Cleaning spark plugs

/ Cleaning spark plugs #61  
Yeah,
I miss the 'good old days' when tune ups needed to get done every 5,000 or 6,000 miles.
Replacing points completely pitted and spiky, burned up or the cam follower worn to nothing. Spark plugs with the electrode completely rounded down sometimes in underneath the insulator.
Yeah, today with 40,000 mile spark plug changes is nothing like the good old days. They're just money pits we in the industry dip into wherever we feel the need.

So splurge buy a spark plug now and then we need the money.

/ Cleaning spark plugs #62  
Heck why not hemp? Sugar cane?
But yeah, if we're going to use ethanol I like switch grass too.
Anything but a food product like corn.

yep.. leftovers from other processes like hemp or sugar cane. i'd even saw beet pulp.. but that is a feed stock too. better to go with a non feed stock waste product. and one that doesn't need prime growing area.. of which switchgrass fits nicely.

/ Cleaning spark plugs #63  
if you had to repalce points that often with burnt contacts and worn down rubbing block you were likely doing a poor job at maintenance.

there is a specific cam lobe lube you put on the edge of the rubbing block.

keeping the points flean, gapped properly, with proper coil and condensor will lead to LONG breaker contact life.

I have antiques that are going on 15 ys on the same set of points.

too low a gap will cause arcing and buring.

oil or grease will cause burning

bad capacitor will cause arcing and burning

any of the above, and then you FILE or sand off the hard coating to get a few more miles, and the points will now pit and burn faster as you have removed the hard face.. plus.. many 'sand' them, and that leaves microscopic particles on them that furthere encourages pitting and arcing and burning.

Some run 'hot rod' coils that increase primary current and exceed the designed surface contact area current capacity of the breaker... when in reality.. that hot rod coil isn't doing a whole lot unless you change spark gap at the plug.

worn out distribuitor bushings from improper lube or wick lubrication causes eccentric poitns gap and weak spark, missing, and plug fouling, loss of power and fuel economy.

Lastly people will many times opt to buy the cheap 5$ ponts set.. then have to dink with it often and have poor results then complain about it.. vs buying a 18-20$ set and have a decade of life out of them with a recheck each year just to say hi.

poor maintenance skills will yeild poor results.

The overwhelming majority of points issues I have solved for others revolved around : cheap points, bad maintenance habits / skills, damaged/neglected equipment needing repair.

Yeah,
I miss the 'good old days' when tune ups needed to get done every 5,000 or 6,000 miles.
Replacing points completely pitted and spiky, burned up or the cam follower worn to nothing. Spark plugs with the electrode completely rounded down sometimes in underneath the insulator.
Yeah, today with 40,000 mile spark plug changes is nothing like the good old days. They're just money pits we in the industry dip into wherever we feel the need.

So splurge buy a spark plug now and then we need the money.

/ Cleaning spark plugs #64  
Yeah,
And same has been said about why spark plugs don't perform or need to get replaced/cleaned too often.

If you're having a running problem it probably ain't the spark plugs per se.
They just aren't worth the time to mess about with after 'the problem' has been dealt with because cleaned plugs DO NOT COME UP TO SNUFF, they coke up faster, short out faster, take less fuel excess to break them down and they don't burn off by products of combustion as they should.

/ Cleaning spark plugs #65  
especially with todays fuel.

/ Cleaning spark plugs #66  
Just changed Spark Plugs in my Merc using Motocraft Platinum at 100,000 miles. The plugs I pulled out looked great with that Tan brownish color.

/ Cleaning spark plugs #67  
Just changed Spark Plugs in my Merc using Motocraft Platinum at 100,000 miles. The plugs I pulled out looked great with that Tan brownish color.

Thats how are RAV4 was - if someone just showed me the plugs I would have never guessed there was 100K on them. They looked great and like there was a lot of life left, plus I can't say there were any problems just following the replacement schedule.....