Combo stump bucket and tree puller?

/ Combo stump bucket and tree puller? #1  

Rich_Z

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474HC
My TYM T474HC showed up this past Friday, and the only implement I got extra was a pallet fork. So I am looking at implements (not sure what is considered an "implement" and what is considered as an "attachment") on a prioritized basis of what would be most useful right away. Right off the bat, I can see where having a combo stump bucket and tree puller would be VERY useful to me, as I have some stumps from prior cut trees, and many small trees and saplings that could be just pulled out of the ground, rather than cutting than digging up the roots. So a tool that could tackle both would be ideal. At least in my humble opinion.

The T474 weighs 3,660 lbs. 48.3 HP at the engine. FEL lift capacity is 2,152 lbs at pivot pin. Breakout force at ground level is 3,198 lbs.

Yeah, I could get separate units, but it just seems logical and reasonable to have one tool to do both, even if some compromise would be needed.

Any input on which model/manufacturer would be the best fit for such an animal?

/ Combo stump bucket and tree puller? #3  
Love my Danuser Intimdator. Use both on a Kubota B26 and M59. Grip low, drive forward to break it loose then lift and curl. Can excavate when you need to. Pile and carry.

Everything Attachments has copied the concept. Videos on their website. Bought one on sale over Labor weekend sale. Payment deducted from credit card and paid invoice sent. Then I called when they were open because they charged tax even though I put in my tax exempt number and previous customer. Then told me the price on their website was not right, my fault even if totally out of my control, wanted about $300 more!?!? Four month wait. Have to pay full upfront no matter how long the wait. Change in price and rude customer service had me asking for a refund. Would’ve been one of the few people to use and compare both.

/ Combo stump bucket and tree puller? #4  
Last edited:
   / Combo stump bucket and tree puller? #5  
Another approach is to buy a tree puller $1390 and separately buy a stump bucket $890. Tractor Attachments — MTL Attachments Not saying it's the best, but it should be functional.

However, if it were my new tractor, (1) I would want to get past the initial break in period before doing very hard work and (2) I would personally be reluctant to dig out stumps and tree roots with a stump bucket because that's going to be hard on any tractor front end loader. Maybe your soil is loose enough, but I don't know how this will go for you. I'm mentioning this as a precaution to consider.

I might also mention that I feel conflicted whether I'd recommend a grapple as a first purchase over a tree puller. If you have material that is already down that needs to be moved, the grapple would be my choice for that. However, if you want to yank out smaller saplings one at a time, then the tree puller would be better for that. Usually, this will go more easily in the Spring when the soil is saturated with moisture.

One of the guys here made a bracket for his grapple that allows him to pull small saplings. That is another option to consider.

For a new tractor, I'd very much recommend as an initial priority that you add a brush guard for your front grill and possibly filter guards under your tractor to protect any filters that could be damaged by brush. (I spent 4-6 weeks fabricating guards for one of my tractors before I put it to work moving brush.)

Congratulations on your new T474. I hope it serves you well.

/ Combo stump bucket and tree puller?
For the record, the soil here is mostly sand. There may be pockets of clay here and there, but for the most part it is going to be sand with loam from fallen leaves and tree detritus on top. So it should be pretty easy digging. Of course, the trees might be compensating with a wider root network.

And yes, I ordered a brush guard last night. :)

The idea is to pull or knock over as many small trees/saplings as I can that will be in the areas I want to clear. That would be using the combo stump bucket and tree puller. Then when I get the grapple, pull out all the loose stuff and stack it somewhere out of the way. Next step would be to use a flail mower (which will also be my rear ballast most of the time) to take care of the roots, brush, and any other small stuff. Jury is still out as to whether I will need that ballast right away with the combo on the front end.

One other "implement" (thanks for the definitions!) I am considering is a land plane. Mostly for my driveway area. Over the years the center hump has gotten pretty high, and one of my cars rides low enough that eventually I am going to be picking grass off of the exhaust system.

/ Combo stump bucket and tree puller? #7  
Yes, you will need ballast for FEL work.

Intimdator works good ripping out the little stuff. Longer tongs makes for better line on sight.

A much cheaper option is Piranha tooth bar. Great for removing small trees and brush. V-teeth grip and pull up small trees. Low grips and cuts small stuff. Helps carry off stuff but nowhere as good as a brush grapple. I can clear brush faster and smoother with the Piranha bar than the grapple. Might even do your driveway hump. Hope you optioned the heavy duty bucket.

Land planes are wonderful too.

Nice to have options.

/ Combo stump bucket and tree puller? #8  
A tractor FEL isn’t the right tool for digging stumps. It’s easy to damage one doing that. If you do want to move forward the Danuser puller is a nice tool. But it’s 5k. You could probably buy an economy puller and a dedicated stump bucket for half the price.

/ Combo stump bucket and tree puller?
A tractor FEL isn’t the right tool for digging stumps. It’s easy to damage one doing that. If you do want to move forward the Danuser puller is a nice tool. But it’s 5k. You could probably buy an economy puller and a dedicated stump bucket for half the price.
I won't be tackling big trees. I prefer keeping most of the forest intact, especially the planted pines that might be commercially sold some day. Matter of fact, there are some species of trees that I would prefer keeping, so it might make for taking interesting directions through the woods. So your advice is well taken. Might be best to just get an economy tree puller, and presume that anything it won't easily remove is just best left where it is and move on to something else. Making walking paths through the woods can give me a lot of flexibility as to where I want to go. If I can't go straight, no problem. Just go in another direction.

And I do have some stumps here and there that I do want to remove, from trees cut down over the years. So a stump bucket would come in handy.

So...... still considering options.

Of course, having a cab on the tractor I have to be mindful of lower branches, which means either breaking out the pole saw or changing direction.

/ Combo stump bucket and tree puller? #10  
I ended up getting a stinger stp-34 tree puller for clearing prickly ash, buckthorn, honeysuckle, mulberry - invasive brush that had taken over the woodlots and fencerows. It does a real good job at that, and I was able to clear large swaths of 2-3" or less. I would pull an area, then come back with the grapple and gather into piles to burn later. The neighbors of course noticed what was going on, and by the next year I see at least two acquired their own and started clearing their places. The one I got supposedly has blades and barbs on the front for digging, as in digging roots and stumps, but I wouldn't recommend using it for that with a FEL. You could, but it's not the right combination, not very effective, leaves a mess of tangled broken roots sticking up, too easy to screw up doing it wrong. If it's that hard to remove, just cut it off at the ground and leave it. Even if you put it on a skid steer, which could handle that type of work better, I'm not sure I would because of the mess it leaves behind. Better to cut it off flush, and let the stump rot away until a nudge with a bucket or pinch with the grapple can push it up and out.