Cloths dryerthoughts and surprise

/ Cloths dryerthoughts and surprise #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
I just wanted to pass along a small situation i ahd with my electric cloths dryer and maybe a couple of hints that can make yours run safer and longer.Mine is a few years old and gets used alot.Lately its developed a squeek from the belt. I assumed the belt would be breaking soon, and let it go untill it finally did and then replace the belt.well the squeek was on and off as the drum turned.I started to research a cheap place to buy a belt online and found a video of how to replace it. I almost didnt watch it as I knew somewhet how to do it. But i watched and it was simpler than I thought to remove the panels.
After watching the video I found I dont have to remove the wires as they do, just turn the front panel to the left like a door, Also notice they dont clean any of the lint near the blower .:confused2::confused2:On mine it was stuffed solid. No wonder they took so long to dry. I also am faithful to clean the lint filter each load and then i clean the hose twice a year. And I still had this build up.So Im sure it will save energy now.
Also the intermediate queek was because the tub was work out ont he front panel rider. I wonder how many fires firemen see that dont really get know to the people.So I put some grease on that and now its smooth running.
Anyways for safety(fire) sake clean the lint, and keep it lubed.lol I might even replace the burnt out bulb.:cool2::cool2:
Oh here is the parts place and the video link i watched.

http://www.partselect.com/PS1766009-GE-WE12M29-Drive-Belt.htm?SourceCode=4&SearchTerm=DBXR463ED1WW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KFbBuscBVI&feature=player_embedded

/ Cloths dryerthoughts and surprise #2  
I learned not to wait when my dryer develops a squeak. Like yours my squeak was the front of the drum rubbing where the felt guide had worn out. I eventually had to replace the entire drum. The felt which wears out can be replaced and is a simple job involving gluing new felt on.

/ Cloths dryerthoughts and surprise
my felt is totally gone.lol any thogughts where to get some?

/ Cloths dryerthoughts and surprise #4  
my felt is totally gone.lol any thogughts where to get some?

The same place as the video link would be a good starter or one of the links here:Google

/ Cloths dryerthoughts and surprise #5  
I have found in the past that when a dryer develops a squeak, that's not the belt. It's the tensioner that keeps the belt tight. They are usually made of nylon and have permanently oiled bearings. The bearing dry out thus the squeak. My old Kenmore has such a tensioner in the rear right corner. I gave it a shot of WD40 one time and the squeak disappears for a while but comes back. Then I learned how to break down the dryer to replace the belt or whatever.

The worse dryer vent tubing you can buy is that accordion type. It holds lint really bad. Your better off buying the smooth surface metal piping. They make lint brushes to be used to break the stuck lint loose on the opposite site of the reusable link filter. Also using a chimney sweep brush gently in your dryer vent tubing with clean it quite a bit. They make a soft bristle brush on a cable for this very purpose. If your clothes are really really hot when taken out of the dryer, it's time to clean the vent from the dryer to the outside before disaster hits. -robert

/ Cloths dryerthoughts and surprise #6  
try a store like home despot.. they have felt strips used for weatherstripping.

also.. don't foget to clean the duct in your house the dryer vents out of. i do mine once a year.. if I forget.. takes longer to dry.. etc..