Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Clearing snow from a pond

/ Clearing snow from a pond #31  
Back in the old days in CT my Dad used to clear the snow off the local pond with his 40 Ford PU, used to tow a large door with a metal blade attached. One day after clearing snow, he went for a ride up the pond, on the way back we all heard a big bang and watched a large crack open up behind the truck and follow the truck all the way to shore. Talk about pucker power. that was the last time my Dad plowed snow with his truck

/ Clearing snow from a pond
Well, after the huge snowfall, it was a pain clearing the pond with the snowblower (even at the spot with the least amount of snow, it was over the top of the blower. After 2-3 passes we were done and ready to go. As for all who were talking about ice thickness varies, we had about 6-7"'s in most places, but we had 1 area where a hole actually opened up while we were playing and slowly flooded the rink. None of us were smart enough to stop playing and luckily nothing happened but we were all a little squeemish whenever the puck went over towards the whole. The water was probably about 2" deep near the whole and entirely covered the puck (luckily it never actually fell in the whole). The ice in that area was probably ownly 3". After seeing the discrepancy in ice thickness over s span of only 2 feet, I am pretty certain that I will never taken the big tractor on the ice, as for the garden tractor, if it sinks, I don't mind.

/ Clearing snow from a pond #33  
Before I clicked on your post I thought, OH, OH. He did not take our advice. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I'm sure we are all glad you did not take the big tractor out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Clearing snow from a pond #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> The snowmobilers will hydroplane across the open water </font> )</font>

That practice has just been recently outlawed here in NH. Too many were going to the bottom.

Another thing that is done up here is Ice racing. People put studs in thier tires and race on an oval track plowed out on the ice. Not only would there be the race cars on the lake, but all of the spectator's cars would be out their as well.

Lots of ice racing here as well. It is pretty interesting to see it at night when you have all the cars facing inwards with lights on to light up the course.

/ Clearing snow from a pond #36  
Hey this happened Sunday on about 10" of well traveled ice (plowing the dragstrip). The snowmobilers collected $1500 to help with retrieval fees

All together I suppose he weighs 7500#

Attachments

• 576551-10002911bm.jpg
    576551-10002911bm.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 244
   / Clearing snow from a pond #37  
another

Attachments

• 576552-10002939lh.jpg
    576552-10002939lh.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 227
   / Clearing snow from a pond #38  
last one.. right at the Fair Haven launch
Lake st. Clair

Attachments

• 576553-post-6-1107188116.jpg
    576553-post-6-1107188116.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 242
   / Clearing snow from a pond #39  
Although I probably should relate my stupid youth and snowmobiling experiences... some may see some humor, or learn from it.

Once in northern WI on a trip, I ended up with a pile of metal and fiberglass. On the second to last day I did some open water crossings in front of a resturant/bar that had a stream running by it into the lake. It was only a couple of feet deep, and dozens of people were crossing it every day (for fun?). I did it a bunch of times, no problem... and fun.

The last day of the trip we ended up back there and I wanted to show the rest of the guys how to do it (they weren't there the previous day). As I got up to the open water, I noticed that it was a bit longer than the previous day so I decided to cut across at a different angle. About half way across the water (going 50mph) I saw a 6 inch ice shelf coming up... bad news, the skiies got over it, but it threw the sled and me big time. The sled did a dozen or so flips (some sideways, some nose-tail) shedding parts along the way. I did a couple of flips and cracked my helmet. I ended up sliding on my but, a little stunned, but OK. The sled was actually setting upright and running. A couple of rolls of duct tape and I was able to get home. In the end it was totaled.

I consider myself very lucky... and if we survive our youth, we only keep getting smarter.

- Eric

It was like a parking lot there over the weekend. I saw some cars out much farhter than normal. As for my pond, a friend brought his auger over and it measured 10" at the thinnest of the 5 holes drilled and around 16" at the thickest. Weirdest thing was that one hole had a 4" discrepance from one side of hole to the other and the wholes are only about 10' across. Nice picks of the truck btw, I missed that one!