Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums?

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I've settled on a tractor...

5100e with 260FEL.

I'm still looking for a truck and trailer.

I'm 'thinking' about a CTL... mainly for farm building. I'm guessing... at the outside, I would put 400hrs/yr for 2 years. This would likely be MAX, then just regular 'farm' things depending upon whether I sell it at that time.

I have to admit, I have a soft spot for machinery. I haven't had the opportunity to use it since I left the farm and went to college, but now, I've gone and purchased 84ac of prime Kentucky Bluegrass and want to build a horse farm. I'd like to do as much of the work as is reasonable all the while realizing that if I could actually work MORE at my career job... I could pay for experts to do the work on the farm. HOWEVER, it isn't what I want to do. I can't simply work another day in my career to pay for someone to do the work on the farm. I've built my practice to a ridiculous level of days off and so I'd like to use them as well as possible. I enjoy hard work... but I don't want to do it in my office any more.

So... while I recognize that professionals could do twice the work in half the time, this job of building my farm is both the goal and the reward. I want to enjoy the work and learn... but I want to do it right as well.

In so doing, I'm thinking about purchasing a CTL to get the work done, have the best chance that I do it well, and keep myself from requiring the services of a doctor along the way.

Money IS an issue... I'm not broke, but anything I can save is still a plus. But I want to do it right. I've thought about purchasing a NEW CTL... and then selling it after the work of farm building is completed. I would expect it to take 3 years, so I am planning on 6. I know, that no matter how long it takes, I am unlikely to 'stress' the machinery. I just don't have those sorts of loads and work for the machine to do. (At least I don't believe I do.) But, I've also thought about purchasing a used machine... 1st... a low hour machine... but then I've thought perhaps a higher hour less expensive machine might be just my specific ticket.

However, here are my issues... and you 'in the know' would have a a better idea about what these would mean in this context.

1st. I will have about 3 days a week and 1 week a month to do the work I need to do. So, time is a reality, and a broken machine will cut into my ability to proceed. BUT... I don't have a serious 'time line' that something has to be 'done'. So, I'm limited by availability, but not pressed by a time line.

2nd. Money is an issue... but not the only issue. I do fine, but certainly don't want to WASTE my money. But that in mind, I'm not afraid to spend it well, with a reason. I'm not in the position to have to wire my muffler back into place because of my wallet. What I'd hate, is to cut things too close, and be unable to do what I need/want to do, because I skrimped too much to get the job done.

3rd. I'm willing to work hard, but I am NOT willing to put myself into a high degree of physical harm. When I grew up, I could have jumped off a cliff and just brushed it off... I am no longer a kid, and while I'm in pretty good shape... my brain has kicked in and I realize I'm not bulletproof. Hence, the CTL and post puller rather than a chain and Jack. I want to enjoy myself as I build this farm.

4th. I'm going to get the pros on the things I really need them to do. I'm not building my house or barn... but I'd like to do what I am able on them. But I AM able to clean out the fence line and pound some posts... after I purchase a good solid post driver. I am able to break the dam and 'perhaps' even clean out the pond (if I have a CTL). I can fill sink holes... I can do what I am able and I'd like to stretch that and see what I can actually do in this build.

5th. I know that I have more brains than knowledge... and that sometimes they can get in the way. That's why I'm here... asking question after question. I love learning... and this whole thing is a great opportunity for me to learn new skills and enjoy a completely new goal and type of effort.

So, I'd like to find a forum, similar to TBN, that would help me learn about CTLs. I'd also like anything you can help me with on the subject of what to buy, new/used, why, and what I should be looking for given my goals.

I really enjoy this new opportunity to learn and do.

Last edited:
   / Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums? #2  
So what is on the acreage? Small trees, overgrowth, large trees? Is the ground soft, hard, clay or sandy? Stumps?

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums?
Acreage is 84ac. Mostly soybean/corn fields. I have several grown in fence rows that need to be cleared. pull about 2miles of fence posts, then put in another 4 miles total fence (roughly) for perimeter and paddocks. I have a moderate amount of dirt work to do, such as fill small runs, break a dam and clean out a pond, fill a few sink holes, and I'd like to be able to build as much of my roads (gravel) as possible, if possible. I'd like to do as much of the dirt/excavating for my barns and house as possible, as well as as much of the associated dirt/digging for other random things around the place. I will be buying a Danuser Intimidator post/tree puller. (which I suspect would be better served on a CTL than on my FEL). Danuser Intimidator: Take Control of Your Land! - YouTube

Soil is Maury Loam, with about 30% clay per that definition. There aren't any real 'woods' to clear, but plenty of smaller fence row trash trees and brush to remove. I don't think I would need any forestry mulching, but if so, I think I would just rent a machine set up anyway as I hear that can be overly rough on a machine.

