code 157-21 low fuel rail pressure and filter swap G series

/ code 157-21 low fuel rail pressure and filter swap G series #1  

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G, Deere X744, Cub Cadet IH 982
My G series TC stopped, locked up, and threw a 157-21 code "rail pressure control fault". It was just above zero F and I wasn't happy how my off-road fuel was testing in the freezer this year. After the fault, it would run and drive around if you didn't work it much. I was coming up on my 500 hour fuel filter change so I went ahead and installed filter # 7023589. I also siphoned out 2 jugs of fuel and bought some at the truck stop that should be a good blend. I'm testing it now in the freezer. I do treat with PS white bottle but that is not enough.

The filter change went just like the manual told me except I did not remove the passanger seat. With the filter assy hanging from the hoses, I was able to bleed the air out before clamping it up. It actually was quite easy to do. We have 2 snow storms coming so I will be able to test it then.

Last edited:
   / code 157-21 low fuel rail pressure and filter swap G series #2  
I just realized that I have several months old summertime fuel in mine.

Don't have to worry about real cold temperatures for long periods down here.

/ code 157-21 low fuel rail pressure and filter swap G series
I cut the fuel filter apart (i'm nosy) to see the construction of the filter and what it captured. It is a plastic case but seems thick and well made. It has large threads where it screws into the aluminum fuel filter head and uses 2 o-rings to seal. The inside filter itself is a heavy thick media that is even tough for a hacksaw to get through. I did not see a bunch of debris, wax, or gelling between the pleats but it doesn't take much to plug a 2 micron filter either. At the right is the water sensor that screws in the bottom.

fuel filter 003_1.JPG

/ code 157-21 low fuel rail pressure and filter swap G series #4  
I just realized that I have several months old summertime fuel in mine.

Don't have to worry about real cold temperatures for long periods down here.

Boy was I wrong, This has been the coldest February ever in central Oklahoma. Today is the 13th consecutive day below 32 degrees for the high, but predicted to go above that this afternoon, so the snow should start to melt.

The good news is I don't need to start the Toolcat 2_thumbs-up.png.

My TC has been running good after the filter/fuel swap. I was cleaning up the snow and pushing piles back....oops, I got stuck out by the road. I was too far off the drive and the rear wheel got stuck down where the culvert is. The excavator neighbor was also busy plowing snow with the trucks so he came to the rescue. The one truck has a plow on the front that will tip forwards to back-drag....I never saw such a thing. They scraped the road clean so the bosses truck had traction. His 1 ton PU is loaded with tools and a transfer tank so he pulled it out easy.

This Bobcat mechanic decided to buy some of the cheap fuel filters and cut them apart to see how they are made. Like he says, you get what you pay for. He has many other Bobcat repair videos too.