Color photographs from 1939-1943.

/ Color photographs from 1939-1943. #2  
Dan,

Thanks for the link. For some reason that I can't put my finger on, I think the B&W photos of that era do a more powerful job of conveying some of the hardships of folks back then.

Steve

/ Color photographs from 1939-1943.
For some reason B&W photos impart a certain feeling. I don't know if it is just that we know that B&W is "old" technology and/or something cultural.

I saw some old photos of the same time period taken in my county seat. I have stood on the same spot used to take some of the photos. It was interesting to see how people looked and dressed. A couple of things stood out to me in both sets of photographs:

• Rural clothes have not changed much. :laughing:
  • While poor, rural people had food.
  • But not junk food, look how thin they all are. Taint a fat man in sight. :D
  • Kids worked young.
Later,
Dan

/ Color photographs from 1939-1943. #5  
I enjoyed that. So do you all think the world was a better place back then?

/ Color photographs from 1939-1943. #6  
Thanks Dan i really enjoyed looking into the past in color. Great link.

/ Color photographs from 1939-1943. #7  
You know it's pretty amazing to look back in time and see the huge differences in society and Americana in general. Seems like alot of people from my generation(I'm 42) have pretty much forgotten just how much has changed in the past 40 years, much less 70...Heck I can remember 3 channels on the TV, rotary dial phones and being able to identify the major components of my buddy's cars when they popped the hood to show off some new parts!:D (Yep, that's the carb,alternator,coil,power steering,brake booster,distributer,etc.)

Computers were something you read about in the library when doing research for a school paper on NASA...

If I wanted to talk to/play with my friends, we made plans at school then we'd ride our bikes 2 to 10 miles to each others houses. We would camp out and play army in the woods and shoot our 22's and daisy BB guns at tin cans(And never at each other 'cause our daddy's would tan our hides!) If we killed something,(say a squirrel or rabbit) we would take it to Grandma's house and she would skin and fry it and we'd eat like kings!

Our parent's taught us to RESPECT our elders and how to shoot and clean our guns.
I learned the importance of saying yes sir/ma'am and thank you almost at birth.
I chopped and carried the wood to fuel the woodstove my Grandma used to make homemade biscuits and cobblers, and was happy to do it! (Lord, I miss her cooking...)
If I misbehaved at any of my relative's houses, A switch was used to quickly instruct me in the error of my ways, and it was done with patient temperment, not anger...(If you look at your child wrong now, the Gov.will throw you in jail:confused:)

When I was 6 yrs. old I would walk behind my father and pick up the stray tobacco leaves he would occasionally drop when he was helping my Uncle and Grandpa harvest the crops...My reward? An ice-cold pepsi and a slice of watermelon waiting at the barn...
(If I ask my 14 yr. old nephew to help me carry in a coffee table I've fixed for his mom, he looks at me like I'm crazy and expects a $20.00 bill when we're done!)

I miss manners.
I miss family bonds and love.
I miss neighbors working together to bring communities together and protect and watch out for each other's children.
I miss being able to raise a family without having the Gov. tell me what I can and can't teach them and how I'm supposed to discipline them.
I miss Saturday mornings riding in the back of Daddy's old Dodge truck to the General store and getting a $.10 ice cream and a $.20 Pepsi while the local farmers talked shop on the covered porch.
I miss sittin' on the tailgate of that same truck and watching Old Yellow at the local drive-in while (willingly) sharing a box of popcorn and a coke w/my sister...

Yes, there were some hard/sad times and it wasn't always a rose garden, but it was a simple,safe and pure life that most people of this day and age will never know... Cherish the memories, cherish the memories.;)

/ Color photographs from 1939-1943. #8  
Very interesting pictures. I didn't know they even had color photography back then.

/ Color photographs from 1939-1943. #10  
Yesterdays seem stronger than today.

Thank you for sharing. :)