Chains CK2610HST R4 chain clearance

/ CK2610HST R4 chain clearance #1  

toukow

Silver Member
Tractor
2019 Kioti CK2610HST, Ford 1700 (Gone)
I went and saw my new tractor yesterday, now waiting for the options to be installed. Being new to specifying tractor tires and the associated impacts, I was surprised at how much higher the first step was now that I'd asked for R1's. So I started reconsidering my decision, and the dealer said it was fine if I wanted to change to R4's. As I stated in other threads, I'm buying this tractor to take me into geezerdom and my last tractor purchased, so I'm getting all the bells and whistles.

My knees continue to go south, so the step height is more important to me than most, and will assuredly get worse. So I started measuring the impact of R1's to the step height and operator's deck, and those numbers are in the diagram attached. I found that the 3510SE model (on left in photo with R4's and right is 2610 with R1's) uses a different step than the 2610 base model, and the 3510 step is a better fit for me, given it drops down further from the operators deck. Dealer says a $100 to get the 3510 version installed on mine.

I've reviewed the countless threads on chains and I'm buying them regardless of tire choice. I have a shared asphalt driveway, and looking at tirechains.com resources, it appears the best choice is 2 link ladder, or rubber style, if I want to keep the neighbor from complaining (and they will, without a doubt) if it get's marked up.

I infer chain fit is a function of tire type, chain type, and is tractor model specific. I saw comments of fit on R1 tires with chains for the 3510, and 3510 with R4's but chain type not stated.

Question: I measured the tire clearance on the 2610 with R4, unfilled, air pressure unknown at 1 5/8" clearance (R1's were 2 1/2") to the fender on the side. Is that adequate to run ladder type chains? I did not see a 'rule of thumb' for clearance stated anywhere.

Thanks, Toukow

Attachments

• R4 vs R1 3510 SE left side 2610 right.jpg
    R4 vs R1 3510 SE left side 2610 right.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 297
  • Step height Diagram CK2610.jpg
    Step height Diagram CK2610.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 184
   / CK2610HST R4 chain clearance #2  
I have an older CK30hst, so I can't comment on the new style tractors. As far as chains and tires, I run the 2 link ladder chains on R4s with no problems. If you go R1 tires, you'll want the duo-grip (H-pattern) style. My previous tractor had R1s and ladder style chains got lost in the tread. I had to switch to the duo-grip style. The duo-grip would work well on R4 tires also. Both will mark up an asphalt or cement driveway if you spin a tire. No way around that.

/ CK2610HST R4 chain clearance #3  
I've reviewed the countless threads on chains and I'm buying them regardless of tire choice. I have a shared asphalt driveway, and looking at tirechains.com resources, it appears the best choice is 2 link ladder, or rubber style, if I want to keep the neighbor from complaining (and they will, without a doubt) if it get's marked up.

I infer chain fit is a function of tire type, chain type, and is tractor model specific. I saw comments of fit on R1 tires with chains for the 3510, and 3510 with R4's but chain type not stated.

Question: I measured the tire clearance on the 2610 with R4, unfilled, air pressure unknown at 1 5/8" clearance (R1's were 2 1/2") to the fender on the side. Is that adequate to run ladder type chains? I did not see a 'rule of thumb' for clearance stated anywhere.

Thanks, Toukow

To me the 1 5/8" clearance is completely inadequate the 2 1/2" would be the minimal acceptable for chain clearances.

The main reason for chains to mark up a driveway are spinning the tires.
In my experience you will definitely NOT want the duo-grip chains especially on pavement,
every time that grip point hits the ground will be the same as hitting a pot hole.
The Euro studded such as the OFA's or Aqulines will increase your traction much more then any other style of chain,
they can be found in an unstudded version if really desired.

/ CK2610HST R4 chain clearance
......... My previous tractor had R1s and ladder style chains got lost in the tread. ....... Both will mark up an asphalt or cement driveway if you spin a tire. No way around that.

I think you're right, and I'm being unrealistic. The 2 link ladder may be 'better' for asphalt, but will take their toll. If the neighbors don't like it, they can buy their own tractor. I thought the 2 links (vs 4 link) would prevent the chains from getting lost in the treads though.

To me the 1 5/8" clearance is completely inadequate the 2 1/2" would be the minimal acceptable for chain clearances......

