Cogon grass, how to kill it forever?

/ Cogon grass, how to kill it forever? #1  

sunandsand

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Have about 60 acres of pretty much flat, somewhat sandy land. We're starting to get Cogon Grass. It is on some adjacent lots (not mine), on an easement, and on a railroad right of way. The RR couldn't care less about it, but they get right cranky when someone trespasses (as well they should - it is a good way to get killed).

I have a Kubota 2601 HST with a belly mower and a 5' bush hog. It works fine on the other brush and miscellaneous small trees (pine saplings) but trying to mow cogon grass is like trying to mow steel wool. I can do it, but it is SO SLOW as to be incredible. Further, the wispy seed plumes clog the radiator so I have to stop frequently and clean it or the tractor will overheat.

I've looked at the various informational websites about killing cogon grass. Ugh. Glysophate, which is just as likely to kill me as it, mow and till 8" deep three times a week for nine years, sounds like a LOT of work, burning it just makes it happier so napalm won't help, I am tempted to just pour 6" of concrete over it and be done . . . and nothing eats it, either.

Florida dept of ag used to have a subsidy program, but that's gone now, we are on our own.

There's a reason that cogon grass is considered one of the ten worst invasive species in the world.

Any suggestions? Nuclear weapons?

Thank you and best regards,

Mike/Florida

Last edited: