Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #32  
this is a double edged battle really...

I bought a Husqvarna 562xp fairly early in its existence. the saw probably had been around for a year two max or so at the time. I tried my closest dealer and he would sell me pretty much any saw except that model. all of his sales were rung into an old school register, and invoices were written in ink on a carbon paper style pad. he probably had a computer somewhere, because I assume that microfiche was outdated by then, but i don't know that he used it for much else - certainly not saw setup. it was a 1-1/2 person operation - the owner, likely in his 70's, and a part-time person who was still a decade or more older than me. I went to another shop and they had a 20-something kid in the shop who knew his business on the modern side, but they were still a smaller old-school style operation without the fancy showroom. i ended up buying there because they could do what i wanted..

on the flip side - how many of you in the older generation have taken a part in to a dealer, or tried to describe what you needed to the guy behind the counter, only to be met with a confused look? that's equally frustrating, but when you think about it from the small dealer's side, i'm sure it's difficult to be both modern and old school. my family was in a similar line of business, and when the late 90's came it was hard to transition to the internet generation for a smaller family business. none of my generation entered the family business, so it was hard for a group, all around 50 years old, to overcome that, but eventually they did over time, but mostly with the manufacturers helping to set them up to do it.

I agree that not returning calls is bad practice. over the last couple years it has probably been more common with less people in the workforce, and less product to sell, but that doesn't make it right. I pretty much rely on a salesman who can work with me via text now. i start work before most places are open, and i don't have time to get there before closing after my work ends either. phone tag is near impossible and i find texting to be much easier to do than voicemail. the overhead involved in calling, ringing, going through a directory, ringing again, waiting for the voicemail to come up, and then replying is way greater than a few seconds of text.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #33  
I tractor shopped for about 8 months at many different dealers within about a 100 mile radius , some dealer sales people were almost unbelievably unknowledgeable , some were excellent ! But I seem to have pretty much the same experience anytime I go shopping. I wound up buying from a dealer about 40 miles from my home and they Have always been excellent to deal with and happy to answer any questions . My dealer is Miller Tractor in Spencer Wisconsin, I think they have been selling LS tractors for about 10 years, it seems to be pretty much a family deal with father sons and wife. I have seen LS tractors dropped off there for major repairs that were hauled 150 miles to get there.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #34  
I tell my customers they can call, text or email me whatever they are comfortable with. Have some customers that call me all the time and text me just as much. Have others that will only email

I also tell most of my customers if you dont hear from me and you feel you should have please reach out to me again. I do my best to stay on top of things but stuff does fall behind.

I tell them salesman I work with when trying to buy something. I give them my phone number and email.
I don't care how you contact me just whatever works best for you.

I understand parts and everything is backorder or unavailable. We have has items on order since October of last year and now sign of them coming in. I just tell my customers or I can show them I ordered this and this is what I have for expected delivery date. Same with new customers or jobs, I ask how soon you need it done and explain my timeline depending on the size of the project. If they are comfortable with that we move forward. Be honest, communicate and don't try to bs the customers.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #35  
I prefer to make initial contact via email or text if it's an option. Always at work before dealerships open and still working when they close. At work my focus is on people doing business with me so I can't work around the schedule of salesperson. When I bought my tractor last year it started as an email inquiry. Salesman called me back to clarify a few things then emailed and text me info. Managed to arrange having my brother inspect the tractor then negotiated over text and quick call. Wife dropped off the check and they brought me a tractor. Had a great experience and never personally met the salesman. Would absolutely buy from them again. Should mention I bought a used Mahindra from a MF dealership. Salesman knew the history of the tractor and had all the documentation, manuals, etc from new on the one I purchased.

Funny thing is I never got a response from many dealers. They definitely missed a sale. One of them is a local orange dealer. They haven't been good since my last salesmen retired. Funny you could count on a guy named Tater. That was his name on business cards, not a nickname from what he said.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #36  
10 years ago, when I started looking I went to several local dealers. It was very hard to get someone to talk to me at each place. Found out about Barlows Kubota in Kentucky on TBN but thought that there was no way they could deliver a tractor to northeast Ohio cheaper than someone 8 miles away. They were $2000 cheaper plus no tax on a $20000 tractor. Everything done thru email and 1 phone call. No deposit, just gave the driver a check when he came. 10 years and almost 800 hours haven't needed the local dealer yet.

