CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #32  
The dealer is full of BS. 8 hours of run time to "check it out'? That is a full day of operation. Mine arrived new with about 2 hours. The dealer has no reason to dyno a new tractor... The more they mess with it, the more opportunities they have to damage it before sale.

I would worry about it being a demo model driven in 4 wheel drive on Pavement in circles by a previous inexperienced "prospective" buyer when the dealer was not watching, and sold as new
My guess would be that the prop shaft to the front diff has a U-joint cross that's lost a cap and the cross is flopping around within the 2 yokes.
Don't be cross, but the yoke is on you...

Seriously doubt that , especially since the 494 is built like many CUTs that don't utilize u joints in the driveline just splined couplers like on page 172 It could be a stripped coupler but could also be a problem in the front axle 3rd member.
Maybe get lucky and a circlip was not seated and the coupler slid off the splines.
They sure have miniaturized the size of the pinion and ring gear sizes on these really new CUTs.

Have to agree with the posters that recommend escalating this above a dealer to an area rep. The selling dealer sounds hopeless.

Last edited:
   / CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #33  
Sounds to me like you are screwed.
I am afraid you have your cucumber stuck in your ear if that is what it sounds like to you. It has been one business day. :rolleyes:

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #34  
I will say that I work part time for my Kubota dealer, delivering new tractors of all sizes and side by sides as well and my dealer (who I have been dealing with for 20 years now), NEVER puts any tactor on his dyno unless it is getting an engine repair. Never. And the one thing I always do when making a delivery is, I hand the new owner his paperwork and his operators manual and I tell them to read it prior to even starting the unit and get familiar with what the operators manual says. I make doubly sure the correct owners manual along with all the required paperwork goes with the correct unit and I hand that to the new owner as well as have him or her sign off on the delivery receipt.

Additionally, none of the units I deliver is in FWA when delivered. Always in RWD.

Still think the OP is getting screwed.

Far as my cucumber goes, it's not in my ear and never has been.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck
thanks for the parts catalog...that helps. driving circles in 4wd on pavement...plausible. So the dealer is in IA and we are in SD...anyone know the RSM for this area?

Thank you guys!

More info....service manager called after hours tonight. He did try to call TYM this morning, but no one answered. He left a message, no one returned his call.

Clearly TYM is not what we thought it was here in the US when they don't even answer their phones.

Last edited:
   / CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck
Probably should reach out to our attorney and see if we have grounds to ask for our money back as suggested earlier in the thread.

We bought the tractor on July 11, but it was not delivered until Aug 26...yeah, they were pretty slow. Took 6 weeks for TYM to get around to shipping the 3rd function kit.

Speaking of TYM...guys, I'm sorry but lets get real...they build really cheap stuff.

Here is the list of other issues this POS has with only 13 hours. 1. The seat tension knob is completely worthless. Cranked all the way up to max, when you sit on the seat you go to the floor, and I only weigh 200lb. At hour 8, it held me a little bit...now, 5 hours later, nothing. 2. The cab lights are not mounted level, they are all skewed. 3. The electronic displays shows half the info in English and half in metric. 4. The light "pod" in the console is so loose it is about to fall out of the console. You don't dare try to use it to turn on any lights for fear it will fall out...and there is no way to tighten it without ripping the entire console apart.

And now for the icing on the cake that I haven't even mentioned. The first time they tried to deliver it, the left door BLEW OFF on the interstate and went flying down the highway, totally disintegrating on impact. Very lucky no one was injured. Yes they had the door locked (found the still locked handle on the road) but my goodness....a tractor that loses a LOCKED door going down the highway?

If it wasn't so sad to have a $40,000 paperweight sitting in the barn I would actually be laughing about this tractor. It's like some toddlers put it together or something. It has to be some kind of sick joke.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #37  
Probably should reach out to our attorney and see if we have grounds to ask for our money back as suggested earlier in the thread.

We bought the tractor on July 11, but it was not delivered until Aug 26...yeah, they were pretty slow. Took 6 weeks for TYM to get around to shipping the 3rd function kit.

Speaking of TYM...guys, I'm sorry but lets get real...they build really cheap stuff.

Here is the list of other issues this POS has with only 13 hours. 1. The seat tension knob is completely worthless. Cranked all the way up to max, when you sit on the seat you go to the floor, and I only weigh 200lb. At hour 8, it held me a little bit...now, 5 hours later, nothing. 2. The cab lights are not mounted level, they are all skewed. 3. The electronic displays shows half the info in English and half in metric. 4. The light "pod" in the console is so loose it is about to fall out of the console. You don't dare try to use it to turn on any lights for fear it will fall out...and there is no way to tighten it without ripping the entire console apart.

And now for the icing on the cake that I haven't even mentioned. The first time they tried to deliver it, the left door BLEW OFF on the interstate and went flying down the highway, totally disintegrating on impact. Very lucky no one was injured. Yes they had the door locked (found the still locked handle on the road) but my goodness....a tractor that loses a LOCKED door going down the highway?

If it wasn't so sad to have a $40,000 paperweight sitting in the barn I would actually be laughing about this tractor. It's like some toddlers put it together or something. It has to be some kind of sick joke.
I would not involve an attorney at this point. You definitely should ask for money back or maybe ask if you can swap for the 4820C since you liked your Branson. The dealer might be willing to help do that. Everything you mentioned is under warranty and they should be willing to work with you.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #38  
You know you have to get it to a dealership, so hire someone and get it back to the dealer you bought it from.

Tell them you want your money back because they gave you a model that was not brand new. If they object to that then you get corporate involved.

Actually, they will have to call corporate to authorize but that is their problem.

As for TYM being junk, every tractor maker cranks out a lemon 🍋 on occasion, every one.

Plenty of very satisfied TYM guys. Buying a tractor 5 hours away, advise not doing that again unless used.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #39  
Getting 8 or 9 hours on the hour meter when delivering a new machine is nothing out of the ordinary. These things gets moved a lot all the way from the factory over to the dealer, and then the dealer has move it around for various reasons, from test driving to delivery inspections, etc.

And this being a cabbed tractor, it gets driven to the shipping containers using small diameter steel wheels versus being shipped in a crate like the ROPS tractors do.

I failed to take a picture of the dash when delivering but mine had like 10? hours or thereabouts.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #40  
10 hours would be no issue for me unless I had issues that made me wonder what happened the first 10.