If I keep it, the main work would be moving hay bales etc. Nothing strenuous after the build is complete, hence I think that at that point it might be reasonable to sell it. When I look on Machinertytrader... there are Cat 299Ds (which is one that I looked at and liked) which are selling USED for more than the local dealer quoted me for a 2016 fully spec'd new model. I don't know whether there are variables that I can't see, but the spec I asked for was only short of the Forestry equipment and XHP package.

Basically... it seems as though the residual resale value is very high on these machines. I just don't understand how some of these machines on MT can be priced above retail new prices. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1072/skid-steers-track?NotFound=1&Manu=CATERPILLAR&Mdltxt=299D&mdlx=Contains&OHID=11378657&sortorder=121&SCF=False

IF this is the case, it would be worth me purchasing one, using it, then reselling. The amount of work and ease of working would be well worth this sort of relatively 'small' resell cost. I suspect that at a max, it would have 800hrs when I would be done. I just don't think I would even have time to put more on it, much less the work to use it on.

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums? #4  
The T-B-N archive is your friend:

LINK: Google

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums? #5  
If you are going to have a horse farm will you be haying and will you have to move bales around too. That might mean you keep the Tractor or make sure you get one that will lift the bail or pul the bailer too. I have a 90hp one and left the road and foundation and moving the earth to the earthmoving stuff. They came in with a long ditch witch tip thing and cut the foundation edges and then used a back hoe and bulldozer to dig it out and to push the dirt to make it level. They also cut in my road and the seemingly thousands of trucks of gravel came too. I could have done it but it would have taken me years to get it done and I am happy that I let them do it. As for fence rows, I feel your pain and am working on that right now

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums?
Jeff...

Thanks. I don't ignore the archive, that is for sure. But apparently, I have yet to master it, because I searched it several times, and although I was sure that I'd seen information on CTLs somewhere, I wasn't finding it on this site. I wasn't specific enough, it appears.

What has really surprised me was CTL resale value... and whether the number's I am seeing on Machinery Trader are 'true' or 'trumped up'. I see no reason why they would be falsely increased, however, there is no doubt, the quotes I've received for a CAT 299D are LOWER than what people are asking on Machinery Trader for low hour 2yo models, unless I'm missing something. And if I am... I really want to understand it, because this is no Mickey Mouse investment.

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums? #7  
The new stuff is tier 4 compliant is the used equipment your seeing pre tier 4? If so that could account for the higher price tag than new.

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums? #8  
A 299D CAT is a big machine...the biggest CTL they make, is it not? I'm not sure you necessary need that size machine. The 74 horsepower machines are more common in our area on construction jobsites. Be sure you notice that CAT offers two different undercarriage sets. Stay away from the mutli terrian one and get the dozer style. The MT is several thousand cheaper up front but will cost you in maintenance and general upkeep in my experience.

There are also two styles of lifts on a CTL, radiual and vertical. The vertical lifts more and allows the bucket to go straight up and down but has more moving components. The radial some say is better for grading, especially in a used machine as there isn't as much linkage to be worn.

I recently looked at buying a couple used 1000 hour machines, 3 years old. But after consideration of pulling the money out of pocket to buy used versus buying new at the 0% rates, decided to buy new. Get a warranty for comfort as well.

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums? #9  
---------------

I'd also like anything you can help me with on the subject of what to buy,
new/used, why, and what I should be looking for given my goals.

I really enjoy this new opportunity to learn and do.
Do you Know about compact telehandlers with aux hydraulics and a SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach)?

You won't need a tractor if you get one. :thumbsup:

Here is my experience: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...t/160568-compact-telehandler.html#post3243370

The tree puller: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/277824-tree-puller-post3345203.html#post3345203
8633-9403680.jpg

8187_8945.jpg

NH_5030.jpg

/ Compact track loader... where can I get solid info and recommendations? Forums? #10  
I would tend to lean towards a new machine. I looked at new tractors a few years ago. Then about 4 years later I noticed some of the exact same tractors with low hours selling for dang near what they did new. I guess that's the beauty of inflation if there is one.

Your tractor FEL will accept CTL attachments. You should consider having auxiliary hydraulics on it as well. If you sell your CTL, you can still get a lot of use out of the tractor. A grapple is very handy to have.

I was completely onboard and enjoyed your post until I got to the part about the pond. Have you considered a backhoe? It will go a lot of places a CTL won't. I'm not against your idea of a CTL, just throwing out an idea. Would a backhoe and plumbed FEL on your tractor serve your needs? Oh, a backhoe travels much faster. I'm not sure if you plan to move much dirt or how far, but that may be something to consider as well.