Jeff

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #37  
Most of the communication leading to the purchase and delivery of my tractor, CTL, and mini excavator was done via email or text. The CTL and mini were from dealers a little over 100 miles away, and the tractor from about five miles, which I have to drive past every time I go to town. (Well, unless I take the boat, I guess)

No standing around waiting for the salesman to finish taking care of another customer.

It’s just more efficient.

I’m even regularly ordering things from the box stores online for home delivery now. Just received three Milwaukee and one Dewalt battery tools without driving to the HD store. They arrive within two business days, if I plan things out to avoid holidays.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #38  
Nothing turns me off more than “call for price”.
I couldn't agree more. To me it means "My price is so inflated that I want a chance to "sell" it otherwise you would surf on by."

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
I worked a call center for a long distance phone company for several years in the 80s answering customer calls. After that, I installed and serviced phone systems for several years. Then I worked for Uncle Sam purchasing and managing phone systems. Then I went back to installing and servicing for another several years. Then I worked 911 Dispatch taking emergency calls.

I hate phones. I despise them with all of my being. If I never had to use one again, it would be too soon.

I do what I can by email, so everything is in writing. I prefer written replies in case of issues later.

Initial contact with my LS dealer was by email. After a few exchanges, I called him and finished it off before I drove down and signed the papers.
The phones are not the problem it's the people and policies that are behind the other end of those phones that is the problem. Welcome to publicly traded corporate America and it's F-U customer service.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
I have found a general overall willingness of companies to get back to customers. I talked to quite a few different dealers of various makes of excvators to see the prices and what they were like. Called and emailed many dealers, not looking to fund a lower price just to get a price to make a informed decision. Some salesman called me back, couple never even called me back even after I called them again. Some drug it out so long it was unreal, they would ask a question and I would answer right away then two days later I would get a response. Sometimes 2 to 3 weeks just to get a price and ideal of availability.

In the end when I saw the one at the deere dealership one afternoon and contacted my salesman within 2 hours emailed me a price. Emailed and answered all my questions quickly and efficiently, by the end of the next day i owned a new excavator.

Been going through the same thing with a new work truck for my company. I completely know I will have to order and wait for what I want and need but I want to get it ordered right away. Went in and talked to my normal salesman that have bought 3 trucks from before. That was 3 weeks ago and Emailed and called him since. He did respond to the email the other day saying still working on it. Talked to another dealership and talked with another sales man twice then haven't called or emailed since. Said I should see a email by the end of the week, that was 2 weeks ago. One salesman never even called me back after 2 calls and 1 email, had done business with him before also may be not any more.

Same thing emailed a new dealership they got back to me right away worked with me emailed back and forth and bought a new truck 3 day later from them.

Last example my wife was interested in a audi suv and was taking with a large dealership that had some coming in. My wife was on the phone with him for 45 minutes. We told him we would put a down payment on the car to hold one coming in. We wanted to come in and look at one if possible but wanted to know if he maybe has one close to look at. He said he had a customers cat that was there and was going out for delivery. He said he would take a good video of the car and send it to us. He said they also had a dealership car that was a year older that we could look at. Said he would make sure it would be here when we wanted to come. That was on a Monday, Wednesday came still nothing. My wife called Thursday and left him a voice-mail then I called Friday and left him a voice-mail, He never responded. I called on Monday and talked with the sales manager to make sure he worked or something didn't happen. They told me he worked all last week, told them what had happened and I wasn't impressed. They apologized and wanted to know what they could do to make it right. Told them nothing, if that's how there salesman treat potential customers. It was a 2 hour drive for us wanted to do most over the phone before we came in.

For me if you work with me answer my questions, call or email me back right away I will pry buy from you. I am not looking the rock bottom price I am looking for a reasonable price and a feel that someone cares a little about my business. Almost always I do all my research ahead of time and have a list of wants and questions ready to do. I don't want to waste alot of their time or mine.
I 100% agree with what you said. That's exactly how I see it. If they don't care enough to pick up the phone and return my call that's all I need to see. They lost my business and those dollars will be going somewhere else. I will not award someone my business unless they have earned it. You're not getting my business just because you're the closest guy to me.