Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I have a large quantity of commercial rubber roofing. It is perhaps 1/16 thick or a bit more. I plan to extend my gravel drive. In the past I have taken the top soil off and then put gravel in. Only needed to refresh after about 8 years but get some weeds etc. in the same.
The thought was on the extension to put down this rubber roofing first so it might keep the gravel from going down and keep the weeds out. I have enough to put on more than one layer if that is better. The question, should I put some holes in the rubber so water can filter through and down or let it as is. Pros and cons? Thanks

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane
I changed the heading so it would give more information

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane #3  
My weeds start on the surface with wind blown seeds and grow down. I don't think the rubberized roofing under the gravel would stop my weeds. I would think that the roofing would hinder water draining from the surface gravel and would allow the surface to stay wet after rains.

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane #4  
Since it's free, and you have plenty of it, I don't see any reason not to use it. I would want it to be higher then the drainage on the sides of the road. As already mentioned, the seeds will land on top of the gravel and grow there, so you're not really blocking them with the liner.

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane #5  
My weeds start on the surface with wind blown seeds and grow down. I don't think the rubberized roofing under the gravel would stop my weeds. I would think that the roofing would hinder water draining from the surface gravel and would allow the surface to stay wet after rains.
I dont think hes trying to use it as a weed blocker. More like road fabric.

Road fabric works very well even if you put it right on top soil. Depending on soil type removing the top soil may just make a pool filled with gravel. I would pit holes in it.

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane #6  
I dont think hes trying to use it as a weed blocker. More like road fabric.

Road fabric works very well even if you put it right on top soil. Depending on soil type removing the top soil may just make a pool filled with gravel. I would pit holes in it.
He said..."The thought was on the extension to put down this rubber roofing first so it might keep the gravel from going down and keep the weeds out."

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane #7  
There are two ways to keep a road base dry thereby increasing the road's permanence. One, make the road permeable, usually with washed stone, so water can flow through it and go somewhere else. Two, make the road impermeable, often done with asphalt, so water can flow off of it and go somewhere else. Ease of going "somewhere else" is critical. Your proposal to use a membrane falls into the second category. I would crown or slope the sub-base so than any water flows away on the membrane. Do not pierce the membrane, either intentionally or unintentionally. I would use a layer of sand or similar on top of the membrane to prevent traffic from driving stones through the membrane.

While weed seeds will grow in the dust and soil that accumulates, the roots will be blocked by the (unperforated) membrane. Shallow roots may be easier to pull and more susceptible to chemical treatment.

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane #8  
These discussions are always variable based on geography. Here in God's Country a membrane of any kind is wasted. Since I can't speak for his location, I'd find another use for the rubber membrane and properly build/gravel the extension.

/ Commercial rubberized roofing under gravel in lane #9  
Use typar for drainage.