Common Parts

/ Common Parts #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
Does anyone use an aftermkt. supplier for belts, hoses, and such?

I need a fanbelt for a JD 4320. This is a simple nylon serpentine belt, should cost $15 or so. Local dealer wants over $50 plus tax, plus I go get it.

I understand inventory costs, carrying costs, and so on. And I don't begrudge them a good profit at all. But markups of 400% and more are too much. Evidently these guys still don't get it - seem to think that since they are the only game in town they are also the only option and won't learn until the Feds. end up owning them as well. Rant off.

Anyhow, I'll mail or web order it if there is a reasonable, reliable supplier out there.

/ Common Parts #2  
You may be able to find a reasonable source for common parts. I would try an automotive supply house in your area. Somehow I don't think the dealer is the one with the huge markups. I think he bases his price on what the manufacturer charges him. Remember they have to keep parts in stock for many years after they stop manufacturing a product under federal law. That costs money and many of those parts will never be sold. I don't like the cost of parts any more than you do but unfortunately it's a fact of tractor life.

Andy

Last edited:
   / Common Parts #3  
I second the suggestion to look at a local auto parts store. Take the old belt with you, and they should be able to match it.

Those of use with Grey Market tractor experience have become quite good at this. When there is no dealer network, you get pretty good at improvising and sourcing parts from different places.

Then there's always E-bay.

/ Common Parts #4  
For common belts. i usually go to napa or carquest... for specialty items I usually hit the dealer.

if yo have a part number check to see if it can be cross referenced. carquest crossref'd a studebaker belt that was on my 1949 allis chalmers model G tractor..

soundguy

Does anyone use an aftermkt. supplier for belts, hoses, and such?

I need a fanbelt for a JD 4320. This is a simple nylon serpentine belt, should cost $15 or so. Local dealer wants over $50 plus tax, plus I go get it.

I understand inventory costs, carrying costs, and so on. And I don't begrudge them a good profit at all. But markups of 400% and more are too much. Evidently these guys still don't get it - seem to think that since they are the only game in town they are also the only option and won't learn until the Feds. end up owning them as well. Rant off.

Anyhow, I'll mail or web order it if there is a reasonable, reliable supplier out there.

/ Common Parts #5  
I think you might be a off on what you think this belt will cost. The serpentine belt on my pickup was over $40. Some of the ones at work are over $50. This is buying from Napa.
Bill

/ Common Parts #6  
i agree... 15$ is v-belt money..... not serpentine belt...

soundguy

/ Common Parts #7  
Yea, I'll third that, $15 is V-belt money. Serpentine belts on some of the truck/tractors I work on can easily go over $100 each.

/ Common Parts
J Section

Some examples. The belt I need to replace is a 6-rib poly. Just glancing through I see most of those at $10 - $20.

Also, the oil change place I use replaced the serpentine belt on my explorer last year for about $20, incl. labor (not much labor I'll admit). Deere wants 2.5x more.

It's true some of the very wide (10+ ribs) belts cost more. But that's not what I'm talking about.

Well, Detroit learned the hard way and I suppose Deere will as well. They are quickly losing market share, exactly as the Big-3 did.

Walt's Tractor parts had it for $13 (+10 shipping). Way under 1/2 the Deere price.

In this case I can afford to wait a couple of days, so I'll be curious to see if it's a) the correct part and b) quality / fit.

Last edited:
   / Common Parts #9  
I live over an hours drive from my dealer so I use Carquest and Napa for all regular items. Big savings on filters and fluids. Local supplier for the forestry industry saves me big on hydraulic hoses and fittings as well. (JD 4300)
I use the same people for bearings etc for ATV and similar problems. I just try to stay away from anything made in China. Supplier could sell me Chinese bearings for the tracks on my ATV (I needed eight ) at $7 each or American at $30 each. I ordered the $30 units. When they got here the box said "Made in Mexico"

/ Common Parts
Local NAPA has it, $21

(NAPA PBH6K930;
Goodyear 4060935;
Dayco 5060935 or 5060930;
Gates K060935HD for heavy duty),

used on about 50 GM vehicles over the past 5 years or so.