Cleaning woodstove glass

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
I found a solution for cleaning the glass in the door. Purple Power degreaser. I'm probably in the last group people on the planet that knows this, but the stubborn soot washed off without effort. I have the door off getting ready to reseal the glass and door. Here's my share.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #2  
(y) (y) Purple power is scary effective.

Of course the primary ingredient is lye, so wear protective everything when using it.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #4  
Actually, simply place a wet paper towel into the cooled ash inside fireplace. Than scrub glass. Works instantly every time
Doesn't that scratch the glass? Does the tree species for ash matter? I used to process lots of wood ash (long stories), and there always seemed to be a fair amount of insoluble residuals, aka grit, left over.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #5  
Stove door glass is a special tempered glass that resists scratching. Called mineral glass. I do the ash thing all the tome followed by Windex on a paper towel.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #6  
0000 Steel wool

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #7  
Last edited:
   / Cleaning woodstove glass #8  
I like a clean glass but many don’t care… so I’m always cleaning when renters move out or even when visiting family…

Mostly a little glass cleaner and paper towel…

Occasionally at the rentals I have needed a razor blade and very fine steel or brass wool… probably they burned some kind of plastic is my guess?

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #9  
Doesn't that scratch the glass? Does the tree species for ash matter? I used to process lots of wood ash (long stories), and there always seemed to be a fair amount of insoluble residuals, aka grit, left over.

All the best,

Peter
Ive been doing that for 27 years, glass looks new. I burn mostly fir.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #10  
The ash on a wet paper towel works for me. As long as I clean it every week or two, it's really easy. I've been told by a couple of fireplace installers to not use Windex. They say Sparkle is OK but really recommend the ash or a dedicated stove glass cleaner.