Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #171  
I like him ok. Not impressed with him compared to some others. Even in the above video he did stuff that I am sure many people do, but is not really safe. Also not a big fan of just watching some guy run his equipment. If it is not showing how-to or a skill, function or whatever of the equipment, I'd rather watch paint dry.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #172  
Mike had a good take on this thread needing more details. If there were details I’d suggest this may be more of a question for Letsdig18 though. That dude has cleared a fair amount of land in the Carolinas.
And the OP hasn't been back. It would have helped to see pictures or know the extent of the woods that need cleared. When my dad had about 15 acres cleared in the 70's, it was 2-3 months work at least with several large dozers and rakes. They pushed all the slash to the bottom of the hill where it rotted pretty fast. We cut firewood out of the larger trees.
Went back on google and measured the areas, it was approx 14.2 acres cleared.

Attachments

• area1-6acres.JPG
    area1-6acres.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 72
  • area2-8.2acres.JPG
    area2-8.2acres.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 71
   / Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #173  
If the OP ever drops in; there are a couple things;
1) Slow, affordable approach: manage expectations; remove the 4-8" stuff by whatever method you have (25-40hp tractor with a loader will work); clear limbs on larger trees up as high as you can get with loader or pole saw to allow sunlight to ground to allow grass to grow; bush hog everything 3" and below; learn to live with anything say 24" and larger; ring out or chainsaw down the 9"-24" stuff; let nature take out the stumps (might need to spray/torch/drill stumps to speed decay/prevent regrowth). Burn everything you can; or dump in low areas, and let it decay. You Might get a few acres per Week (if it's as thick as I picture)

2) Medium speed/medium expense; rent a mid sized hoe (15+ tons) and get to work; once again, leave stuff over 24"; pull/shake/burn all of it you can; but except some piles and just let nature break them down over the years; keep area bushhogged to prevent regrowth.

3) Fastest (still multiple months)/most expensive: hire professionals. It's going to be expensive, and in reality, you're probably going to be discing and raking for months if you want a "clean" field. If you have the equipment, you can do the "finishing" cheaper than them. You're going to need ground men/root pickers;

If there is anything of marketable value; have the loggers take it; but you will have nearly as much clean up as the effort saved; But you might have a few $1k to help moving forwards. You will still have a a lot of raking; rutting; big piles all over that will need burnt/buried/pushed to low areas to rot.

Nothing I mentioned deals with rocks, if that's an issue in your area.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #174  
If the OP ever drops in; there are a couple things;
1) Slow, affordable approach: manage expectations; remove the 4-8" stuff by whatever method you have (25-40hp tractor with a loader will work); clear limbs on larger trees up as high as you can get with loader or pole saw to allow sunlight to ground to allow grass to grow; bush hog everything 3" and below; learn to live with anything say 24" and larger; ring out or chainsaw down the 9"-24" stuff; let nature take out the stumps (might need to spray/torch/drill stumps to speed decay/prevent regrowth). Burn everything you can; or dump in low areas, and let it decay. You Might get a few acres per Week (if it's as thick as I picture)

2) Medium speed/medium expense; rent a mid sized hoe (15+ tons) and get to work; once again, leave stuff over 24"; pull/shake/burn all of it you can; but except some piles and just let nature break them down over the years; keep area bushhogged to prevent regrowth.

3) Fastest (still multiple months)/most expensive: hire professionals. It's going to be expensive, and in reality, you're probably going to be discing and raking for months if you want a "clean" field. If you have the equipment, you can do the "finishing" cheaper than them. You're going to need ground men/root pickers;

If there is anything of marketable value; have the loggers take it; but you will have nearly as much clean up as the effort saved; But you might have a few $1k to help moving forwards. You will still have a a lot of raking; rutting; big piles all over that will need burnt/buried/pushed to low areas to rot.

Nothing I mentioned deals with rocks, if that's an issue in your area.
I think the fastest way to pay for that is to put all of the cleared land into solar panels. They're paying $1,000/acre to lease land for solar around here. That's more than you could make farming it.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #175  
I think the fastest way to pay for that is to put all of the cleared land into solar panels. They're paying $1,000/acre to lease land for solar around here. That's more than you could make farming it.
Is that per Year or per 5 years or what? $1k per acre per year; heck, I'd buy land to just lease it to them...

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #176  
Wow. some hate! I personally am in favor of food. Heck, I eat at least 3 times per day I like it so much. If it makes $$$ sense, go for it.
Think of your gut as the same thing as a forest. They both work the same. The forest feeds the earth. The earth feeds you. All about fungi and bacteria. Everything on earth needs both to survive.

How is the 300 acres gonna be farmed??

Gonna use pesticides, fungicides and herbicides that we know are killing the soil (and us) ?? Prolly better to leave the woodlot if thats the case. Or grow sustainable and organic.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #177  
Is that per Year or per 5 years or what? $1k per acre per year; heck, I'd buy land to just lease it to them...
Per month for 30 years.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #178  
Per month for 30 years.
Wow; that would be well worth it, it a heart beat. Yeah, they might but restrictions on the remaining unleased property (look into cell tower leases); but if I had recently harvested pines or low production cattle ground, I would be on the phone to FPL.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #179  
Per month for 30 years.

Double check that rate - it's usually $1000 per year, per acre and term is usually for 20-30 years. Per acre rate depends on the site and ease of grid access mostly.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #180  
Double check that rate - it's usually $1000 per year, per acre and term is usually for 20-30 years. Per acre rate depends on the site and ease of grid access mostly.
That's still really good return, if you can pick up land for say $4500/acre, near an existing transmission line. I'm sure they only want good, flat, non-wetland property, as the power companies are paranoid about environmental stuff.