Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Now that I've got your attention, how would you do it?

My mother lives in the house which my paternal grandfather built in 1927. The water supply has always been spring fed into a 10x12 foot concrete enclosure, about 10 feet deep. 40 years ago we cleaned it out and put a foot or so of crushed stone in the bottom. The water comes up through the ledge in 3 places... for decades it supplied two houses and 1/4 acre of greenhouses without any problems.
It's covered by corrugated aluminum on a wood frame. My father always mowed around it, every year he would pump it dry, clean and bleach it. At some point they had an ultraviolet water purifier installed. Then he got sick and passed away, so for 5 years or more it's been largely neglected. She did have the water tested this spring (I think she got tired of hearing me whining about having it done) and it was OK.

Last month I pulled the cover off for the first time since last year and noticed the overflow was plugged so that the water was running over the top rather than through the pipe. I also noticed a couple of dead snakes in the bottom... I unplugged the overflow, told her about the snakes, and cut a swath around it with the weed whacker to discourage wildlife. The next time that I was down I counted 7 snakes in various states of decay. But at least the water level was down where it's supposed to be...

Since then she's been buying her drinking water:)thumbsup:) even though the purifier should be doing it's job.

She talked to the local well drilling company and I hoped they would come out and take a look; but they are busier than a one-armed paper hanger and suggested she call a plumber. I was disappointed, as I would like to see her have a well drilled and be done with it.

My siblings think she should have the cover fixed... the cost of that would go a long ways toward having a new well drilled.

I told her that I can clean it out; but first she needs to have somebody look at it who knows what they're doing, to make suggestions for the long term. I also believe that if we keep the grass mowed away from the well it will discourage wildlife; yet it still should have a better cover. As I just mentioned, the price for doing it right would go a long ways toward having a well drilled.

So- getting back to my original question; how would you go about cleaning vermin remains off the bottom of a spring lined with crushed stone, once you've pumped the well dry?
(That last part I can accomplish, with my 5 HP Honda powered semi-trash pump. :thumbsup:)

Cliff Notes will be available later, for those of you who don't want to read this entire post. :laughing:

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well #2  
I'd call 'Anything for a Buck'

Larry-Darryl1.jpg

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well #3  

My mother lives in the house which my paternal grandfather built in 1927. The water supply has always been spring fed into a 10x12 foot concrete enclosure, about 10 feet deep. 40 years ago we cleaned it out and put a foot or so of crushed stone in the bottom. The water comes up through the ledge in 3 places... for decades it supplied two houses and 1/4 acre of greenhouses without any problems.
It's covered by corrugated aluminum on a wood frame. My father always mowed around it, every year he would pump it dry, clean and bleach it. At some point they had an ultraviolet water purifier installed. Then he got sick and passed away, so for 5 years or more it's been largely neglected. She did have the water tested this spring (I think she got tired of hearing me whining about having it done) and it was OK.

Last month I pulled the cover off for the first time since last year and noticed the overflow was plugged so that the water was running over the top rather than through the pipe. I also noticed a couple of dead snakes in the bottom... I unplugged the overflow, told her about the snakes, and cut a swath around it with the weed whacker to discourage wildlife. The next time that I was down I counted 7 snakes in various states of decay. But at least the water level was down where it's supposed to be...

Since then she's been buying her drinking water:)thumbsup:) even though the purifier should be doing it's job.

She talked to the local well drilling company and I hoped they would come out and take a look; but they are busier than a one-armed paper hanger and suggested she call a plumber. I was disappointed, as I would like to see her have a well drilled and be done with it.

My siblings think she should have the cover fixed... the cost of that would go a long ways toward having a new well drilled.

I told her that I can clean it out; but first she needs to have somebody look at it who knows what they're doing, to make suggestions for the long term. I also believe that if we keep the grass mowed away from the well it will discourage wildlife; yet it still should have a better cover. As I just mentioned, the price for doing it right would go a long ways toward having a well drilled.

So- getting back to my original question; how would you go about cleaning vermin remains off the bottom of a spring lined with crushed stone, once you've pumped the well dry?
(That last part I can accomplish, with my 5 HP Honda powered semi-trash pump. :thumbsup:)

Cliff Notes will be available later, for those of you who don't want to read this entire post. :laughing:

I am a STRONG opponent of "dug wells"!
Sure, it would appear to be "spring fed", but often that "spring" water was surface water somewhere uphill, where it may contain dead snakes, raccoons, skunks etc.
"Dug wells" are a throwback to the 1800's.
We can do much better/safer in 2020.

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well
I am a STRONG opponent of "dug wells"!
Sure, it would appear to be "spring fed", but often that "spring" water was surface water somewhere uphill, where it may contain dead snakes, raccoons, skunks etc.
"Dug wells" are a throwback to the 1800's.
We can do much better/safer in 2020.

I agree 110%... yet she is frugal and won't spend money unless she needs to. That's why I said that I would do the work but she needs to have a pro look at it first. She also tends to listen to my older siblings first and they advocate fixing what she has so...

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well #5  
FWIW...I have been told that humans can not get sick from cold blooded animals...as disgusting as it may be or seem...
Around here many folks use "surface" water (i.e., springs)...it is impossible to keep ultra tiny salamanders etc. from getting into holding and settling tanks...they get in when they are very small and then grow...they are often found dead with no ill effects...

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well #7  
FWIW...I have been told that humans can not get sick from cold blooded animals...as disgusting as it may be or seem...
Around here many folks use "surface" water (i.e., springs)...it is impossible to keep ultra tiny salamanders etc. from getting into holding and settling tanks...they get in when they are very small and then grow...they are often found dead with no ill effects...

I’ll remember that the next time I get seafood poisoning!

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well #8  
Well - I just guess I'm in the minority here. My water supply is a 26 foot deep spring. It was originally developed and used by the homesteader in 1892. It flows at a tad over 150 gpm. In 1982 we moved down from Alaska and I had my contractor dig out and improve this spring. It's now four foot diameter precast concrete rings - stacked one atop the other. The bottom one is perforated. The top ring pinches in and has a heavy duty three foot diameter lid. The spring water comes in from one side and exits thru the opposite side. The bottom is heavy cobble and gravel. Water depth is eleven feet.

Anyhow - it's a fantastic supply of fresh, clean water. In all my years here - 39+ - I've had one snake in the spring. It was a floater and easily removed.

Something is attracting all those snakes. Perhaps mice, voles, shrews - etc.

Whatever. For everybody's piece of mind. Fill in the spring and have a new well drilled.

Otherwise - a gallon of Clorox mixed into five gallons of water. Pour it over the gravel. Let it sit for at least 24 hours. Let the water rise and pump until chlorine can no longer be detected( by smell ).

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well #9  

Maybe this will help?

https://www.pristinewatersystems.co...nd-theyre-coming-for-the-water-in-your-tanks/

/ Cleaning dead snakes out of a dug well #10  
People that use water such as from farm ponds almost always do it as necessity because wells aren't an option. If done correctly they use purification and filter systems that must be constantly maintained. Easiest, less maintenance and least cost long term would be installing a sanitary well. This being an open system needs some type of filter.

The image of the sparkling spring delivering cool clean pollution free water is from advertisements. All bottled spring water is filtered and purified by some means. If your thinking of keeping the system get an in-depth analysis of what's in the water to determine treatment needed. Do not get a low level cheap test. Get the details of the test already performed and see if it meets health standards.

Last edited: