Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost

/ Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
I have a heavy plastic compost bin which receives organic kitchen material, weeds pulled from landscaping before seed stage and a minor amount pine shavings from animal bedding. However, the material I collect accumulates faster than the bin will finish compost it.

I am looking for a second STURDY bin or cage, approximately 4' X 4' X 4' or larger, to hold mostly processed material from lower half of plastic bin until it is finished compost. Bin does not have to be insulated.

All of what I have seen is flimsy. I want something STURDY, which will meet my wife's standard. I need a bin that will "unlatch" so I can fork finished compost into the bucket of my tractor.

Maybe something improvised from cut stock panels, held together with clips or heavy cable ties?

What is the readership using?

/ Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost #2  
I use a single sided bin. It's called "the ground", and is available almost everywhere but on a ship at sea.

After the initial couple of weeks to break down in the plastic bin, the secondary pile is not so objectionable out in the open. Sure is easy to turn with the bucket that way too! Worms love it!

/ Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost #3  
Years ago I used pallets standing on end to form an octagon with one pallet missing for an opening....guess that would be a septagon.:laughing:
I even slapped some old red cedar colored stain on it to pretty it up. Then I turned it with a pitch fork every couple weeks....as I recall.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost
Years ago I used pallets standing on end to form an octagon with one pallet missing for an opening.

I use a single sided bin. It's called "the ground", and is available almost everywhere but on a ship at sea.

No good. Bin has to be at least organized appearing, if not pretty.

/ Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost #5  
Oh, one of them fancy, shmancy bins.... for your garbage. :laughing:

I use metal T-posts that I set skids (really nice looking fancy skids from the upscale stores in the good neighborhoods) over to make a three sided bin. I use a fourth for the "door" with a T-post wedging it shut from the outside. You could get fancy and use re-bar in one end of the door to make it swing. Skids allow air circulation and if they rot, they're free, so bust em up and compost them, too, or just recycle them on bonfire Friday's.

/ Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost
I live in a La-De-Da planned community and the suggestions so far, if adopted, will have the Homeowner's Association Police and Special Forces viewing me with Extreme Prejudice.

/ Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost #7  
Here's what I built up from a heavy pallet (2x4's) and scrap redwood planks. The planks on the opening side aren't attached to anything, simply held by the overlap of the corner uprights.

Maybe paint or stain it to reach the La-De-Da standard of beauty? :D

236067d1320291604-chipper-p1640058rhfshredderinuse-jpg

/ Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost #8  
I live in a La-De-Da planned community and the suggestions so far, if adopted, will have the Homeowner's Association Police and Special Forces viewing me with Extreme Prejudice.

Oh man, the composter cops!

How about some composite skids like these?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Gallery2015-2.jpg
    Gallery2015-2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 374
   / Compost Bin, For Secondary Aging of Compost #9  
I just pile my stuff in a pile on the ground, in the shade of a tree.

Wish I had an enclosed one to put my kitchen compost with a little bit of leaves to compost it. Animals tend to dig it out of the main pile. Pouring urine over it deters them a bit.

Doesn't have to go to compost. Can use as mulch before this.

Ralph