Cockpit (operator station) specs?

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #1  

navajo001

Tractor
none
Hello all.

First post so please be patient. :D

So, I have wanted a compact tractor for years now and am thinking about just doing it. However, every tractor dealer around me is well over an hour away (in different directions mostly) so want to maximize my search.

Let's just say I am a WELL ROUNDED individual and worry about fitting my big belly behind the steering wheel. I do ride a JD E130 riding mower and the wheel just skims my belly with the seat all the way back.

I know the best answer is to go sit on a few but, the driving distances... SO I've been downloading some of the spec sheets but can't find much info on distance from seat back to steering wheel. I'm not at the point of wanting a certain manyfacturer yet, have been looking at Kubota, Yanmar, Mahindra, Massey, Kioti, etc.

Any input from you guys? Who generally has the most room in the seat?

Thanks!

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #2  
My suggestion is identify the models that have tilt steering and go test drive them. I know with my Branson seat all the way back and the steering wheel tilted all the way up, there is a tremendous amount of room.

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #3  
Narrow your search to those that include a tilt steering wheel. Be aware that tilt may only be available on the deluxe trim version, though. My Kioti ck4010 SE has it. Standard versions, ie non SE don’t, although it may be an option on them.

Also, consider how flat the floor is, and whether the HST is controlled by two pedals or a treadle. Two pedals seem easier to use on a small tractor, especially if the operator gas large feet. I almost opted for a flat floor NX, although the CK floor is flatter than some competitors.

Where the loader controls are located is another ergonomics question. Fender mounted is preferred by most.

Sprung seats with easy to use adjustments rather than fixed are another feature to consider for comfort.

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #4  
I can relate to the well rounded bit. My 1742 Massey has tilt wheel and I fit in with not much room to spare. Sat in it at the dealer, said, this is good, never started it. Bought it. By well rounded I mean 330 lbs, six ft tall.

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #5  
What are you looking to do with your tractor? What size machine are you thinking? Once you have the size narrowed down it'll make it easier to pin things down from there. That said, both my Deere 1025R subcompact and Kioti CK2610 compact have proven quite comfortable for my 6'5" and 350 pound self to operate.

Also, welcome!

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #6  
I'm a short portly.. 5x5'7"... was 265 but now down to 225 - I fit much better (trying to get to under 200 so my doc gets off my back). I operate an older Massey 1533 compact (pictured) and if you blow that up and look closely, I had plenty of room for my rotundness...

Given that tractor is clutch operated, manual tranny - no hydrostat, my biggest issue is being able to get the clutch fully depressed with my short legs. The pedal reach is pretty long. So I can't move back too far.

I think a tilt wheel would help a bunch to get the wheel above the "tire" in the middle.

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #7  
Yup tilt steering as the saying goes is "cats @ss" except when you go to stand up and for get release tilt steering you will set back down even quicker.

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #8  
What size and horsepower tractor are you looking for Navajo?
One thing that surprised me, I have a Kubota B2620 (older version of the B2601) and when I went to my dealer to try a bigger chassis L2501 I found it really cramped compared to the B.
Didn't have nearly the space or even foot space my B has.

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs?
Wow! Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm embarrassed to say that it never even dawned on me that tractors would have tilt steering. Last tractor I was on was back in the mid 80's!

As for tasks, I'd be using it for maintaining roughly 1 mile of steep driveway that's always deeply rutted and with potholes at the bottom as well as dragging downed trees out of the way (nothing too big, mostly dead apple and locust trees). Possibly a smallish rotary cutter some day for making firing lanes through the overgrown fields/orchards for hunting. The fields are brush hogged once a year by the owner so it won't have to handle saplings, etc, just tall thick weeds.

Not really interested in a belly mower as the JD rider is only a few years old and works fine.

I definitely want to stick with a compact even though I know road maint could always use more power! Something in the 20 - 30 HP, 4 wheel drive. HST preferred. I DO like the side by side pedals on the JD, not sure I could get used to a rocker.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out. I'll have a lot more questions soon I am sure.

/ Cockpit (operator station) specs? #10  
I have the Yanmer YT235C and have plenty of room
and it has a tilt steering wheel.

willy