CK35HST trans operation

/ CK35HST trans operation #1  

gtrippleb

Gold Member
Tractor
NH T2320 TL
Would someone be able to inform me on how the hydrastatic trans works on a ck35hst? I test drove one the other day and I had to press a clutch in before moving the lever to the range I wanted. I thought to myself, why would I need to push a clutch in to put a hydrostatic transmission into range as I don't do this on my lawnmower, sc2400, or my t2320. I didn't have time to talk with the salesman as I was on my lunch break so I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / CK35HST trans operation #2  
Would someone be able to inform me on how the hydrastatic trans works on a ck35hst? I test drove one the other day and I had to press a clutch in before moving the lever to the range I wanted. I thought to myself, why would I need to push a clutch in to put a hydrostatic transmission into range as I don't do this on my lawnmower, sc2400, or my t2320. I didn't have time to talk with the salesman as I was on my lunch break so I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Keep in mind that the range selector is just a 3 speed gear transmission after the hydro-static transmission in the driveline. Sometime gears do not always align tooth to tooth. Sometimes a small amount of movement of the input shaft and gears on it can make the alignment "line up". you can just gently touch the hydro pedal just a smidgen to sometime get this to align.

You don't actually have to push the clutch in. At least you don't on most units. But you need to be stopped, but sometimes letting the tractor "drift" just a tiny amount will allow the range selector to mesh the gears and get in the range you desire. Keep in mind that as the gears wear just a bit, their edges will be a little less sharp, and changing ranges will get a little "slicker".

On my last tractor which although it was a Kubota L3400hst, is similar to the Ck35, I used to always push the clutch in to change ranges, until I realized it was not necessary. On my current Kioti tractor a DK35se, there is no clutch to push in. It simply doesn't have one. But you still need to be stopped or sometimes you have to drift just a bit to get it to mesh. Usually you don't, and rarely now that is has some hours on it.

/ CK35HST trans operation
James,

Thanks for the information. I really didn't think about how the three ranges were tied into the transmission. Both of my tractors are two ranges with the T2320 having a neutral between one and two and the Sc2400 just has high and low without a neutral position with neither having a clutch. On the T2320 sometimes I have to play with the forward or reverse pedals to get it to change from a range to neutral.

I just started looking for something around 35hp and was looking at the ck35hst so I thought I would ask about the transmission and why it had a clutch.

/ CK35HST trans operation #4  
The reason for clutches on some Hydro tractors is mostly to engage the PTO. Of course many have safety start switches tied to the clutch pedal also. Also the hydro needs to be in either neutral or a clutch pushed in to disengage they hydro pump to take that load off of the starter spinning up the engine. But you have to and have a way to engage the PTO. Some do it with electrical activated hydraulic valving, and others do it with a clutch.

/ CK35HST trans operation #5  
Keep in mind that the range selector is just a 3 speed gear transmission after the hydro-static transmission in the driveline. Sometime gears do not always align tooth to tooth. Sometimes a small amount of movement of the input shaft and gears on it can make the alignment "line up". you can just gently touch the hydro pedal just a smidgen to sometime get this to align.

You don't actually have to push the clutch in. At least you don't on most units. But you need to be stopped, but sometimes letting the tractor "drift" just a tiny amount will allow the range selector to mesh the gears and get in the range you desire. Keep in mind that as the gears wear just a bit, their edges will be a little less sharp, and changing ranges will get a little "slicker".

On my last tractor which although it was a Kubota L3400hst, is similar to the Ck35, I used to always push the clutch in to change ranges, until I realized it was not necessary. On my current Kioti tractor a DK35se, there is no clutch to push in. It simply doesn't have one. But you still need to be stopped or sometimes you have to drift just a bit to get it to mesh. Usually you don't, and rarely now that is has some hours on it.

k0ua, I think you may be incorrect here. One of the few things the manual states clearly is that the clutch must be pressed in to shift ranges. I once forgot to clutch and tried to shift, and the grinding noise that ensued immediately reminded me that shifting is necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if the manual was incorrect on this point, but it seems that pushing the clutch is necessary on the CK series. Maybe someone with more hours on their CK could clarify here.

/ CK35HST trans operation #6  

k0ua, I think you may be incorrect here. One of the few things the manual states clearly is that the clutch must be pressed in to shift ranges. I once forgot to clutch and tried to shift, and the grinding noise that ensued immediately reminded me that shifting is necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if the manual was incorrect on this point, but it seems that pushing the clutch is necessary on the CK series. Maybe someone with more hours on their CK could clarify here.

/ CK35HST trans operation #7  

Well that is possible. I was going by my previous HST tractor with a clutch, which was a Kubota. You do not have to clutch with it. It does no harm, but you can change ranges without clutching as long as the hydro pedal is centered and the tractor is not moving. Again you may have to let the tractor "drift" or roll slightly to get the gears to mesh. I have no experience with the CK series, but assumed it would work as the previous Kubota. As my DK does not have a clutch, and you can change ranges as I noted above.

/ CK35HST trans operation #8  
Too bad they weren't all like the SC2450.
Hit the pile in high, no problem just grab the hi/low select lever and pull it in low as you approach the heavy stuff, that easy.

I guess Yanmar had a great idea there.

I have only used the SC2450 and found the HST to be a great tool when moving stone, snow or dirt.
I am thinking on another tractor, I will have to make sure to ask about the HST/Clutch thing before buying for sure.

/ CK35HST trans operation #9  
Kubota has their HST+ on the Grand L models, that is the cats meow. with their hi/lo in the same range you can usually stay in MED range , for most loader work, and shift on the fly with their hi/lo lever and get the "grunt" you need for pushing and still have the speed you need for transport without ever changing ranges. In effect you have 6 ranges, 3 actual gear ranges but multiplied by the hi/lo in each range. This of course is not available in their "standard" hydro tractors, but is on their "deluxe" tractors the Grand L series. HST+ has many other features as well.

/ CK35HST trans operation #10  
Kubota has their HST+ on the Grand L models, that is the cats meow. with their hi/lo in the same range you can usually stay in MED range , for most loader work, and shift on the fly with their hi/lo lever and get the "grunt" you need for pushing and still have the speed you need for transport without ever changing ranges. In effect you have 6 ranges, 3 actual gear ranges but multiplied by the hi/lo in each range. This of course is not available in their "standard" hydro tractors, but is on their "deluxe" tractors the Grand L series. HST+ has many other features as well.

Yes, The GL60 series has, in my opinion, the best hydrostatic transmission on the market. The HI/LO lever by itself makes it that, everything else is extra. If it wasn't for the price, the GL3560 would have made me a Kubota guy. Now, if only Kioti would actually steal Kubota's HST+ and put it in a DK...