CK 30 hay baling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / CK 30 hay baling??? #1  

ahoude

Tractor
nothing yet
I posted this on the general ag. board also but wanted to post it here also as most on this forum seem pretty knowlagable about the capabilities of the Kioti line. I think I am pretty set on getting a CK30 with gears. I have 17 acres thet I am going to maintain with this tractor (when I finish my house and actually buy a tractor), and think I want to put in about 5-6 acres of crop. 1-2 acres of pumpkins and/or gourds to sell at a roadside stand, and about 4 acres of hay. I'm pretty sure a CK30 and disk, plant, and mow 4 acres of hay, but can it pull and operate a small square baler??? I dont mind the slow pace I would have to operate it at, but would like to know if its possible or would I beat the machine up too much?? Any comments would be appriciated.

/ CK 30 hay baling??? #2  
This question gets asked quite a bit. It's not just the hp of the tractor. It's also the weight of the tractor. Too light a tractor, hilly ground, slippery ground and you have an unsafe situation. Also, you're going to have some expenses in equipment and 4 acres isn't a lot of hay.

/ CK 30 hay baling??? #3  
Andy:

30 horsepower is plenty for a square bailer and 4 acres but you still have to mow it, rake it, if it gets rained on, ted it and re-rake it again. For 4 acres, I'd have a local farmer fit it for you, then seed it either by drill or broadcast seeder and pull a drag like a section of chain link fence over it to set the seed. 30 horse won't even come close to running a disc mower, but a rear mounted sickle will work. Side delivery rakes are relatively cheap to come by used, but a rotary like a Kuhn takes little power to run and does a better job.

Don't even think of a round bailer, the tractor is too small. Your only consideration safety wise is pulling a sizeable hay rack behind the bailer. The loaded hay rack and bailer can easily outweigh the tractor and make for some white knuckle rides if you are on hilly ground.

I do quite a bit of custom work on smaller plots and charge the Michigan custom rate.

/ CK 30 hay baling???
I am thinking of the hay more for a little suplemental feed for a few head of cattle my brother-in-law and I keep talking about with a some for winter deer feed and possibly selling whatever is left. I was hoping a CK30 is enough for a small square baler and most of what I have read seems to indicate it is on the bottom of enough. Someone else also mentioned weight of the tractor being a factor and that seems to be good with Kioti's being heavy. I think I would leave the bales on the ground and get some help loading them on a trailer with my truck rather than pull that much with a tractor. Thanks for the replys.

/ CK 30 hay baling??? #5  
Another route to go would be a used tractor. You can pick up a nice used tractor that would handle all of those tasks for under 7K. It won't be 4x4 though. I have to agree though, 4 acres is not alot of hay.

/ CK 30 hay baling??? #6  
My question is there reason you need a compact? There are some reasonably priced utility tractors out that might fit the bill.

/ CK 30 hay baling??? #7  
Status
Not open for further replies.