Commercial Diesel additive needed?

/ Commercial Diesel additive needed? #1  

2516mo

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 mahindra 2516 gear
My inexperience is showing.....With the type 2 diesel, do I need to be worried about gelling fuel? Is there an additive needed? This is almost clear fuel that I purchased from the local gas station this summer, not red ag fuel.

If so, is the stuff at TSC sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

/ Commercial Diesel additive needed? #3  
For peace of mind you can pick up some Power Service Diesel fuel supplement and cetane boost additive to prevent gelling. You don't need to add much so a bottle lasts a long time. A 32oz. bottle treats up to 100 gallons. Most auto parts, truck stops, wallyworld etc. carry it.

/ Commercial Diesel additive needed? #4  
For peace of mind you can pick up some Power Service Diesel fuel supplement and cetane boost additive to prevent gelling. You don't need to add much so a bottle lasts a long time. A 32oz. bottle treats up to 100 gallons. Most auto parts, truck stops, wallyworld etc. carry it.
I agree. Power Service is a good additive though I think FTTP is better for limeted useage and long term storage.

Two rules here. Find a place to buy number two fuel from so you don't pay the highway tax and two, make sure the place moves plenty of fuel to minimize moisture buildup in the storage tank.

/ Commercial Diesel additive needed? #5  
This morning I got an answer from my local Sunoco service station. I had asked what type of diesel were they selling, type 1, 2, 4 or 6?
Today the manager told me "type 2"
My reply "wrong answer, that's summer blend. I'm not going to buy diesel from here any more this winter."

This excerpt may explain it better -
"#2 diesel fuel has a wax component that contributes to the lubricity and heat value of the fuel. The "cloud point" refers to the temperature when the wax precipitates out of the fuel in the form of small wax crystals. Different fuel blends can have very different cloud point temperatures, generally ranging from -10F to +40F. #1 diesel fuel does not contain large amounts of wax, and therefore does not have a noticeable cloud point. Diesel fuel distributors blend local diesel fuel supplies so that the cloud point is usually not reached. However, if ambient temperatures fall below the cloud point of the fuel on a vehicle, the precipitated wax crystals can quickly coat and plug a filter element."

/ Commercial Diesel additive needed? #6  
1) No
2) see #1 above

/ Commercial Diesel additive needed? #7  
My inexperience is showing....
1*With the type 2 diesel, do I need to be worried about gelling fuel? Is there an additive needed?
2*This is almost clear fuel that I purchased from the local gas station this summer, not red ag fuel.
3*If so, is the stuff at TSC sufficient?
Thanks in advance!
---------1*Are you asking about Winter or Summer blend diesel ; or you are referring to Diesel VS Kerosene ?
"""""""""2*They are both ULSD The red one is the same as you got at the local gas station.
______ 3*I use PS in the white bottle.

Last edited:
   / Commercial Diesel additive needed? #8  
Howe's is $12 a bottle, it treats more fuel than you will use in a year. It's cheap insurance.

/ Commercial Diesel additive needed? #9  
I use Howes , also sell it at my store . One thing I like about it is over treating will not harm anything . Howes recommends double dosing first three tanks to make sure everything is clean . I use it all year long , summer at a lesser rate , not ever had any problems .

/ Commercial Diesel additive needed?
I ended up at Tractor Supply and am using the Power Service. I have not had any problems yet, just wanted to be prepared. I currently store the tractor in the detached garage with a heat source keeping it about 40 degrees. Problem is we traded my wife's car and it will now fit in the garage, which means the tractor may have to go under cover outside............