Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing?

/ Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #11  
I gave up on that clamp on hitch for the reasons you mention. It also caused a sag in the bucket edge from picking up heavy trailers.

Since I have a SSQA FEL, I picked up one of these adapters:

In the length of time I spend fooling around with the clamp on, I can drop the bucket and put on the adapter.

It will also lift a heavier trailer tongue since the lift is closer to the FEL pivot point. It's also useful for attaching 3pt implements to the FEL.

/ Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #12  
I welded a ball mount receiver on the reinforced top of the bucket and then made a special ball mount to handle a trailer with the bucket tipped forward. I also welded a grab hook to a 2x2 tube to fit the same receiver. Most of the time the hook lives in the receiver, but I can swap in the ball mount to move a trailer when needed. I also made up another receiver tube fastened to the grill guard to store the ball or hook mount not being used (no picture of that).

Attachments

• Loader Hitch Ball 2020-07-16.JPG
    Loader Hitch Ball 2020-07-16.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 111
  • Loader Hook 2020-07-16.JPG
    Loader Hook 2020-07-16.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 104
   / Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #13  
I would be more in favor of bolt on as in post #2.... Or as some others state 3PH style receiver on rear...

/ Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #15  
Root Cause, that's a great solution: cheap, simple, and uses the hardware he's already got. And he doesn't have to remove his backhoe.

/ Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #16  
I have a clamp on receiver that I'd like to use to move my cargo trailer and 2 horse trailer. It hasn't gone well when I've used it. No matter how tight I clamp it, it promptly slides around in use. What could I be missing? There is literally just one screw clamp and I would have thought it was idiot proof. Apparently it isn't and it's making an idiot out of me. Anyone have a suggestion? I feel like I'm missing something obvious. It is very tight prior to use. I can't move it by hand. Horse trailer is super light Brenderup 2 horse. Haven't even tried the tandem axle cargo trailer.
I had a similar clamp on receiver on M59 bucket and nearly lost a light duty trailer over a bank when the clamp on receiver rotated. It is impossible to keep the clamp on receiver from pivoting when putting a side load (pivoting the trailer ) on the hitch. I also made the mistake of lowering the bucket under power and seriously bent the 1" thick steel plate ( not tube ) that the screw is threaded through

I suggest you investigate a quick attach receiver. I move trailers, including 4000+ Lb 26 foot flat bed, using the CL Fab receiver with complete confidence.

Attachments

• CL Receiver.png
    CL Receiver.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
   / Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #17  
I also found the same answer that Root Cause came up with. I cut some scrap 2x3's to wedge between the hitch and the sides of my bucket. Problem solved no more hitch rotating when moving my 16' dual axle trailer, even loaded with slash which is what I mostly use it for.

/ Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #18  
Seems like this is just par-for-the-course with these convenience mounts. The trailers in the OP seem quite heavy for this type of mount. I have one (titan..) and only want to move a utility trailer (sometimes with a ton of material..) and a 15' runabout and my mount usually moves underway, unless I go real slow, particularly in angled approaches.

I am going to weld a couple of rebar loops on either side of the mount and strap or chain it to the hooks on top of the bucket, or around to the bucket mounts to stabilize any side-to-side movement.

My trailers are 500-1000 lb, pretty light in the tongue, and they push this mount around so anything larger and I'd go for a receiver welded to the top of the bucket.

/ Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #19  
I have a clamp on receiver that I'd like to use to move my cargo trailer and 2 horse trailer. It hasn't gone well when I've used it. No matter how tight I clamp it, it promptly slides around in use. What could I be missing? There is literally just one screw clamp and I would have thought it was idiot proof. Apparently it isn't and it's making an idiot out of me. Anyone have a suggestion? I feel like I'm missing something obvious. It is very tight prior to use. I can't move it by hand. Horse trailer is super light Brenderup 2 horse. Haven't even tried the tandem axle cargo trailer.
Have never liked the loader movers. Get a trailer mover for the 3ph
Yeah, I worry about putting stress on the loader arms and the bucket that they aren't designed for. I'll move a utility trailer with the bucket but anything heavy I use the 3 point hitch or the pickup truck.

/ Clamp on hitch receiver, whatam I missing? #20  
IF you don't NEED to move it side to side, i.e. you always mount it in the same place on the bucket, I would just weld a few little doodads into the bottom of your bucket to 'capture' the large 'setscrew pad'. So, put it where you want it on the bucket, weld some little pieces of scrap on the sides and front of where that pad is clamping the bucket, and it should prevent it from being able to move side to side much (because it will go into a bind when the front tries to slide and the back is unable to) without changing anything else about your bucket function. I would use scrap lug nuts with the cone side up so that it would sort of 'feed' the pad down into the pocket if i wasn't lined up perfect, but i do have about a 30lb drawer of lug nuts in my shop full of junk. 😂 Any little bits of metal will work, really. DOES require a welder, although if you didn't mind having stuff hanging off the bottom of the bucket you could also drill holes there and just install nuts/bolts in the holes and just grind off any excess height on either side of the assembly.