Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade

/ Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hi All,

How would you clean a 10" 80 tooth carbide tipped saw blade? I've been cutting a lot of willows around a pond and the blade is really gummed up. I was going to try wd40 first. I also have gasoline, brake fluid, and several other chemicals to choose from.

Kevin

/ Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade #2  
What kind of blade is it? It might be better off to just toss it. Would a pressure washer work? I’ve had good luck cleaning my wood working blades by soaking simple green in the past. I’d also recommend a way fewer tooth blade for that job.

/ Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade #3  
WD-40, wrap in plastic and let sit for a while.

Also spray blade with the WD-40 and then cut some nice clean wood.

/ Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade #4  
I would think mineral spirits or gasoline would work best IMO,
(bit recommending gasoline is a NO NO, as it can flash so easily, also it can cause reactions to some persons, and is considered toxic),

/ Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade
Couldn't tell you the brand. That many teeth/inch seems pretty standard for clearing saw blades. I just want to know the best chemical to cut tree sap. Alcohol would work but I think people use it because it's less likely to damage the object being cleaned. In this case, there's no risk of damaging the blade with most chemicals.

Kevin

/ Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade #6  
I think you’d be better off with a long soak in a solution that doesn’t evaporate fast like brake cleaner and alcohol. I recommend trying a chainsaw cutter blade. It’s the meanest thing I’ve ever had on a weed wacker. IMG_6930.JPG

/ Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade
I use oven cleaner. It works great.

Great advice HCJtractor! The oven cleaner worked like a charm. The blade had been soaking in diesel fuel for over 24 hours and the tree sap/resin hadn't softened a bit. I sprayed oven cleaner on both sides of the blade and propped it up with a screwdriver. After one hour the sap/resin wiped right off. THANKS A LOT!

Kevin

/ Cleaning Carbide Tipped Saw Blade #10  
CMT pitch cleaner made sepecifically for cleaning carbide tooth blades. Their are a few other brands any wood working supply house carries. If you use to aggressive cleaner it will remove blade coating like on Cmt or diablo blades more than just removing pitch. Great for router and drill bits to.:drink: