Clutch won't disengage? L2650

/ Clutch won't disengage? L2650 #1  

SouthernSky

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota L3200DT
Parked up my 12-year-old Kubota L2650 4WD two months ago. Today I went to fire it up and noticed nothing happened when I pressed the clutch. To get it in gear, I had to force the lever Forward on the gear shift and Slow (turtle) on the speed shifter. To stop, I had to kill the engine because the clutch just won't disengage. I looked underneath and saw no visible signs of damage to the linkage, but ...

I have had a leak all along and did notice today there was a considerable amount of fluid on the inside of the right front wheel all over the rim and believe it leaked out through a seal during a recent freeze. Could/would that even affect anything if it was set on 2WD instead of 4WD?

Could these problems be directly related? What would you do first?

/ Clutch won't disengage? L2650 #2  
Clutch plate is probably rusted to the flywheel. Sometimes it will break free on it's on. I've heard some say on here to get it moving in a high gear and then stomp on the brakes. It needs a shock load to break it free. Next time you store it for a long period, use something to hold the clutch pedal down to prevent it from occuring again.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Clutch won't disengage? L2650
Wow! That doesn't sound good. So you don't think the right front leak is related, htat I really have two problems?

/ Clutch won't disengage? L2650 #4  
The clutch and leaking seal are unrelated. You might try doing a search here for ''clutch probems'' ''rusted flywheel'' or ''stuck clutch'' to give you some tips on breaking it free. My JD870 clutch got stuck the same as yours. After running it several hours it finally broke loose and was fine.

You may also want to search for the ''wheel seal problem''

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Clutch won't disengage? L2650 #5  
Clutch plate is probably rusted to the flywheel. Sometimes it will break free on it's on. I've heard some say on here to get it moving in a high gear and then stomp on the brakes. It needs a shock load to break it free. Next time you store it for a long period, use something to hold the clutch pedal down to prevent it from occuring again.

Sincerely, Dirt

I just stumbled across this old thread and thought I'd add some input. I had the same issue on my Shibaura and tried the "stamp on the brakes" trick. Broke the ring gear! Try this with extreme caution. Better would be pulling a load for some distance in as high a gear as you can, see if it will break loose.

/ Clutch won't disengage? L2650 #6  
Guys- great post.

Had some rain and snow, and the tractor just sat for a while. Went to do some drive way grading and the clutch would't disengage.
Did a search on the web and found this forum!
So, drove around a little bit stamping on the clutch. Nothing happened. I gave up and was just about to shut down, when the clutch gradually started working. Used the tractor for about half an hour. Got the job done.

So- clutch was probably rusted to the flywheel.

During my check of the linkage earlier, I found a little tab that pivots down to keep the clutch disengaged when parked- problem solved!

Thanks!