Oil & Fuel CK30 fuel gauge repaired

/ CK30 fuel gauge repaired #1  

VictorW

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
A while back, some members mentioned that their fuel gauges on their CK's were malfunctioning. I was glad mine worked but that lasted for about the first ten hours. Mine would read full after filling the tank but after a hour or so, it would read anywhere from full to empty and never the same thing twice. I know it's not a major function but I wanted it to work.
I pulled the sending unit out and checked resistance like the manual states. The readings were correct at empty (103-117) and full (1-5). Checked all the grounds - OK. The top of the plastic fuel tank where the sending unit mounts is angled so after some measuring, figured the float arm was riding the side of the tank and getting stuck. Corrected that and put it all back together. A few more hours on the tractor and the same thing. I removed the sending unit out again and retested. While the full and empty resistance readings were correct, they would jump all over the place while moving the float arm through its travel. Why didn't I check that before. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The dealer ordered me a new sending unit and I checked it before installing. It measured perfect and would gradually change through its travel from full to empty and back. At last a fuctioning fuel gauge.
The dealer didn't want the old one back so I removed a cover to check the resistor coil inside. This gauge is definately no high tech design. The only problem was the moving contact arm that slides across the resistor coil didn't have enough pressure to stay in good contact for accurate readings. With a little adjusting, It now works fine.
Kioti's design could be a little better. If you see how it's made, just a little off on the manufacturing specs. and it won't work well. I hope this will help anyone else that might have the same problem. I'd post some pictures of the unit but no digital camera. I'm hoping Santa will remember. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ CK30 fuel gauge repaired #2  
The fuel guage has bothered me, too. Both CK30s I have had
read FULL until almost completely empty. I took one apart and it seemed to work OK thru its range on the bench. I suspected maybe a new unit needed exercise thru its range and being immersed in Diesel for a while. No real improvement, however, and I am too lazy to take it out again.

/ CK30 fuel gauge repaired #3  
Yea, mine too. Kinda pain in the .... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I try to remember how long I've run and usually add about 4 gallons at a time.

David

/ CK30 fuel gauge repaired #4  
Sounds like this is a common issue. One would think that maybe Kioti should address this. Was the sending unit very expensive? I wonder if anybody else has this same concern with the fuel gauge?

/ CK30 fuel gauge repaired #5  
Keep in mind guys you have a 3 year warranty on it, it should only cost you your time.

/ CK30 fuel gauge repaired
David; I usually would go one hour for each gallon of fuel to be on the safe side. I didn't want to run out and have to bleed the air along with having down time.
Donny; I have no idea on the price. The sending unit was warranty with my CK30 being 8 months old. I do the warranty stuff on my own. It's not worth trailering the tractor. I just tell the dealer what is wrong and what I did to check or fix it. Besides, I like to work on things and I learn about the tractor. He agreed with my diagnosis and ordered the part for me.
As Wallace said; With a three year warranty it should only cost you your time if you have some to spare.

Update on fuel gauge sending unit. After checking the new sending unit, which worked perfect, I thought the gauge problems were over. I put almost four hours on a full tank of fuel and the gauge still said full. It took three gallons of fuel to top off the tank which is just over a third of a tank. Took the sending unit out again and it still had the proper resistance readings. Come to figure out the bend in the float arm was wrong and it wouldn't let the float drop until at least a third tank was gone. A little more measuring and bending the float arm and now the gauge reads correct. I'll have to see how it reads as I get to near an empty tank.

I hopes this helps anyone else that is having a problem with their fuel gauge if they want to tackle it themselves.

/ CK30 fuel gauge repaired #8  
Victor, I've been using the reading of my fuel gauge only as a guide, on how much fuel I could still have in the tank, in other words I don't rely on it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but seriously I understand your frustration,for myself this as not been an issue, the gas station down our street, so I fuel every 5 to 6 hrs of use...cag

/ CK30 fuel gauge repaired #9  
Hey, VictorW, do you have any specifics about how you
bent the float arms? I may pull mine out again......

I don't have exact measurements because it was more a trial and error thing. I kept on adjusting/bending until the float didn't ride the side of the tank and I got what I thought was the proper reading of the dash gauge. It turned out this way.

The small box section is connected to the top mounting plate at a small angle. Holding the unit upright with the arm moving away or towards you, the last long section of the float arm is parallel to the box section and not perpendicular to the mounting plate when the arm is hanging down. This corrected it hitting the side of the tank.

Lay the unit on it's side and with the float arm in the full position, the last long section was parallel to the mounting plate. This let the float move down sooner from a full tank of fuel. With three gallons gone from full tank, the dash gauge reads 3/4. Ideally it should read @ 2/3 but I figured I'd give it a try there and see how it reads as more fuel is used.

If you can, don't forget to check the resistance readings. My original unit had the readings bouncing all over the place at different float positions. The new unit gradually changed between the high and low specs.

I know that this is a minor thing and the rest of the tractor has been great with 90 hours so far. I just like things to work right and don't mind tinkering if I can get it right. I hope this helps. I'd post a picture but Santa forgot the digital camera on my list. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif