Comparing 1635 vs JD3520 and Boomer35

/ Comparing 1635 vs JD3520 and Boomer35 #1  

kas2960

Bronze Member
Tractor
CK4010HST
I am comparing the 1635 to the John Deer 3520 and New Holland Boomer 35. The 1635 has a greater front lift (1900 lbs) vs JD @1600 and NH @1300. That's significant. Also I noticed that the Lift at the 3 pt hitch is different. Now this is where I'm not sure, what is meant by "lift capacity at 24" and Lift capacity at ball/hook ends? The 1635 at the hook ends is 2800lbs. I do not know what the 3520 is (nothing in the book) and the Boomer is 1800lbs. These seem to be fairly significant differences at least to me. Am I really comparing apples to apples?? The ground clearance for the 1635 is 14". There are no numbers for the others. I guess I will have to go back and look. All seem very comfortable sitting in and the controls all seem well laid out. The 3520 seems to be the lightest but only by 180+- lbs. Trying to help narrow done my decision :)

/ Comparing 1635 vs JD3520 and Boomer35 #2  
The 3520 is a great tractor provided you are dealing with mostly level ground. If you have 10 degree plus terrain it becomes very unstable and uncomfortable to use. 1635 is a great tractor cab not as refined as JD but not as tippy. Had a 3520 as you can see no longer have it, debated long and hard between 1648 and Kubota this time ended up with Kubota but they were very very close for my usage( lots of fel work and snow removal brush removal etc)

/ Comparing 1635 vs JD3520 and Boomer35 #3  
After looking at tractors this year, I ended up surprised at how "Spartan" or basic New Holland tractors are. The aren't exactly "refined" like JD or MF.

/ Comparing 1635 vs JD3520 and Boomer35
The 3520 is a great tractor provided you are dealing with mostly level ground. If you have 10 degree plus terrain it becomes very unstable and uncomfortable to use. 1635 is a great tractor cab not as refined as JD but not as tippy. Had a 3520 as you can see no longer have it, debated long and hard between 1648 and Kubota this time ended up with Kubota but they were very very close for my usage( lots of fel work and snow removal brush removal etc)

Thanks for the reply Buppies. What do you think is the cause for it being tippy?

After looking at tractors this year, I ended up surprised at how "Spartan" or basic New Holland tractors are. The aren't exactly "refined" like JD or MF.
Are the Boomers being manufactured in India?

/ Comparing 1635 vs JD3520 and Boomer35 #6  
Thanks for the reply Buppies. What do you think is the cause for it being tippy?

Narrow width almost turned mine over one to many times so it left and Kubota came. With increased size came much more stability. If memory serves me correctly my new one is almost a foot wider. PM me if you have anymore questions

/ Comparing 1635 vs JD3520 and Boomer35 #7  
I have a 3520 now. I like it. I also have 3.5" wheel spacers for it, so unless you are running R1/Ags, if stability is a concern for you, I'd budget another $400 for the deere than your out the door price.

That said, I haven't heard of many people tipping the 3x20 series, but they are narrow and they do seat you fairly tall. Sitting tall may be part of it, but wider is better for sloped ground. So is a lower center of gravity.

What will you be using the tractor for?

/ Comparing 1635 vs JD3520 and Boomer35 #8  
Are the Boomers being manufactured in India?
The Boomer open station compact tractor models (Boomer 20 to Boomer 50 models) are made by LS Tractor (Korean). The Boomer 3000 series cab compact tractor models (Boomer 3040 to 3050) are made by Shibaura (Japanese). Shibaura has been making the compact tractors for Ford since the early 1970s and you will find that those models are a little more refined than the LS Tractor models.

I have a 3520 now. I like it. I also have 3.5" wheel spacers for it, so unless you are running R1/Ags, if stability is a concern for you, I'd budget another $400 for the deere than your out the door price.

That said, I haven't heard of many people tipping the 3x20 series, but they are narrow and they do seat you fairly tall. Sitting tall may be part of it, but wider is better for sloped ground. So is a lower center of gravity.

What will you be using the tractor for?

Well, I plan to use it for bush hogging around the fields and pushing snow. But what does concern me is when I'm using it to skid out logs. As I do have some "uneven" terrain. Actually hills! But I don't plan to us it navigating around trees as I do have a number of trails cut. Which would benefit greatly from a blade, so another use :) I have to admit I am really taking a shine to the 1635. Seems like a very well built machine. Dealer has a bad rap in my parts though so I might have to drive 40 minutes to the next one if I do go with the Massey. Sounds like my property might not be suited to the 3520.

The Boomer open station compact tractor models (Boomer 20 to Boomer 50 models) are made by LS Tractor (Korean). The Boomer 3000 series cab compact tractor models (Boomer 3040 to 3050) are made by Shibaura (Japanese). Shibaura has been making the compact tractors for Ford since the early 1970s and you will find that those models are a little more refined than the LS Tractor models.

Wasn't the Japanese plant damaged in the tsunami? I thought I heard that they will be a few years before they would be in production.