CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog??

/ CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog?? #1  

Quaker Guy

Tractor
Kioti CK 4010 HST SE w/ Loader
I am considering a BH 216 6" brush cutter, over a 5' unit. My tractor has 32 PTO HP and the 6' BH has a minimum PTO rating of 30 HP. Am I going to be too close to this limit to make the most use of he larger BH? A 5' BH only neeeds a mon of 25 PTO HP.
I like the wider width to make more efficient use when cutting, but if I have to go slower to cut with the 6', I am not really being more efficient.

Mostly cutting tall grass, that can be pretty thick. No tree clearing.

I have only used a 5' cutter a friend loaned me and it worked great. No other gauge to mease by.

Any thought or experience w/ a 4010 and BH cutter?

/ CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog?? #2  
If you maintain the mower blades sharp and are mowing only dry grass, you will be fine.

If you mow damp grass or brush, five more horsepower is appropriate. Brush flayed with slightly dulled blades usually dies. Brush cut with sharp blades often regenerates.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog??
Thanks. I may back down to th 5' cutter, just to have some more HP margin. I hate to crawl along when mowing.

/ CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog?? #4  
I think you would have better luck with the 5 footer

/ CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog?? #5  
With your tractor, I would get the 6 footer without hesitation. You can always just cut 5 foot after the first pass. But you can NEVER cut 6 foot with a 5 footer. ;)

/ CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog?? #6  
Thanks. I may back down to th 5' cutter, just to have some more HP margin. I hate to crawl along when mowing.
I have a 5' and ~32pto hp I would go 6', 6.5', even 7' if my trails were wide enough if I bought again. I don't think I've ever really bogged the tractor with grass, it just quits cutting nice if I go too fast, and only some sections of trail allow me to go much faster anyways. With the hst you can always slow down a bit for heavy patch and then speed up for the light stuff, or take a narrower bite.

/ CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog?? #7  
I run a 6' King Kutter brush mower on my DK 35 with no problem

/ CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog?? #8  
I would definitely get the 6'. I run a 7' farm king rough cut on my NX4510 with 34 pto hp without any issues. Like others have said, you can always just cut 5' at a time if thick, or go slower. I really like the extra width when I am mowing larger areas.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / CK4010, w/ 6' Bush Hog?? #9  
Height and thickness isn't quite as important as TYPE of grass. I've run into some really nasty stuff that's like steel wool; such stuff you'd get nowhere with. I mowed down 9' high, thick grass (Reed Canary grass) with my B7800 and a 5' RC. 100% that you can run a 6' RC. The only debatable is whether you can mow fast enough to meet your time requirements. For me I have all different types of mowing conditions: I mostly mow now with my Kioti and a 7' flail; some areas I have to go slower and some I can run fairly quick- no uniformity.