Cold temps and tractors?

/ Cold temps and tractors? #21  
Yikes! I can't imagine living anywhere where an engine can't warm up unless it's running above idle! Have you considered moving farther south?

Unlike SI engines which run at relatively constant peak temperature (relatively constant fuel/air ratio) , diesels run across a wide range of fuel to air ratio which means that at low load the peak temperature is low and the peak temperature increases with loa. That's why Slowpoke Slim (above) does what he does in cold temperatures.

/ Cold temps and tractors? #22  
Yikes! I can't imagine living anywhere where an engine can't warm up unless it's running above idle! Have you considered moving farther south?

It's actually not a problem, you just have to be aware of it. And like anything else, if you're prepared for the climate, and your equipment is set up to handle it, it's just another day.

And I moved up here from Phoenix, AZ in 2011. Lol. So I guess you could say I'm going the "other direction"...

:laughing:

/ Cold temps and tractors? #23  
Mine sits outside year 'round. Winters get to -40 F here. I have a block heater, a stick on pad heater on the oil pan sump, and a stick on pad heater on the hydro sump. I have them on a timed outlet to come on in the morning, at least an hour before I know I need the tractor. My OEM Interstate wet cell battery died the first time it hit -30 F. Replaced it with an Optima red top AGM battery, and ZERO battery issues since (2 winters now). I'm also running Amsoil synthetic engine oil. I use the white bottle Power Service additive and run winter red dye fuel. Tractor always starts on the first glow plug cycle.

Other than replacing the stock battery with an AGM, the best thing I did was the oil pan and hydro sump heaters. The hydro heater allows me to start using the tractor almost immediately when it starts. No having to wait until all that hydro fluid warms up and the HST and hydraulic controls start working.

Start it up, let it idle for a minute or two, then bump the idle speed up to 1500 rpms and leave it there until I'm done and shut it down. If you don't bump the idle up, it will actually lose heat and cool off while it's sitting there idling when it's -40 F outside.
Jim, which AMSOIL are you using in your tractor? I'm here in Ontario Canada and our temps can get quite low too. Thanks,
Dutchy

/ Cold temps and tractors? #24  
Jim, which AMSOIL are you using in your tractor? I'm here in Ontario Canada and our temps can get quite low too. Thanks,
Dutchy

It's synthetic 15w40. My Branson dealer is an Amsoil dealer as well.

/ Cold temps and tractors? #25  
Slim (not Jim...LOL),
Good to hear what others use. I use the High-Performance 10W-40. It has a nice low pour point and good ZDDP numbers and I'm happy with it too.
Thanks, Dutchy

Last edited:

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Armstrong AG RB2000II Hay Fork (A33041)
Armstrong AG...
Roofing Conveyor (A33041)
Roofing Conveyor...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
Bobcat 74" Light Material Bucket (A32803)
Bobcat 74" Light...
9' Reading Body for Dually (A33544)
9' Reading Body...
Watercolor Painting (A33041)
Watercolor...