Getting 300 on front cyl and 280 on rear. Thats cold, tractor wont start below 60 deg even with heater. I've read diesels need at least 350 to start but was told 350 was good for a new moter at 6500 ft. Whats what?

/ Compression? #2  
I'd look into fixing the cold start issue. So if you heat glow plugs it won't start? Thermostart works? Do you use a water heater to heat the engine coolant?

/ Compression?
I'd look into fixing the cold start issue. So if you heat glow plugs it won't start? Thermostart works? Do you use a water heater to heat the engine coolant?
Even with heater it wont start. Glow plugs test good

/ Compression?
Im not sure. I bought it at an auction and it sat on a field for a very long time frome what i saw

/ Compression? #6  
How did you test the glow plugs? Sometimes they will short out rather than going open. Did you check the voltage at the plug when energizing it or just assume voltage was getting there because of your switch position? How many volts are actually being applied to the glow plugs? Your compression is a bit low and may make starting harder but it should still start.

/ Compression?
I use ohm meter and volt meter

/ Compression? #8  
FYI..it’s 300psi minimum for compression ignition..
Have u tried moving the throttle up to 1/2 and double cycling the glow plugs..
Does your engine have a supply/lift pump.?? It may be weak.?? And the fuel isn’t at the inj pump inlet at starting.. so it takes the extra cranking inorder to get the fuel up to the inj pump..
Seen that a gazillion times..
But honestly, moving the throttle above low idle and double/tripling the gp cycles usually takes care of the problem..
Good luck

/ Compression? #9  
A glow plug can be "Bad" and still show continuity on a meter. Try a high wattage test light (a spot light or head light). Some times there is enough continuity to light a small bulb, but will be an open circuit under load.

/ Compression? #10  
THATS WHY I say, just pull'm out..& check’m w a battery charger..
Neg- on the body & Pos + on the spade..& count..1 1thousand, 2 1thousand etc..
They should be CHERRY RED by 10 1 thousand.,
If not, keep counting and figure out how long u need to keep them on.(if ur not gonna replace them)