Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #61  
Being West Tn the biggest issue I see is the land was never cleared. Land out there that was usable farmland was cleared in the 1800s. Everything else is so wet that it was not worth clearing. I'd make sure and pull a wetlands inventory map up and a soil map. Id bet the ground is low and floods during heavy rain and tied to one of the little rivers/creaks that flow to the Mississippi.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #62  
In Md., you would be 100% wrong. Ponds are to contain water, you’re supposed to pipe it out to watering troughs, etc for use. The natural resources conservation is coming out Tuesday to check our pond fences and take pictures of it.
The USDA guidelines under water quality suggest fencing out livestock, Md is saying you will do it. Hence the suggestion to check before you start.

Tennessee isn’t Maryland but I appreciate the link.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #63  
Tennessee isn’t Maryland but I appreciate the link.
Which is why I didnt post a link for MD.

“Hence the suggestion to check before you start.”

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #64  
My wife and I just bought right at 300 acres in West Tennessee. Half is cleared with row crops planted and the other half is wooded areas.

I’d like to clear the remaining 150 acres of woods, including stumps and roots to eventually plant on it. What is the best way to go about this? I’ve runs tons of tractors and equipment before but I’ve never cleared woods/timber.

Thank you for taking the time to read and offer advice.
Leave the wooded area alone. You don't know what you may cause or damage by clearing a natural wooded area.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #65  
My wife and I just bought right at 300 acres in West Tennessee. Half is cleared with row crops planted and the other half is wooded areas.

I’d like to clear the remaining 150 acres of woods, including stumps and roots to eventually plant on it. What is the best way to go about this? I’ve runs tons of tractors and equipment before but I’ve never cleared woods/timber.

I have to agree with others. Why? Have you asked yourself if there might be a reason previous owners have not cleared this acreage before? Is it suitable for crops? Soil, topography, geology. Before you do anything maybe consult with a state or county agronomist. You should also look at payback time lines. Trees are also a crop but with a longer harvest interval. Talk to a state or county forester. In my state, Iowa, you can put timber in forest reserve and not pay tax on it plus the forester can develop a management plan that can help pay for the prescribed work.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #66  

Depending the tree size, D6 with tree pusher, stick rake & rippers
Anything else is going to take a lot longer.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #67  
Don't! At the most critical time in our battle with our Carbon Footprint, you're thinking of performing a lungectomy on 154 Acres of our best kind of Carbon Sink?

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #68  
Sorry if this sounds rude, but are you serious? You want to destroy 150 acres of natural wooded area? If you need 300 acres of row crops, why didn't you just buy 300 acres of existing farmland? 150 acres is already a huge farm to manage. I don't get to decide whether this is the right and moral thing for you to do, but you asked for opinions, so mine is: please don't do it.

"150 acres is already a huge farm to manage"

Its just the home paddock size, unless your growing vege's or strawberrys of the like.