Common sayings that are wrong or butchered

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #231  
Wife & I born & lived in S. Central Virginia all our life (so far!), and so funny had this older friend (rip) from Long Island NY who moved here. Whenever he spoke with a local, I was the interpreter...funny as could be.
"Ah done got me sum aggs, y'all need sum?"
He would look at me, "He has eggs for sale".

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #232  
My Grandfather was born in the late 1800's in Kansas. He was not an uneducated man for the time; he did attend a business college in Kansas. His family was all from Kentucky and Virginia, and he retained a lot of their speech patterns.
Examples:
"Fetch me that hammer"
"Them little devils just fit and fit for a long time (fought)"
"They haint gonna get away with it"

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #233  
When I went to school, you were right. Don't know if that has changed.

Forgot to quote the original. This refers to the "graduate" comment.

Last edited:
   / Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #234  
Not to drift too far off topic, but what's the deal with all day breakfast? I'll admit that I'm not a big one for most breakfast fare, and would really like it if restaurants served lunch fare before 10:30-11am. BK sold some burgers in the morning for a while, but don't think they do anymore.
AMEN!!! What is really frustrating is when I get up, build the fire, feed the dog, maybe take an shower; then drive 4 hours to my mother's house. Often by that time I'm ready for lunch and want to grab a bite before visiting her; yet every place still is selling their breakfast menu.

OR when they finally do put something out and I want to grab a slice of pizza; 9 times out of 9 1/3 it's pepperoni. It's like there are no other toppings that you could put on a pizza.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #237  
AMEN!!! What is really frustrating is when I get up, build the fire, feed the dog, maybe take an shower; then drive 4 hours to my mother's house. Often by that time I'm ready for lunch and want to grab a bite before visiting her; yet every place still is selling their breakfast menu.

OR when they finally do put something out and I want to grab a slice of pizza; 9 times out of 9 1/3 it's pepperoni. It's like there are no other toppings that you could put on a pizza.
Ah, you need to sleep in a little later. Problem solved.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #239  
We spent a week in Maine and ate at a local restaurant on a foggy day so the lobster men didn’t go out. I heard one of them say he and the wife were going down to Ba Haba. He was talking about Bar Harbor but apparently it’s against the law in Maine to pronounce the R’s.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #240  
I heard one of them say he and the wife were going down to Ba Haba. He was talking about Bar Harbor but apparently it’s against the law in Maine to pronounce the R’s.
True for much of New England, though there are certainly regional variations. Not many R's in a Boston accent either, but no one's gonna mistake it for a Maine one.