Commercial Flying

/ Commercial Flying #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
A question about commercial pilots....

'Drunk' pilot removed from BA plane at Gatwick Airport - BBC News

^ article refers to "......level of alcohol was over the prescribed limit. "

I wasn't aware (ignorance showing) that comm pilots were allowed any BAC reading.

Q) Is there an international acceptable BAC limit for commercial pilots, or is it country/carrier based ?

Obvious exceptions being countries that ban alcohol outright.

Rgds, D.

/ Commercial Flying #2  
The general rule was "12 hours from bottle to throttle", but that was for general aviation forty-some years ago. I'd imagine that 135 ops are a lot more stringent, probably something in the FARs here.
There's a pretty good discussion about this just getting ramped up on PPRuNe, might want to give that a miss unless you really like watching how sausage is made.

/ Commercial Flying #3  
FAA regs are still 12 hours from bottle to throttle for all crew members including flight attendants. Violation can be immediate dismissal.

/ Commercial Flying
FAA regs are still 12 hours from bottle to throttle for all crew members including flight attendants. Violation can be immediate dismissal.

One would hope that's enough time to sober up, though I've known a few who would take that as a challenge :rolleyes:

Here, you'll get a suspension for blowing .05 on a breathalyzer roadside; I'd like to think that enforcement at airports is at least that strict.

Rgds, D.

/ Commercial Flying #5  
Seems I heard that for at least some commercial airline pilots it is 24 hours so basically if they are on duty with a next day turn around it is alcohol and drug free entirely.

/ Commercial Flying #7  
So......nobody can regale us with the specific FAA limits on blood alcohol or, in truth, there are none. WOW!!! Ain't that just grand.

That "throttle to bottle", good 'ol boy quote really gives me a warm fuzzy feeling at 35,000 feet.

Last edited:
   / Commercial Flying
In one country DIY on the road also costs U your pilot's ticket.

You'll see a news item like the BBC one above every now and then.

Being used to heavy on-road enforcement for at least 30 years, I got to wondering what the air regs are concerning booze.

Drugs; that's a whole other kettle of bananas....

Rgds, D.

/ Commercial Flying #9  
So......nobody can regale us with the specific FAA limits on blood alcohol or, in truth, there are none. WOW!!! Ain't that just grand.

That "throttle to bottle", good 'ol boy quote really gives me a warm fuzzy feeling at 35,000 feet.

I previously stated that it is the FAA rule of 12 hours (and of course not being legally intoxicated after those 12 hours). My daughter is a flight attendant and that rule is for all crew members.

/ Commercial Flying #10  
In one country DIY on the road also costs U your pilot's ticket.

I am not sure of the connection between Do-It-Yourself and a pilto's ticket?