Compact Hay Equipment

/ Compact Hay Equipment #11  
I can't envision the frustration a small rd hay baler operator would experience having to stop for wrapping every time a small bale is created. I get tired of stopping every time a 1000# bale needs wrapping/ejected from my rd baler
I got tired of the wrapping cycle altogether and switched to large square bales!

1671888226317.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Compact Hay Equipment #12  
Rakes and sickle mowers take pretty much no power or tractor weight to run. About the only issue you might run into is the really small tractors don't have much ground clearance and they might not do very well wading through uncut hay when cutting, or going over the cut swath when raking.

The main issue with running a small square baler with a very small tractor is that the tractor won't weigh very much. The tractor needs enough traction to keep the baler from pushing it around, especially if there are any hills. A typical "newer" (mid-1960s and later) small square baler weighs between about 3000 and 4500 pounds, and in general it is recommended that the tractor needs to be heavier than the baler in order for the baler not to push it around. One might need even more weight if the tractor has tires that give it less traction than regular ag tires. And that weight recommendation is for if you just pull the baler behind the tractor and drop the bales on the ground. You would need even more weight to handle a bale wagon/bale basket/accumulator behind the baler. You also wouldn't want to run a baler with too light of a tractor even on flat ground as the baler would shake the tractor back and forth pretty uncomfortably as it packs bales.

Putting up loose hay could be done with a minimum of equipment, back in the past it was done with at most a horse or two. Sickle cutters, rakes, and hay wagons take little power to pull. The real work came in forking the hay into the wagon and then getting it out of the wagon into the barn, and much of that was done by hand. That makes throwing small square bales look easy by comparison.

I don't envy you trying to bale with a 30" baler pickup. You are not kidding about needing to control windrow size when raking if that's what you are needing to do. I would absolutely want no part of a wheel rake with trying to make a windrow that's less than 2 1/2' wide. I bet that it might be tricky to get it narrow enough even with a bar rake if you are in a good stand of hay. I do wholeheartedly agree that a good bar rake is much easier to use in a smaller and irregularly-shaped field than a wheel rake, and it is much easier to control windrow size and shape with one vs. a wheel rake- particularly a V wheel rake.

I would say a small square baler is easier to bale with than a large round baler, I have never used a little round baler. From what you describe, the mechanisms appear pretty similar between the large and small ones. With a small square baler, once you have set the baler set up, all you have to do to keep the windrow between the edges of the pickup and just keep driving until you are done. This compares to watching the bale shape on the monitor and weaving across the windrow to "fill in the low spot" in the bale if needed, watching the bale size closely so you can stop when it's at the correct size, stopping when the bale reaches the correct size, either having to activate the tie or wrap mechanism or have stopped just at the right time so the computer can activate it (and if you forget to stop on an auto-tie/auto-wrap baler, fixing the big mess you made by continuing to bale when it was trying to tie or wrap the bale), waiting for the bale to tie or wrap, ejecting the bale and making sure it doesn't roll somewhere it shouldn't when you eject it, and then resuming baling. The real hassle with small squares versus large rounds is in handling and storing the small square bales, not in baling them or maintaining the baler.

There are certainly a lot more zerks to grease on a small square baler than a round baler. However, round balers are every bit as needing of maintenance as it is much more critical that their bearings get greased well and the baler gets cleaned well compared to a small square baler. A bunch of debris rubbing the belts in a round baler or a bearing going bad can cause a fire that burns the baler to the ground. There is a reason that many new round balers are sold with a big 'ol fire extinguisher strapped to them, while small square balers are not. Knotters are the "fun to fix" part on a square baler, sensors and belts are the fun to fix parts on a round baler. My experience is that both types are quite reliable if maintained properly and stored inside.

I’ve done both for 30 years and I can confidently say that the hassle of putting up small squares in a barn far exceeds the “hassle” of maneuvering to make a well shaped bale, ejecting round bales, or fire. As far as greasing, newer round bales have grease banks on them that are easy to reach. I have had 2 round baler fires. I was able to put both out in a matter of seconds. Maybe I’m just lucky?
Net wrapped round bales can survive a rainfall or 2 sitting outside. Thats a lifesaver for rainy climates. Also, Everything can be handled by one man with a simple bale spear. Small square baling operation would require an expensive accumulator, otherwise you need hired help.

