Cleaning out a culvert?

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
There is a piece of culvert that runs under the private road. IT's clogged! ;-)

Stone and sand for 34 feet. Not near enough slope, and no catch basin to let hard material fall out (that's fixed now with a a bit of bucket work. Tractor content ;-))

How to clean out the 12 inch culvert?

I'm thinking two lenths of rebar welded together with a "toggle" scraper on the end.

Push in, pull out,,,repeat as needed. handling 40 feet of wispy steel bar sounds like great fun !

There is ZERO access on the uphill side, 3 feet to ledge that rises 10 feet. (Making that catch basin was not easy)

The culvert is stopped completely as of the last rain we had, Digging shovels poked in from the ends confirms sand and rock packed tight. The down hill end has about 7 inches of the 12" diameter filled with road gravel fines.

Any good ideas?

No source of high flow water near by, a 300 foot garden hose hooked to a well/ pump was a waste of time and energy.

I can't imagine what that pipe must weigh if it were dug out....

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #2  
Can you fish a rope thru there to pull a chain or cable thru? Hook it too a tire and start pulling

Brett

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #4  
Professional methods. Maybe some could be adapted to a tractor.

Harr Technolgies Culvert Cleaning Methods - YouTube

Culvert Cleaning - Push Bucket
pushbucket.jpg

Manual tool
http://designall.biz/culvert.html

Bruce

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #5  
That garden hose feeding a small water blaster with a jetting head on it does wonders for blocked culverts. A neighbor of mine made one a couple of pipe fittings that screw onto the water blaster hose four holes drilled in the back more or less pointing backwards and one forward turn the water on and it drags itself into the culvert with quite a force and blasts a hole though

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #6  
Sewer waterjet systems will flush it out. Call your local plumber.

Dave

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #7  
Do you have a pressure washer, you could make a water jet tip, like timbatrader described, remove your handle and install on the hose.

Dave

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #8  
Sewer Jetting Nozzles

Do ya think the #
PP-YDRNT2 Stainless Steel Jetter Nozzle 3650 3.8 4.0 $38.00add to cart

would be any good for anything???

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #9  
I saw your post and posted the above info. I had found................my inlaws have a ~10 acre lake............it has a 36" diameter standpipe that goes 14 feet down vertical then ties into a ~20 inch horizontal pipe that runs about 140 feet through the dam...........and it's clogged and the lake is 4 feet above normal pool.............we rented a 3 gpm 3500 pressure washer with a turbo nozzle and tried using that to fluff out the debris........then we rented a big portable air compressor and used it in combo with 17+ feet of 3/4" schedule 40 blk. iron pipe and pumped water down 15 feet from a 2 inch trash pump necked down to 1 inch...........and after 9 hours we thought really did something............got most of the lighter stuff floated/fluffed out of the vertical standpipe............but there is still stuff down in there...............

/ Cleaning out a culvert? #10  
so has anyone out there reading this ever made a venturi type fitting for a big portable air compressor and trash pump combo.....................now that should wash out a culvert like something else.................