Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #151  
I bought my L3010 with only 325 hours at the bankruptcy auction of a horseback riding academy in Tennessee. How did I find out about the auction? The answer is from this site when the bankruptcy receiver posted wanting to know what the tractor was worth. Score 1 for the internet. I flew down there, looked the tractor over, talked him into selling on the spot for cold cash and flew home. Getting the tractor to Pennsylvania was arranged through uShip.com at $1.00/loaded mile (this was 15 years ago). Score 2 for the internet.

I contacted the closest local dealer to order a folding ROPS. The fixed ROPS wouldn’t fit in my 1813 barn. I got a runaround that he couldn’t get one because a ROPS cannot be replaced, but to trade the L3010 in for a new Kubota. It sounded to me like BS and it was.

My next stop was a dealer 40 miles away. I had the replacement ROPS within two weeks so I bought a back blade, York rake and weight box from him too. I later had the tractor in to him to have problems in the glow plug circuit fixed and he commented that I had gotten a heck of a deal on the tractor. Since he treated me right, I have never bought filters, hydraulic oil and other Kubota stuff anywhere else.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
When the knowledge of a product resides with the buyer it's always about price. When it resides with the seller it's never about price.
Please clarify by what you mean here. When it resides with the seller it's never about price? What is it about then? Profits? Margins?

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #153  
The one caveat is that once you purchase a tractor or any vehicle online, the first time you need to take it in for parts/service, I wonder if one could expect great service from a dealership that you didn't purchase it from.
I bought a new car sorta sight unseen (other than a sample mfgr's picture) from an out of state dealer 300 miles away. I checked out a different trim level at a dealership and offered to buy a similar car from that "local" dealer 75 miles away but they would not come close to what I was willing to pay. So, my wife & I drove the 300 miles, spent the night and picked up the car the next day and drove home. Everything was done on the internet. I have the car serviced at the "local" dealer and they treat me well, same way as if I'd bought there. I just could not see spending an extra $3000.00 for the privilege to buy "locally".

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #154  
Please clarify by what you mean here. When it resides with the seller it's never about price? What is it about then? Profits? Margins?

If you needed a product that required ongoing technical expertise that you didn't have, my guess is you would be less sensitive to the purchase price and more sensitive to the quality / technical competence of the seller.

On the other hand if you were shopping for some generic item that required little expertise to operate and maintain then most people would opt for the lowest cost provider.

For example I work for a distributor. Most of the products we sell are 'generic'. ie fittings, pipe, furnaces, air conditioning, plumbing etc. Those products must be priced very competitively. Then there is a line of very technical product we sell that requires much hand holding and after sale support. Our margins are much higher on that line.

btw I consider almost all purchases for homeowners to be 'generic' including cars. True you may not be able to service your own car but there are (usually) many many choices where you can take it.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #155  
First off the new bailer is on my dealer's blanket liability policy so no reason for me to double insure it. I don't have physical possession and Kubota is aware of that and yes they do and when it gets here and I have physical possession it will be and my carrier will forward a copy to Kubota. Was a little stink from Kubota about it but got it ironed out. With the covid bs, normal business transactions aren't 'normal' today. besides I cannot use it until my tractor has the Kubota bailer controls installed and the NH controls removed and that is all included in the purchase price. I never use Kubota insurance because they will only insure their equipment and I have a lot of equipment not made by Kubota plus everything else....and, Kubota insurance is more expensive to boot.
Liability only provides coverage to damages caused by the implement. It doesn’t cover theft or damage to the implement, unless caused by the dealer or his employees.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #156  
Liability only provides coverage to damages caused by the implement. It doesn’t cover theft or damage to the implement, unless caused by the dealer or his employees.
Whatever and none of it is gremane to me anyway. He keeps all his new equipment insured against perils I'm sure. Only been in business 30 years, he knows what he's doing. I don't dissect insurance coverages as a rule. I just pay my premiums when due and as you are aware I'm sure. here in the rust belt state, no insurance means no driving a vehicle because you won't get your tags from the state.

Simply put, I'm not at all concerned about it.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #157  
I'm almost 70 and I start all my searches online.
Dealers that I have bought from have sorted themselves out by their willingness to respond to online requests. I do give them my phone # when I email them and several have called me back, resulting in purchases. I'm in southwest OK and I've driven to central IA to pick up a major attachment after the dealer called in response to my email. He answered my questions, I put down a deposit over the phone, and drove up a few days later to pick it up. (that's the backhoe pictured in my avatar)
I've bought a number of large attachments over the past 3 years without anything other than one phone call when the company responded to my online inquiry. I've never inquired to haggle over their prices on equipment, only to learn details and answer compatibility questions.

Why should I drive 30-100 miles to a dealer to learn that they don't even have in stock the item in which I'm interested, when I can search 20 dealers online in less time? And dealers who don't take the time to list their inventory -- a matter of less than 5 minutes per tractor -- will never get my business. And having a preformatted stock reply for an email inquiry is simple and quick. Ignoring valid inquiries is only rude, and if you don't take the first step in replying to your customers, you don't deserve their business.

I found it humorous that the one who most condemns the "online tire kickers" sells most of his equipment online.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #158  
The other side of the coin is the shopper that emails or messages the dealer with this question. Can you send me the prices of all the tractors you have to offer in the 20 to 70 hp range with prices of all the options and also prices of all the implements available for the tractors. Thanks so much your future customer. You send a message back with your phone number and request they call you so you can discuss their needs and narrow the search down to something reasonable. No response from them except for the negative review they leave because no one responded to them.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #159  
The other side of the coin is the shopper that emails or messages the dealer with this question. Can you send me the prices of all the tractors you have to offer in the 20 to 70 hp range with prices of all the options and also prices of all the implements available for the tractors. Thanks so much your future customer. You send a message back with your phone number and request they call you so you can discuss their needs and narrow the search down to something reasonable. No response from them except for the negative review they leave because no one responded to them.
If all that was on their website they wouldn't have that problem ;) If it works when selling custom configured $80,000 automobiles surely they can figure out how to do it for a tractor and a land plane.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #160  
gfd_703 said:
PuffyC said: If all that was on their website they wouldn't have that problem ;) If it works when selling custom configured $80,000 automobiles surely they can figure out how to do it for a tractor and a land plane.

PuffyC is absolutely right!

Posting your inventory online is quick and simple. And most places that don't post their prices on equipment leave me wondering about their motives.

I have spent a year periodically going to a manufacturer's website and going through the "Build Your Own" process to see what features I could get and what it would cost me... and then actually pulled the trigger on the purchase. Not sure about all of you, but most of my machinery purchases are discretionary. If it is something I have to have right now, I rent it. That's much cheaper than making a quick purchase decision which I later regret. So, I don't have to have that new tractor or UTV or truck, I want it. So, for me, a major part of the process is getting the purchase exactly right for me. I'd rather have exactly what I want with all the options I want and none of the options I don't see any point paying for. Special ordering and paying retail up front is cheaper than settling for something and doing after market add-ons after being irritated long enough about something I wanted but didn't get.