/ Compact Hay Equipment #13  
I’ve done both for 30 years and I can confidently say that the hassle of putting up small squares in a barn far exceeds the “hassle” of maneuvering to make a well shaped bale, ejecting round bales, or fire. As far as greasing, newer round bales have grease banks on them that are easy to reach. I have had 2 round baler fires. I was able to put both out in a matter of seconds. Maybe I’m just lucky?
Net wrapped round bales can survive a rainfall or 2 sitting outside. Thats a lifesaver for rainy climates. Also, Everything can be handled by one man with a simple bale spear. Small square baling operation would require an expensive accumulator, otherwise you need hired help.

I was discussing just the baling process and maintaining a round vs square baler, as the person I replied to was making small round bales that have to be handled manually and stored in a hay barn. Thus, the advantages of handling and storing large rounds vs. small squares do not apply and the discussion really was just about the relative merits of a round baler vs. a square baler. I at least find it simpler to bale with a square baler than a round baler. It sounds like you do too based on your comment about making large squares vs. large rounds. No question it's a lot easier to handle and store large round bales than small squares and that nearly always outweighs any downsides in making them.

It appears that the process of handling and storing small round bales appears if anything worse than that of small squares, as you have to pick each bale up by hand (no throwers/accumulators/stackers) and they don't stack nearly as tightly on a wagon or in the hay barn. It looks to me like the only advantage of the small round balers is that you can use an even smaller compact tractor to run them than you can a small square baler, which doesn't take a very large tractor to run.

/ Compact Hay Equipment #14  
Its a niche market. Honestly I think you could probably by a 8 hp motor from harbor freight mount it on one of those mini round balers and you could bale with a 4 wheeler or UTV. I've run a small square and a mini round on the same tractors and no matter the size of a small squarer you will get the "lunge" from the flywheel of baler running it back up the driveshaft on a CUT. The mini rounder has nothing. It's like running a tedder it never has loaded the engine or drivetrain.

If you need a significant amount of hay there is no way I would recommend one but there are a lot of people now doing the farmsteads.. Where they only need to feed a few pieces of livestock. Low purchase makes you low priority on your hay seller so hay is always a concern. One thing with small equipment is that if you can trailer it easily. You can find free lots all day long from people that just want a parcel cut that someone with large equipment just can't do efficiently or profitably.

/ Compact Hay Equipment #15  
I had two tractors, and I was doing hay. I had a new Holland TL80A with 80 hp and 69 to the PTO. And I had a Massey Ferguson 1528. Which was 28 hp. I also had a new Holland to 273 square baler. I ran thousands of square bales through that 273 baler with the little Massey Ferguson.

The Massey Ferguson was a much better match to the square baler versus the new Holland tractor. With the hydrostatic transmission in the Massey Ferguson versus 12 speed clutch in the new Holland the Massey Ferguson was the clear winner. The Massey Ferguson allowed for optimum ground speed control, with zero surge from the hay baler.

/ Compact Hay Equipment #16  
I was discussing just the baling process and maintaining a round vs square baler, as the person I replied to was making small round bales that have to be handled manually and stored in a hay barn. Thus, the advantages of handling and storing large rounds vs. small squares do not apply and the discussion really was just about the relative merits of a round baler vs. a square baler. I at least find it simpler to bale with a square baler than a round baler. It sounds like you do too based on your comment about making large squares vs. large rounds. No question it's a lot easier to handle and store large round bales than small squares and that nearly always outweighs any downsides in making them.

It appears that the process of handling and storing small round bales appears if anything worse than that of small squares, as you have to pick each bale up by hand (no throwers/accumulators/stackers) and they don't stack nearly as tightly on a wagon or in the hay barn. It looks to me like the only advantage of the small round balers is that you can use an even smaller compact tractor to run them than you can a small square baler, which doesn't take a very large tractor to run.

Didn’t realize you were comparing a small round baler to a small square baler. There I would agree with you, but a “normal” round baler like a 4x5 was easier to me than small squares.

A large square baler presents an enormous capital expenditure, but the bales continuously fall out of the baler with no wrap cycle, no accumulator and no man power. They also stack & transport beautifully.

/ Compact Hay Equipment #17  
Hire her!

/ Compact Hay Equipment #18  
Hire her!

I'd offer her wages of a pair of boots for a day of work.

In all seriousness, it does show that it is still actually possible to do things the way people did in the old days. It also shows how much work they did and how much they got done as well.

/ Compact Hay Equipment #19  
You notice she does all the work, and the pansy in the truck just kind of stands there?

/ Compact Hay Equipment #20  
You notice she does all the work, and the pansy in the truck just kind of stands there?

The person on top of the hay in the back of the truck looks to be about 80 years old and thin enough a stiff breeze would blow them away.