The main reason for chains to mark up a driveway are spinning the tires.......

The Euro studded such as the OFA's or Aqulines will increase your traction much more then any other style of chain,
they can be found in an unstudded version if really desired.

I was leaning towards R1's anyway, after reading the countless threads here on the subject. I don't do a ton of loader work, and I don't have a lawn, so figure R1's fit the bill. Some of those chain brands are pretty pricey, but for people who make their living with a tractor, I can see the advantages.

Thanks for the comments, Toukow

/ CK2610HST R4 chain clearance #5  
The 2 link will definitely be better than 4 link on R1 tires. I ran my other 2wd tractor with 2 link and R1s for a number of years. They did help when it became icy because not all the cross chains fall into the tread. I only used a back blade for snow on the 2wd tractor and it needed all the pushing traction I could get. A friend wanted my 2 links, so sold them and went with the duo style. The duo style will tear up the asphalt and be rough riding as mentioned. 2 links would be your best bet and also a smoother ride than 4 links. I have 2 links for all 4 tires on my CK30hst with R4s. 3/8" crosslinks on the rear and 1/4" crosslinks on the front.Works well when a foot or better of snow falls.

The 2 link will definitely be better than 4 link on R1 tires. I ran my other 2wd tractor with 2 link and R1s for a number of years. They did help when it became icy because not all the cross chains fall into the tread. I only used a back blade for snow on the 2wd tractor and it needed all the pushing traction I could get. A friend wanted my 2 links, so sold them and went with the duo style. The duo style will tear up the asphalt and be rough riding as mentioned. 2 links would be your best bet and also a smoother ride than 4 links. I have 2 links for all 4 tires on my CK30hst with R4s. 3/8" crosslinks on the rear and 1/4" crosslinks on the front.Works well when a foot or better of snow falls.

Thanks. I stuck with the R1's, so hopefully the 2 1/2" clearance is adequate. I paid $100 for the 3510SE step; maybe a waste, we'll see. I've asked the dealer to quote the 2 link setup, as shipping gets pricey at $130. I sort of want to order them as part of buying the new tractor, as I know later I'll be doing the 'Do I really need them for the little bit of snow we get here? I mean, I have R1's after all'.

People complain about drivers here not being able to drive in the snow, and that has some merit given how little snow we get. We did have more last month than I've ever seen here at around 20". What they don't mention is we have terrible snow. You never have dry and 20 degrees, and then the snow starts and it stays cold. It's always raining, then snows, then gets 34 degrees, then 18, repeat.

After reading comments on the forum about hills and the dangers of sliding a tractor (without ROPS on my current tractor), I've been very lucky as I've slid my current R1's plenty. My driveway is steep enough that the Christmas before last, the grandson literally had his car upside down on it after sliding and going up the hillside bank. Tractor came in very handy in turning it back over; car was totaled. Some operator error to be sure, but the writing is on the wall for me to get chains if I intend to keep plowing it with the new tractor.

Thanks for the comments, Toukow

/ CK2610HST R4 chain clearance #7  
I do remember my local dealer telling me that spacers from an earlier model will work on the rear wheels even though Kioti says they won't.

Why not go with the R1s and have a step built a bit lower for you.

My CK2610 has 1 3/4" clearance with turf tires to the fender supports.

I do remember my local dealer telling me that spacers from an earlier model will work on the rear wheels even though Kioti says they won't.

Why not go with the R1s and have a step built a bit lower for you.

My CK2610 has 1 3/4" clearance with turf tires to the fender supports.

I stayed with the R1's and ordered the CK3510SE step, which gets me back close to R4 step height per the drawing I posted. I figured by the time I made it and painted/powder coated it, it was worth the $100, and I'll have a spare step if it ever gets damaged. Still waiting for a quote on the 2 link chains from the dealer.

I stayed with the R1's and ordered the CK3510SE step, which gets me back close to R4 step height per the drawing I posted. I figured by the time I made it and painted/powder coated it, it was worth the $100, and I'll have a spare step if it ever gets damaged. Still waiting for a quote on the 2 link chains from the dealer.

Update: My dealer said the 3510SE step would not work on the 2610 model. I'll make something new or modify the existing and have it powder coated.